MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Has anyone used Bastl Skis
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Has anyone used Bastl Skis
AudioFetish
I have recently had a bit of a module clear out and am looking to make things a little bit more compact in places. I tend to make live techno on my modular, and already have a good few complex envelopes (2x Maths, Quadra and Expanda, Galilian Moons, Z4000)

i am looking for some simple AD EGs to use for percussion, bread and butter stuff like closed hi hats, and other metallic stuff.

Skis looks exactly what i need, (especially combined with the Noise Square, which is great) but i havent been able to find any real world feedback from users, so has anyone used them and what do you think?
adnauseam
It looks nice and simple but remember Skis has no control over the very very short attack phase. It is in fact just a dual Decay
AudioFetish
adnauseam wrote:
It looks nice and simple but remember Skis has no control over the very very short attack phase. It is in fact just a dual Decay

Thanks. Yeah i am aware of this, but i already have a lot of more capable EGs, i only need decay control for percusive sounds should have been clearer.
PK808370
AudioFetish I have one Skis and want another. It is too useful in 5hp and for this price! Sometimes, I use the VCAs separately from the Decays as well. As was mentioned, it is a basically instantaneous attack and variable decay. I use them mostly for percussion as well. I have both factory and kit modules from Bastl, all good quality.
AudioFetish
PK808370 wrote:
AudioFetish I have one Skis and want another. It is too useful in 5hp and for this price! Sometimes, I use the VCAs separately from the Decays as well. As was mentioned, it is a basically instantaneous attack and variable decay. I use them mostly for percussion as well. I have both factory and kit modules from Bastl, all good quality.

Thanks PK808370, just what i wanted to know. I am aware its decay only but i wanted to check the vca and EG quality is ok for using with percussion which is good news, thumbs up
i am going to pull the trigger on one. I have a Noise Squared from Bastl and the quality is fine, wobbly pots is my only slight reservation, but the amount of functionality in that 5hp is immense and sounds sweet.
smithknows
Yep. I've got Skis. Love it.
Glad you're asking. It was tough to find info before I bought it.

It's a great bang for the buck. Especially if you are using it primarily for percussion type things. Super snappy. And it's nice to have an extra vca.

One thing to mention. It has a sound to it. I've tried melodic things and it's so snappy that you always get a bit of a distorted attack. So there are limits to its usefulness.

But if you're making a snare sound out of noise you'll be very happy.
bensaddiction
I know the SKIs are expecting trigger pulses.

But how do they respond to gate?
Royalston
there is a jumper mode on the skis that responds to gates and decays after the gate off.
darmklacht@gmail.com
A friend of mine has the skis noisesquare combo. Its fuckloads of fun, im usually not into percussion synthesizing but it was so much fun that im considering the combo aswell or at leest the skis. The crunch on the Vcas sounded real great too
mr hoodee
Thanks for this guys, have been looking at getting one for simple percussive duties and this has pretty much sealed the deal for me. nanners
Grom
any idea for (percussive) bass?
AJFourier
love my skis in combi with the noise scare, also the vca is a nice extra.

jumper settings make it versatile as well

no brainer for the money
Robscorch
I've got one even made a custom break out for it.

Top two switches activate a long EG center position provides a clicky short one.

The second set controls the hold feature.

The buttons activate Lo-Fi and mute.

Good VCA for percussive stuff and non crucial things. Its only sort of crunchy though. screaming goo yo
AudioFetish
Nice work Robscorch thumbs up

Definitely going to be ordering one or two of these babies for £80 its rude not to This is fun!
bucketbrigade
I built a skis a few weeks ago and I really like it. I've only been using it for percussive stuff but it's great for that. The crunch sounds really nice sometimes, and if I want, its two vcas. Any way to sneak more vcas into my system, especially in a small module, is a super bonus.

I have a tea kick next to it and they are a nasty combo for rhythm stuff. Really inspiring. Got a noise square kit I haven't had time to make yet and I'm psyched to add it to the mix.
Robscorch
AudioFetish wrote:
Nice work Robscorch thumbs up

Thank you mate much appreciated. It's quite easy to make and I had a Make noise mult sitting around not doing anything so it was a no brainer. I have switched to using Intellijel hubs which don't take up HP space. I see no point in putting a non-buffed mult in a rack it's a waste considering these things exist.
careween_bacanak
Robscorch wrote:
Good VCA for percussive stuff and non crucial things. Its only sort of crunchy though. screaming goo yo

So like how crunchy It's peanut butter jelly time! is it?
Do you use it exclusively for percussive stuff?
mr hoodee
Skis came this morning via Cymru Beats applause

Not 100% sold on the wooden faceplate but for my purposes (simple percussive duties) its just the job. nanners
Robscorch
Let's say it's not as crunchy as I like, but it adds just a little bit think like Ensoniq 12bit sampling, but a bit tamer actually. It depends on what it's fed though.
AudioFetish
Ordered one from Cymru Beats looking forward to trying it out. Guinness ftw!
AudioFetish
Mine has now arrived and yeah, it is nice. Certainly has a "sound" that i like, not for everything but certainly useful especially for drum and perc sounds. It has a ton of onboard options that are all useful and is a very versatile module especially for 5hp. Certainly happy with the purchase This is fun!
basicbasic
Mine arrived this morning and i'm really blown away by how great it is - from the design and build down to the packaging. Just the perfect percussive Envelope/VCA combo.
starthief
Are the VCAs on Skis DC-coupled? I haven't seen a mention of that and with the distortion/filtering circuits I kind of suspect not, but I thought I'd ask.

I could use another couple of VCAs (of course) as well as either decay or AD/AR envelopes and the functional density here seems like it would be pretty great.
mmmcc666
I just bought one second hand but neither of the long/short jumpers seem to do anything, it seems to be stuck in long mode :( Any ideas? Am I doing something wrong?
R.U.Nuts
starthief wrote:
Are the VCAs on Skis DC-coupled? I haven't seen a mention of that and with the distortion/filtering circuits I kind of suspect not, but I thought I'd ask.

I could use another couple of VCAs (of course) as well as either decay or AD/AR envelopes and the functional density here seems like it would be pretty great.

They are DC coupled. I am using one of the VCAs as an AND logic gate at the Moment, running gate signals into both signal- and CV-inputs. -That wouldn't work if the VCAs were AC-coupled.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2