MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Black Swamp build thread
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next [all]
Author Black Swamp build thread
tojpeters
Xicon styrene cap,maybe not as low-leakage as it should be?
yan6
What type and function are the enable and load switch in the gated comparator. As well, what is the type and function of the solo switch, even though its not recommended I might as well fit it.

I missing two pcb's but other than that I'm full stem ahead on this and will start wiring up the led and pull switches while I wait for the pcb's.
tojpeters
Solo switch. This switch puts the sequencer into SOLO mode.
The top 3 rows will function normally,but the bottom row (row D) can be played as a keyboard via the touch pads,even as rows A-C sequence normally. Are you omitting the S&H? If so you need a SPDT switch. Wire the switch just like the right side of the drawing,S,S and 0v.
Omit the S&H and wire CGS87s PAD O4 directly to output jack D.
Here is a patch for the SOLO mode:
Row D output to 1v/oct input of VCO
Output of VCO into VCA
Output of VCA to mixer/monitor
P GATE to VCA cv input
Now when you press a touchpad the VCA will open and output a note that is tuned by the corresponding row D pot.
Now add a filter that is opened up by the PRESS output. You'll be able to sweep the filter by varying the pressure on the touchpad.
yan6
I will be omitting the S&H, I guess I didn't need to build the other half of the CGS28 d'oh!

So then the solo switch is SPDT ON-ON

what about the Enable and Load switches, what type & function are they

I may have missed it but where does the P-Gate led wire to
tojpeters
The LOAD switch is DPDT ON-MOM. That is on when up (normal position) and a momentary switch when held down.
You use it to manually add bits to the sequence. While down it also disconnects the LOOP IN jack.

The ENABLE switch puts it into self-looping mode.
In this mode it functions similarly to a KLEE sequencer.
You choose the number of steps with the rotary switch.
3PDT ON-ON
Send a clock signal to CLOCK and noise or the output of a VCO,even the one you are driving,to IN. Adjust the SENS knob so you can see the COMP LED flashing. To much input and all the outputs will go high and there will be no movement.
This will get a random sequence going. Send the MIX output to the 1v/oct input of a VCA. Adjust RANGE knob to taste.
Flipping the switch up starts a loop and disconnects the input (IN).
You can program a manual loop by sending a clock signal to the CLOCK input with no input to the IN jack,flipping the ENABLE switch up,and tapping in a pattern with the LOAD switch. Kinda sensitive,it might take a few tries to get a pattern you like.
Remember any stage that is lit will go to your output so if you want a 4 step loop turn the pots for stages 5 through 8 all the way down.
tojpeters
P-GATE LED comes from the CGS39 built as an OR gate,pad L4
yan6
It looks like the CW outer pad needs to be bridged with the second to outside pad used for the 9mm pots. There is a top side trace connecting the two, but the through hole for the 9mm isn't plated and doesn't make connection

tojpeters
Ken mentions that on his site. Supposed to be just an early run,but obviously they are still showing up,
yan6
In a day of too many distractions i made a bit of progress.

Its probably hard to tell but if anything stands out as incorrect let me know.

On row C wire point A is left long. Does this end up at the solo pcb. Additionally there isnt a connection between row C and row D. Row D also ends up at the solo pcb which makes or break the connection based on the solo switch stae, correct hmmm.....
tojpeters
Yes it goes to the solo PCB.
In normal mode the K bus output passes through the solo pcb to the row d pot and the individual gate out from the touch pads passes through to become your push button stage selector.
In solo mode the push button connection is disabled and the K bus is replaced with a 5v (or whatever you set via the voltage divider on the solo pcb) source.
So K bus goes from row C to the solo pcb, row D gets its K bus or solo voltage from the solo PCB
tojpeters
You will probably need to turn the row A pots to a 90 degree angle for boat clearance
tojpeters
Here is a diagram of the solo mode

yan6
tojpeters wrote:
You will probably need to turn the row A pots to a 90 degree angle for boat clearance

not a problem there, I only had the in there loose for the photo thumbs up

On Row C the link at R1 isn't needed right, since the Row C K bus goes to the solo pcb

Edit: hang on, the link is still needed. Wire pad A from the pot board then carries a K bus from each pot to the solo pcb.
tojpeters
No R1 link needed for row D
yan6
Are there two connection points here; the first is to the switch, where does the second one go hmmm.....

[img][/img]
tojpeters
CGS87 (main sequencer board), PAD PO (stage number)
yan6
been making some small amounts of progress Mr. Green

I was a little foggy on the switch wiring at first glance, but I think I have it correct now

tojpeters
Looks good.
Test the sequencer before you do the touch pads, random, or vertical sequencer.
At least 3 of these have been successfully built, so you can do it.
Always glad to help.
Jon
yan6
what were the values for R1 & R2 on the solo pcb.

Are the unlabeled caps also .01uf

Is 330nf close enough for the 300nf
tojpeters
R1 and R2 form a voltage divider to control the range of the row D output while in solo mode.
A link at R1/omit R2 will give a 5 octave range.
I used 10k at R1 and 6.8k for R2 for a 2 octave range.
.01uf for all the decoupling caps is fine, 100nf would be fine also.
The cap by the regulator is 330nf,the overlay is obscured there.
yan6
Welp life got in the way of this one big time; the last six months have been really crazy with me helping my wife setup a retail boutique. That shit was no small task, everything from renos to barcode inventory d'oh! But its alive and doing well and my life is slowly returning to normal. There was also about a two month wait on shipping from Aus to Can for two missing pcb's seriously, i just don't get it really unusual, everything previous has only been two weeks max.

Anyways enough side tracking and back to work. It might take me a few dumb questions to pick this back up mid stream and figure out where I was Dead Banana but first things first, I want to finish populating the panel

In the gated comparator are the range, sens and vc sens all B100k
tojpeters
Range and VC sens are are 100k lin,sens is 10k lin
yan6
tojpeters wrote:
Note on solo switch: I found the S&H to be unstable and drifts too quickly so I'm advising omission.

Was there a new drawing for this switch with the S&H omission
tojpeters
CGS 87s PAD O4 is wired directly to ROW D output jack bypassing the switch.
You can use a SPDT on-on switch for the solo switch.
yan6
tojpeters wrote:
CGS 87s PAD O4 is wired directly to ROW D output jack bypassing the switch.
You can use a SPDT on-on switch for the solo switch.

So then this is all the wiring that remains for the SPDT
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next [all]
Page 4 of 8