MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Mini Disc madness......
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Mini Disc madness......
mousegarden
Don't know if any of you have tried mucking around with these things, there is a neat trick that I'm sure has been done by loads of people, but it involves playing back on fast forward, so you get a slight break up of the signal, which is then recorded onto a second machine, you then play that glitched recording back using fast forward, and record that onto the first machine again, you keep going until you've reached a point where the degradation suites the music, it's a really neat effect, and doesn't sound like typical CD glitching, it's more interesting.

thumbs up
solaris
minidisc glitches are great.

will you post something to hear?
zyxt
MD's are awesome for lots of things. My first release was on a MD. thumbs up
arbito
I still have my little Sony MZ-R90 I bought in 2001. I really like those old Sony thin metal walkmans. Very techie, light and precise feeling. I'll have to break mine out and try this.
nangu
Yeah, I used to love doing that..

I also think there's something magical about the data compression. I can't stand MP3 compression at anything below 256, but I swear Minidisc's ATRAC compression can even improve the sound of some sources.

I recorded some friends playing live. The room acoustics were pretty weird and I thought the cymbals were too loud for the space- they seemed a bit harsh and cutting. But my Minidisc recording of the show sounded fantastic- it seemed much better than it sounded in real life. The little stereo mic that I used was nothing exotic, so I suspect that the data compression removed a lot of the mud that came from the weird room acoustics and also made the cymbals fit in better..
mousegarden
solaris wrote:

Love to, but as usual, copyright interferes. All of my mini disc excursions were done with a friend, who I fell out with, and he's very touchy if I even think about putting anything on any sites or try and use our material in my way. This is a constant issue for me, I have a couple of pieces we'd did that in my opinion are sublime, but they are stuck in a draw somewhere never to see the light of day. Sorry.
glia
this makes me want a second one

in the meantime i'll bounce between md and cassette to compare
mousegarden
glia wrote:
this makes me want a second one

in the meantime i'll bounce between md and cassette to compare

Yeah, you don't necessarily need another MD player, you can use anything, it just makes it quicker to FFW on the MD deck, rather than something else in real time.
bl13p
More Minidisc madness please!

My cassette recorders are the go to devices for sound degrading, but till now I didn't find many uses for the minidisc recorders.

This one worked quite well, but I'm not sure it has anything to do with minidisc technology as such: cheap portable radio headphone out to portable minidisc recorder. When recording noise(s) from the radio the minidisc recorder playing mechanism started interfering with the radio sound, and when moving the minidisc recorder to and from the radio (theremin style) I could alter those sounds too. Not very predictable, although it was possible to add some melodic content to the noise. Kind of a nice drone/musique concrète mixture, but unfortunately those pieces were accidentally erased when doing field recordings with the same disc. And the radio was stolen a couple of days later when standing in the hall waiting for the moving truck Dead Banana
travis_blitzen
Any recordings of this? Sounds really cool.
mousegarden
travis_blitzen wrote:
Any recordings of this? Sounds really cool.

As I said I can't post anything, but the best way I can describe it is that it's not as extreme as CD glitching, it's like you've gone through and cut out little slices of the music, and then, when you do it again, the slices are cut out in different places, it's great, try and get hold of an old machine, you can pick them up for virtually nothing.
Actually !!!! Just remembered, I've just been given a couple of the HHB Pro Portadisc's, I'm going to dig them out later and see if I can get them to do this effect, we used to use Sony machines ages ago, but I'm hoping these will do the same thing, if they do I'll post something up here
syncretism
It's been a while since I used minidiscs, but Mousegarden's description is accurate, IIRC. Scanning a minidisc, you'll hear longer, uninterrupted excerpts of the recorded audio, and it ends up sounding more like, say, Parmegiani than Oval. I chalked it up to larger buffers and random access, but I could be totally wrong.
ObtuseMoose
Trying to imagine what this effect sounds like. Is it close to the vocals in this piece? ("Reduction" by Echaskech)

https://youtu.be/vOEWwHltmPI?t=53

--
Moose
nangu
That sounds like stuttering. Minidisc is more of a smooth gating effect or granular synthesis. To fake it with granular, set it to synchronous grains so you get a rhythmic stream instead of randomized timing. Then set the grain density to something like 0.75, so it's a single stream of grains with some gap between them. I'm guessing that the grain length should be something like 250 milliseconds.

Both of my Minidisc units may be dead- I'll check. It's been years, and I was having major calibration issues the last time I tried to use them. I have so much old stuff on Minidisc that I should buy another unit if mine are toast. I'll post some audio here sooner or later..
nangu
It. Is. Alive.

My Sony MDS-302 booted up, and is working fine. Now that I think about it, there was some serious correlation between high temperature/humidity and the thing failing to calibrate.

Digging into the data pile now. Holy hell. Guess I was a badass back in the day. Just found a track that sounds like me thrashing a big stack of Euro. But it was made at least 15 years ago. Some of it must be Nord Micromodular, but I have no idea where everything else came from..

The scanning is very much like granular synthesis, but nowhere near as coarse as what I suggested in that last post. I'll shoot some video so you can see my fingers on the buttons. Just have to find some source that accentuates the effect..

Nuts. As I was typing this, the Sony started freaking out. Not sure whether it's the disc or player. If I can't fix it, I'll buy another unit ASAP.
nangu
The Sharp 702 that I used for all my field recordings seems fine. I'm sure the battery has gone to meet that great recharger in the sky, but it works great on the wallwart.

It's cranking out the lovely rhythm of an ancient Fairbanks Morse diesel engine right now. And I can't find a Micro SD card for my video recorder. I have a whole herd of them. It's always something...
nangu
I know myself just well enough. Apparently, I stashed an unopened Sandisk 32gb in a place that I'd only look if I got really desperate..

Video exists. I don't have the bandwidth to upload it right now, but it'll be posted here tomorrow.
nangu
This is not particularly brilliant, but you'll get the idea:

The source material is a recording of this crazy setup:

mousegarden
nangu wrote:
This is not particularly brilliant, but you'll get the idea:

The source material is a recording of this crazy setup:

Yeah, the magic comes when you do it a number of times....that log machine is totally awesome !!!
Torn n Frayed
I recorded many a live show/set using the ole MD. Still have boxes full of disks and a few players that still work.
spaceludes
Cool you guys just reminded me I have an old Yamaha MD-4 multitrack recorder! sometimes you gotta dig deep into the toybox! smile
xenosapien
mousegarden wrote:
solaris wrote:

Love to, but as usual, copyright interferes. All of my mini disc excursions were done with a friend, who I fell out with, and he's very touchy if I even think about putting anything on any sites or try and use our material in my way. This is a constant issue for me, I have a couple of pieces we'd did that in my opinion are sublime, but they are stuck in a draw somewhere never to see the light of day. Sorry.

awww chucks, I feel you there dude.... same thing happened to me and a friend who´s a guitar player (I used to play bass back a lot back then).

-> we had demos recorded for a full metal album and I had already started planning recording sessions...

And then we got into a fight - no that´s not true... our then GIRLFRIENDS got into a fight with each other, and loyalties took their toll... :-(

(we´ve since reconnected, but sadly most if not all of the recorded materials were lost in the 8 years that had passed...)

---

Anyhow, neat tricks! I´ve never fucked around with MiniDiscs as a creative tool, but all of my early band´s demos were recorded on MD... I even had a car radio that played MD.

My dad is using MD to this day as his preferred medium of choice... he claims it is the only "compressed" format that preserves the majority of the music´s dynamics. And I tend to agree... (as do you guys apparentyl ^^).
mousegarden
xenosapien wrote:
mousegarden wrote:
solaris wrote:

awww chucks, I feel you there dude.... same thing happened to me and a friend who´s a guitar player (I used to play bass back a lot back then).

-> we had demos recorded for a full metal album and I had already started planning recording sessions...

And then we got into a fight - no that´s not true... our then GIRLFRIENDS got into a fight with each other, and loyalties took their toll... :-(

(we´ve since reconnected, but sadly most if not all of the recorded materials were lost in the 8 years that had passed...)

---

Anyhow, neat tricks! I´ve never fucked around with MiniDiscs as a creative tool, but all of my early band´s demos were recorded on MD... I even had a car radio that played MD.

My dad is using MD to this day as his preferred medium of choice... he claims it is the only "compressed" format that preserves the majority of the music´s dynamics. And I tend to agree... (as do you guys apparentyl ^^).

Copyright issues can come between the best of friends, I've got tons of music I can't do anything with.
xenosapien
that sucks hard... no way around it too if you wanna keep your integrity (aka not rip off your ex-buddy while you´re at it)...
DIVINEAUDIO
Favorite minidisc trick - recording drums or vocals, or anything really, inserting track markers every (x) number of beats/measures/seconds and setting playback to shuffle. screaming goo yo
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2