MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

::blinnstrument...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> nw2s  
Author ::blinnstrument...
numan7
Rockin' Banana! i've got an nw2s::b. and i also have a roger linn designs linnstrument so-called multi-dimensional polyphonic expession controller.

the linnstrument (which also runs on an arduino due) tracks finger movements across a 25 x 8 grid of small thumbs-size force sensing resistor pads and can be configured to send each note on its own midi channel with midi information containing W (velocity), X (note pitch + horizontal pitch bend across multiple sensors), Y (vertical finger position across the currently active sensor) and Z (pressure). it has both din and usb interfaces for sending midi messages.

i would like to develop a sketch that basically allows an nw2s::b to detect and connect with a linnstrument set to 4 notes of polyphony over usb.

the ::blinstrument sketch would then receive the note on/off and other cc messages (rotating sequentially through midi channels 1 - 4 for each note), add the pitches + pitch-bends, scale the integers and output corresponding voltage values from the ::b's 16 analog outputs. 4 of ::b's digital outputs would also be used for gate pulses for the notes.

the ::b's analog inputs could be used to control the scaling of midi amounts to voltages (and the like). but i'll probably leave that for a later version of the sketch after the basic functionality is all working.

it doesn't seem like it should be too hard to develop.... maybe something already exists?

anyone else have a ::b and a linnstrument, btw?

edit: i do see that scottw has posted this thread (https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=139198) where he discusses one channel of what i'm looking for minus the Y-voltage. he also says its part of the prototyping for the forthcoming ::b2 (which makes me wonder if my lowly v1 ::b has sufficient computing horsepower for my requirements - we shall see....).

cheers
spacenoodle
I don't have a Linnstrument but I just wanted to say that the v1 is no slouch. It can handle the task provided the code is efficient. And this is the sort of stuff the b is intended for in my opinion.
numan7
thumbs up yeah, i figure if the linnstrument's ardino due can manage all the sensor, led and midi message processing on its side, the ::b should have no problems keeping up since it is the same processor.

hmmm..... a more ambitious future goal for this project could be to develop an alternate firmware for the linnstrument that sends higher resolution osc messages, instead of of midi cc's, along with a new version of the ::blinstrument sketch to decode and process the osc messages into voltages and pulses.

Dead Banana but first, i need to get the basic multichannel-midi sketch working and loaded on my ::b (well first, i have to finish putting my modular system and other musical gears back together again, after having moved it all across town a few months back)....

cheers
scottwilson
Hey there... the linnstrument uses a due? That's interesting. Sorry I missed this discussion - for some reason MW isn't alerting me to any of my subscriptions.

I like that - ::blinstrument! I think the midi/osc would be easy to handle over USB - There is some USB/midi host code in the unstable branch right now which you could look at and see how far you get.

Looking forward to hearing more about it.

s
Jcsveth
Have you done any more with this? I am looking at hooking up the ::b to a Snyderphonics Manta.
dadek
Would love to use my manta with my ::b. been getting back to it more recently.

Guinness ftw!
Jamnuska
Waiting for Roger to turn it into a sequencer. Then I might buy one.
numan7
Jcsveth wrote:
Have you done any more with this? I am looking at hooking up the ::b to a Snyderphonics Manta.

sad banana alas, no - i've been too busy, lazy, something or whatever to get any things like this done over the the past year (probably the situating of my computer in a different room than my synth gear has been the biggest culprit in this regard - also, my re-entry into the activity of motorcycling has taken much of the spare weekend time away from the other activities).... i do think should try to get back into it though !

cheers
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> nw2s  
Page 1 of 1