MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Mutable Module Tester
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Mutable Module Tester
lcf
I see on the BOM that some of the Module Tester parts are obsolete. I managed to find some replacement parts but I have troubles to find the others...
Does somebody have a Mouser cart for the MI Module Tester with available parts please?

Thanks.
DMR
I built this last year but don't have the Mouser cart anymore I don't think. What parts are you having trouble finding?
adam
farnell has the shift register that mouser don't have - the farnell part no's are all in the bom

i made a mouser cart for this - there is a link in the pcb thread, though i have no idea if it still works or not
lcf
DMR wrote:
I built this last year but don't have the Mouser cart anymore I don't think. What parts are you having trouble finding?

I don't find replacement parts for:

74HC595N - réf : 511-M74HC595
DIP8 socket - réf : 571-1-390261-2
DIP14 socket - réf : 571-1-390261-3
DIP16 socket - réf : 571-1-390261-4

adam wrote:
farnell has the shift register that mouser don't have - the farnell part no's are all in the bom

i made a mouser cart for this - there is a link in the pcb thread, though i have no idea if it still works or not

I did not find your cart, which thread are you speaking about please?
I found one here but there is not enough references, this one is not good...
adam
https://uk.mouser.com/ProjectManager/ProjectDetail.aspx?AccessID=37efb 8a9b5
Quote:
here's a cart for the module tester:

i followed the bom to make this, i made some substitutions due to parts being discontinued or out of stock

specifically a midi socket and encoder - and an electrolytic cap i think

i've just tried these in the pcb and the new ones fit perfectly

there is no 40 pin socket in the bom (for the avr chip), but this one looks suitable, i got a zif socket on ebay instead

http://uk.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Mill-Max/110-44-640-41-001000/?qs=s GAEpiMZZMs%2fSh%2fkjph1tvt1%2fmEPT%2fXo32%2fKAtTErJw%3d

other stuff i haven't included:

resistors - just the standard Metal film resistors, all the trimmers, the resistor network etc are in there.

1N4148 diode 1 78-1N4148-TAP

Audio Jack, Neutrik NRJ4HF 1 550-10284, 550-1005

M74HC595 1 511-M74HC595

this ic is no longer stocked - i couldn't find a suitable replacement quickly but the farnell part number worked so i got one from cpc instead (free UK shipping on any amount ends today!, so you can just get this chip and the psu from there if you like, uk only)

http://cpc.farnell.com/nxp/74hc595n/74hc-cmos-74hc595-dip16-5v/dp/SC08 988?ost=3166028

and

http://cpc.farnell.com/stontronics/t2524st/ac-ac-power-supply-12v-1a-2 -1mm/dp/PW02820?ost=T2524ST

here's the google bom for reference:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1o6LM3zH8N17fx4zeTG2T73Dnv7AbmR ySQSgl0odrYOM/pub?output=html

other stuff - there are some m3 spacers etc which have reichelt part numbers listed - i'd suggest looking for these locally (like in your nation) - unless you're getting the other parts from reichelt too - the only complication is the lcd screen, i got the one listed in the bom because they have varying pin locations, sizes etc so it just seemed easiest to get all the stuff from mouser - haven't found this screen elsewhere

Erthenvar don't stock this jack any more - but they have another one which they say will fit:

WQP PJ301BM socket 6 Erthenvar: http://erthenvar.com/store/jack35mmv
lcf
adam wrote:

You're right the register is still available at Farnell. thumbs up we're not worthy
lcf
adam wrote:

So now I just need a substitute for the register MC74HC165ANG.
There was an other in this BOM but it's obsolete too...

I don't see any socket for the Atmega on the BOM... Is it normal???
duff
Try this thread
lcf
duff wrote:
Try this thread

Thanks!! thumbs up
lcf
I built it and everything is working fine appart the leds...
There was no polarity indicated on the pcb... I mounted them with the longest pin down.
When are they supposed to be blinking please?? hmmm.....
jamsk
The leds only come on when you press the corresponding button. If none work but the module tester does its likely they are all the wrong way round.
lcf
Thanks mate all's fine now!! thumbs up

Could somebody explain me how to test the voltages coming out of the power header with a multimeter please?? (hides)
I'm not sure of what pins to test and if it can do something bad.
I tested the Cv but I won't have any module before some days to test power generation.
adam
have a look at doepfers diy page and work out which pins are ground, put your black probe on there, then hold the red one against different pins and you should see the other voltages
qfactor
lcf wrote:
Thanks mate all's fine now!! thumbs up

Could somebody explain me how to test the voltages coming out of the power header with a multimeter please?? (hides)
I'm not sure of what pins to test and if it can do something bad.
I tested the Cv but I won't have any module before some days to test power generation.

Take a look at this:

lcf
Thanks Adam!!
Well it seems to be fine, I just mesured -11,87 for the -12V. Would it be a problem?? hmmm.....
adam
i think it's the voltage drop through one of the diodes, i get -11.85 consistently
lcf
Ok so it does not seem to be an issue...
I get 4,99V and 12V for the others.
oscarthesquirrel
lcf wrote:
There was no polarity indicated on the pcb... I mounted them with the longest pin down.

I have the same question...what is the polarity of the LEDS (before I solder then in)? Anode top or bottom ??? seriously, i just don't get it

From the schematic am I correct in assuming the +ve side is coming from the 220R and -ve going to GND ?

AND.....I've just answered my own question I think....

lcf
oscarthesquirrel wrote:
lcf wrote:

I have the same question...what is the polarity of the LEDS (before I solder then in)? Anode top or bottom ??? seriously, i just don't get it

You have to put the shorter leg(cathode) down.
oscarthesquirrel
Module working like a dream and I've used it 3 times today already to do a few things on my "to-do"list! applause
oscarthesquirrel
Got my acrylic case cut by yesterday from the Ponoko schematic and am looking at how to glue it together.

Ideally I would use acrylic cement, but has anyone had success with any other adhesives (excluding acrylate glue "super glue") ?
jamsk
oscarthesquirrel wrote:
Got my acrylic case cut by yesterday from the Ponoko schematic and am looking at how to glue it together.

Ideally I would use acrylic cement, but has anyone had success with any other adhesives (excluding acrylate glue "super glue") ?

I found I didn't have to glue it. With the slots and screws it was just fine. Also at some points I have had to swap the module power cable to a 16 pin for 5 volt module testing and glueing would have prevented that.
oscarthesquirrel
jamsk wrote:
oscarthesquirrel wrote:

I found I didn't have to glue it. With the slots and screws it was just fine. Also at some points I have had to swap the module power cable to a 16 pin for 5 volt module testing and glueing would have prevented that.

Good point... I'd forgotten about the screws Dead Banana
lcf
oscarthesquirrel wrote:
jamsk wrote:
oscarthesquirrel wrote:

Good point... I'd forgotten about the screws Dead Banana

If you need some screws I have some...
oscarthesquirrel
lcf wrote:

If you need some screws I have some...

Thanks for the offer thumbs up - I have a big box of M3 screws so I'm good for them - what I meant in my comment is that I had forgotten that I could screw the standoffs into the casing very frustrating
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2