Akemie's castle - what you doing with yours?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord

Vcoadsr
Veteran Wiggler

Akemie's castle - what you doing with yours?

Post by Vcoadsr » Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:38 am

[video][/video]
https://youtu.be/RHpDtbwEtlc

Now it's out in the wild I'm wondering what sounds people are getting out of theirs and any interesting patches?

Above is a little jam I did the other night using output A in the chord mode for some dub-techno-esque sounds and output B for melodic duties.

Phoobooz
Common Wiggler

Post by Phoobooz » Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:03 am

Really feeling that dub tech vibe you have going on. :)

Turboblast
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Turboblast » Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:22 am

nice jam!

Just watched the ALM demo. This thing is like shapeshifter thats been released from its menu prison. very cool.

When CVing the "wave" and the "multiplier", is there a way to get it to have a smooth transition between the waves for example?

MATSmile
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by MATSmile » Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:57 am

Turboblast wrote:nice jam!

Just watched the ALM demo. This thing is like shapeshifter thats been released from its menu prison. very cool.

When CVing the "wave" and the "multiplier", is there a way to get it to have a smooth transition between the waves for example?
No it just clicks from wave to wave. Still awesome sounding VCO.
I mostly do chord+inv stuff with mine

dang_motu
Common Wiggler

Post by dang_motu » Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:54 am

I am still well in the exploring phase with Akemie's but I am really liking the results I am getting with negative voltage envelopes hitting the various multipliers. I feel like a one-man Team Doyobi!
Last edited by dang_motu on Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

dang_motu
Common Wiggler

Post by dang_motu » Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:44 am

Actually, I'd be interested in getting some patch notes on ALM's newest instagram video. I understand he's using a combo of Brains, Pressure Points and Analog Memory (x2), but as I don't use or own these units, I'm a bit at a loss as to what's going on. I absolutely love what I am hearing, though:

Suburban Bather
Miami Flesh

Post by Suburban Bather » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:15 am

Sic :sb:
Heavy Lids

kwaidan
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by kwaidan » Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:10 am

Actually, it's pretty great for bass duties and house, techno, and dub techno chords. On A, I've been able to get somber Basic Channel and Deepchord-sounding dub chords by modulating the wave inputs with envelopes and LFOs. Simultaneously, on B, I've been able to get some powerful and dubby bass. I've also been able to get some nice ambient and industrial soundscapes out of it.

Unfortunately, most of the demos seem to focus on its chiptune capabilities, and it's really capable of more than that.

ALM
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ALM » Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:46 am

dang_motu wrote:Actually, I'd be interested in getting some patch notes on ALM's newest instagram video. I understand he's using a combo of Brains, Pressure Points and Analog Memory (x2), but as I don't use or own these units, I'm a bit at a loss as to what's going on. I absolutely love what I am hearing, though:

Im basically using the 'drum' patch as mentioned in the manual (envelopes into v/octs) and then Im modulating various inputs on an Akemie as well as attack/decay times on pip slopes driving the envelopes in. Each step of the make noise brains etc combo gives me 8 different voltage values as to modulate with. Im also putting gates via pam into brains run direction/ reset etc to further make things interesting.

ALM
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ALM » Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:48 am

kwaidan wrote: Unfortunately, most of the demos seem to focus on its chiptune capabilities, and it's really capable of more than that.
Yeah definitely. It doesn't sound chip tuney at all imho :)

dysonant
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dysonant » Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:02 am

sweet video. might have to clear out some other oscillators for this.

Vcoadsr
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Vcoadsr » Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:04 am

kwaidan wrote:Actually, it's pretty great for bass duties and house, techno, and dub techno chords. On A, I've been able to get somber Basic Channel and Deepchord-sounding dub chords by modulating the wave inputs with envelopes and LFOs. Simultaneously, on B, I've been able to get some powerful and dubby bass. I've also been able to get some nice ambient and industrial soundscapes out of it.
Yeah, definitely agree, what's nice is that whatever modulation you're sending both get effected but then if run through different filters can still get quite different sounds especially if they're octaves apart.

auxren
Veteran Wiggler

Post by auxren » Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:42 am

Still struggling a bit with mine, but in a loving way.

ben_hex
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ben_hex » Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:59 pm

In answer to the thread title waiting for one :mrgreen: then it's video demo time.
All DivKid video series to be found here!
http://www.youtube.com/divkidvideo

Modular Meets Leeds 2019 - August 17th & 18th - SAVE THE DATES

Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Daisuk » Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:05 pm

And I had convinced myself I wasn't really into FM synthesis. :lol: Nice video! Akemie's looks and sounds way more interesting than I had anticipated (because of the aforementioned reason).

dang_motu
Common Wiggler

Post by dang_motu » Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:28 pm

ALM wrote:Im basically using the 'drum' patch as mentioned in the manual...
Thanks for the detail! :yay:

Also, I've been able to get 303-ish baselines rolling out of B and then into a filter. It has much more versatility I was expecting.

matttech
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Akemie's castle - what you doing with yours?

Post by matttech » Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:41 pm

Vcoadsr wrote:[video][/video]
https://youtu.be/RHpDtbwEtlc

Now it's out in the wild I'm wondering what sounds people are getting out of theirs and any interesting patches?

Above is a little jam I did the other night using output A in the chord mode for some dub-techno-esque sounds and output B for melodic duties.
that was fuckin' ace! really enjoyed it :nana: :nana: :nana:

matttech
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by matttech » Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:45 pm

I'd love to hear a slow patch, with some long evolving envs or lfos into the LEVEL cv inputs - just to see how smooth it can get. I know that's not its forte, but it'd still be interesting to see/ hear

- plus maybe some stepped/ sequenced modulation of the waves as well at some point - just to see how it could all fit together.

just a thought :despair:

dang_motu
Common Wiggler

Post by dang_motu » Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:06 pm

matttech wrote:I'd love to hear a slow patch, with some long evolving envs or lfos into the LEVEL cv inputs - just to see how smooth it can get. I know that's not its forte, but it'd still be interesting to see/ hear
I have no recording to offer, but for what it's worth, I can testify that modulations are pretty smooth, minus wave changing modulations.

ALM
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ALM » Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:10 pm

matttech wrote:I'd love to hear a slow patch, with some long evolving envs or lfos into the LEVEL cv inputs - just to see how smooth it can get. I know that's not its forte, but it'd still be interesting to see/ hear
Matt, check the 2nd half of the demo video here http://busycircuits.com/alm011/ particularly the very end that goes more into that territory. Can get really blissful through a nice filter or reverb as can get very rich tonally.

Though the waveform switching is stepped you can blend the operators theselves in and out to get more morphing like of wave forms.

Also stepping of waveforms on a bass line can sound really nice.

ben_hex
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ben_hex » Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:16 pm

- plus maybe some stepped/ sequenced modulation of the waves as well at some point - just to see how it could all fit together.

just a thought :despair:
All notes for my demo later in the year :D

To double what's said the operators seem really nice and smooth and sequencing through the stepped waves looks cool. It was smooth as anything when I had a play back in the Brighton meet in May. Had a couple of Pip Slope's moving the operator levels.
All DivKid video series to be found here!
http://www.youtube.com/divkidvideo

Modular Meets Leeds 2019 - August 17th & 18th - SAVE THE DATES

Vcoadsr
Veteran Wiggler

Re: Akemie's castle - what you doing with yours?

Post by Vcoadsr » Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:04 pm

matttech wrote: that was fuckin' ace! really enjoyed it :nana: :nana: :nana:
Thanks!!! :banana:

kwaidan
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by kwaidan » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:34 pm

ALM wrote:
kwaidan wrote: Unfortunately, most of the demos seem to focus on its chiptune capabilities, and it's really capable of more than that.
Yeah definitely. It doesn't sound chip tuney at all imho :)
I agree. In retrospect, I should have wrote that the demos are rather glitchy sounding. I'll add that I never thought of buying the module until I saw the Instagram shot in café were someone was playing house chords.

xonetacular
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by xonetacular » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:48 pm

how is it using cv to change chords?

I like that it has chords assignable by cv and inversions assignable by cv, just seems like it could be a bit of a pain selecting the right cv values for different chords since they are all on one knob/input.

I was originally looking at a shapeshifter for chords, but that seems like a pain too since you have to save each chord to a preset and scroll though presets, but at least you can isolate the chords you want easily and know what you're getting.

far
Wiggling with Experience

Post by far » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:55 pm

Enjoyed that, nice work.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”