MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

RF Nomad in 5U
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author RF Nomad in 5U
rh2y
Just curious how many folks would be interested in a 5U version of the RF Nomad voltage-controlled shortwave receiver module.

I did a handmade one-off "Atomic Shadow Edition", for Atomic Shadow (awesome guy, BTW, with fantastic music.)

One nice thing about the 5U format is that the Nomad gets a real SO-239 RF connector on the front, to make it easier to hook up to an outdoor receiving antenna.

If enough folks are interested, I may run a small batch. Let me know, and I'll get some quotes on sheetmetal and such, and come up with a price. I'm sure it will be more than the Euro version, but I'm thinking definitely sub-$300.

Russ
rkilman
I am interested...will it need an external antenna to work?
alternating.bit
What does the CV change, the tuning?

I believe Kindredlost has some sort of FM radio module, is it the same thing?
rh2y
rkilman wrote:
I am interested...will it need an external antenna to work?

Yes, it needs an external antenna to work. A length of wire is often sufficient, but if you can put up a dipole or similar, that works even better.

The CV input controls the tuning. The Tuning knob sets the base tuning frequency, then the bipolar CV input offsets the tuning.

You can run the CV way up into the audio range, which makes for some crazy effects.

There's a good demo of the Eurorack version at:

https://youtu.be/JVFyDpszyoA

More info at http://www.evatontechnologies.com/rf-nomad

Russ
rh2y
alternating.bit wrote:

This is shortwave, not FM. Different frequency band, and a different method of decoding the RF signal. Much more vintage-y sounding.
kindredlost
alternating.bit wrote:

Actually my Rat Shack conversion module is an FM/AM/Weatherband but I have it locked to the AM band. More talk radio there. Mr. Green

The shortwave Nomad was on my list a while back. Running a real SW antenna would be something I'd probably fail at. A short wire run is a more practical solution for me.
rh2y
kindredlost wrote:
alternating.bit wrote:

Actually my Rat Shack conversion module is an FM/AM/Weatherband but I have it locked to the AM band. More talk radio there. Mr. Green

The shortwave Nomad was on my list a while back. Running a real SW antenna would be something I'd probably fail at. A short wire run is a more practical solution for me.

A lot of folks have pretty good luck just duct taping a 25-foot length of wire around the ceiling of their studio. Rockin' Banana!
Dob
Yup, I would be interested.
Synthoholic
Anyone that is interested in this module doesn't need to be intimidated by the antenna.

Shortwave reception is quite easy. My dipole wasn't even erected, it was just coiled up on the floor behind the desk and I could still receive Radio Habana Radio China, Alex Jones, and various religious, foreign language, and numbers station broadcasts.

For those of you who don't have access to receivers at this time, this website will help you get some experimental sounds and will wet your whistle for some hardware receivers.

http://websdr.org

And Atomic Shadow kicks ass!
Atomic Shadow
It's a sexy module! Thank you very much Russ. And thank you too Synthoholic.

[/img]
unrecordings
I would definitely be interested if it were a kit without panel as i'm MOTM, even just a PCB with some of the more esoteric parts, or just the pcb (or two) :-)

I grew up with shortwave radio, it's disappeared somewhat since the 80's, but you can still get a buzz from trawling the airwaves here in Europe
rh2y
I got some interest over on the 5U group on Facebook, too. So, looks like I will make a short run of these. Can't say exactly when, but let's say "before spring is over"? I've got a few too many irons in the fire at the moment, but I'll make this happen.
Ambriant
[I would definitely be interested if it were a kit without panel as i'm MOTM, even just a PCB with some of the more esoteric parts, or just the pcb (or two) :-)

I grew up with shortwave radio, it's disappeared somewhat since the 80's, but you can still get a buzz from trawling the airwaves here in Europe]

I would be interested in just a PCB with some of the more esoteric parts as well.[/quote]
ualslosar
I'd be interested too in this project
Thanks
Larry
DJFonzi
I'm very interested as well. This is right up my alley.
If it winds up being a kit, just go ahead and send mine to Ambriant. Mr. Green
rh2y
I've put up a signup sheet at http://www.evatontechnologies.com/5u-signup

It'll help me to judge how many panels and such that I need to order, if you can sign up there.

I'll have an "official" announcement soon. Still tracking down some bits and pieces.
unwar
i would be down for one of these for sure.
tried to go to the signup sheet but got a broken link...?
rh2y
unwar wrote:
i would be down for one of these for sure.
tried to go to the signup sheet but got a broken link...?

Odd. I just tried it in a couple different broswers and it worked ok. hmmm.....

PM me your email address, and I'll add you to the list. Thanks!
DJFonzi
Link works for me as well
ach_gott
unrecordings wrote:
I would definitely be interested if it were a kit without panel as i'm MOTM, even just a PCB with some of the more esoteric parts, or just the pcb (or two) :-)

I agree!
alternating.bit
Let's say my location or antennae doesn't catch much at all... would it still at least emit radio static w/ distortion control?

I'm liking what I hear in this piece which used a Nomad...

rh2y
alternating.bit wrote:
Let's say my location or antennae doesn't catch much at all... would it still at least emit radio static w/ distortion control?

I'm liking what I hear in this piece which used a Nomad...

Yup, you always get at least static, and usually a bunch of heterodyne squeals, too, even in the absence of any station. It's also quite useful for exploring the various radio frequency emissions that are generated by everyday household electronic items. Old computers (Think "TRS-80" ) are really good sources of sonic material for the RF Nomad.

And of course, you will also get some stations from time to time, too, all depending on atmospheric conditions, time of day, location, surroundings, etc.

Atomic Shadow has a new album coming out soon that features the Nomad to very good effect.
unrecordings
If memory serves, washing machines tend to be quite good as they cycle through the wash program (although I admit there is a fairly hefty logistics issue here...)
alternating.bit
Cool. I signed up.
rh2y
This is definitely ON! nanners

Thanks to all who have signed up so far! Those of you who've signed up for the mailing list for 5U Nomads will get updates in email, but I'll also try to drop in here from time to time.

At the moment, the biggest news is that a whole bunch of you want these! Thanks for that; I'm quite stunned by the level of interest.

I'm in the process of designing the faceplate (Rod's prototype faceplate was handmade; the production units will be done by Metalphoto, so I need to get dimensioned drawings to them), and also the convertor PCB to allow the existing Eurorack PCB to be used in the full size module. I had hand-wired Rod's; a production-quality PCB will be used for the new units, mounted on standoffs, parallel to the faceplate, so that construction will be very similar to the synthesizers.com Q-series modules.

For the handful of you who expressed interest in MOTM; I'm making the adapter PCB so that it has both dot com and MOTM power headers on it; you're on your own for a faceplate. I may make a PDF overlay you can use for MOTM, but perhaps someone in MOTM-land would care to offer up one of their own?

Anyway, thanks again for the interest. My goal is to get these out by the end of the year or just shortly after.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3