MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Black Swamp build thread
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next [all]
Author Black Swamp build thread
tojpeters
This is based on the SWAMP panel (permission granted) with some updates and labeling changes plus a few new features like touch pads and a Solo mode wherein you can play row D as a touch keyboard while rows A-C continue sequencing. Some boat trimming will be required.

First up is a CGS36 pulse divider/logic. The pulse divider has a reset button and a 'syncopate' switch that forces it to reset at /7,causing the lower divisions to take on a funky syncopated feel.
In between the 2 half's of that module is CGS31 digital noise.
It has both random gates on the panel (with LEDs) and the internal clock is available at the clock I/O jack when not using an external clock. There is a low speed mod for this as well that involves leaving out 1 resistor. LEDs for all the divisions.
Next up is one of my favorites, CGS13 Gated Comparator.
This has a few wiring and label changes as compared to the SWAMP. The loop enable switch is wired so it cuts off the input while in loop mode. The former loop enable jack is now labeled loop disable,a gate here will end the loop. There is a load button that adds bits to the loop manually. The loop in jack next to it adds bits when sent a gate. There is a rotary switch to choose the number of steps in your loop,one position goes to another loop in jack useful for cascading another gated comp into it. The sequencer knobs are all push-pull,pulling the knob disables the bits,1-8.
Now the sequencer. CGS87 8 step plus a single CGS59A board,CGS 28 SEQUENTIAL SWITCH, CGS86 8 PAD SERGE TOUCH RESPONSIVE KEYBOARD, 2x CGS39 QUAD LOGIC GATE, CGS 07 NOISE,YuSynth RANDOM GATES, and a board from me for the solo function.
Row A are push-pull pots for scaling the output voltage. The switch position of this knob affects the entire column. Each column has a 3 position gate switch with gate 1 that lasts for the duration of the clock pulse,a center no gate position,and gate 2 which starts when the clock pulse goes low. With PWM you can adjust just how long each gate lasts and when gate 2 starts.Each column has 2 switches that can be wired as run/hold/skip or run/stop/skip for each direction hold makes that stage stay on until a new stage is select,stop lets the stage in question play and then step to a 'ghost stage' at the next clock pulse.
Each column has a touch pad. There is a solo switch that allows row D to be played as a keyboard while rows A-C sequence normally. Vertical sequencing (A-B-C-D) can be set to reset after row b,c,or d. You would want to reset it after B or C when using Solo mode. There is a reset button for the vertical sequencer.There is also a random sequence feature. And a stop jack,a gate here will stop the sequence at the ghost stage. I recommend CGS91 rails and maybe 2 of the CGS94 pot mounting rails.

Wiring guides for the BLACK SWAMP
Mount your switches first,then do the gate bus and LED busses. I am not using washers on the front side. I found them to be visually obtrusive.

tojpeters
1.5" standoffs,4-40 pan head screws in 1/2" and 3/4",1/4" nylon spacers,1/2" threaded spacers, #4 nylon insert locknut

You need to drill a couple hole to mount the CGS59A board under the bottom rail. Don't worry about the traces,this is just a mounting rail.

This nut is very close to the pads,a plastic washer here would be nice.

Pulse divider and logic.

The next board gets spacers. Digital noise

Gated Comp. Mounting this board with power header at the bottom makes more sense.

Touch pads board,note 3/4" screws at top

No power header (clearance)

Sequencer boards under the rails. CGS mini-rails.

The small sequencer board

Solo board (this is a prototype)

The quad logic boards get stacked here

Random gates board goes here. Mine has not arrived,this is just to give an idea. The random gates board holes don't quite line up correctly and a bit of hole enlargement/slotting is necessary.

Sequntial switch. Note the 3/4" screws. Power header at bottom here also.

Then the noise/S&H

tojpeters
Notes on CGS28: Link pad SW to pad +VE. Pad CLK connects to the stage out jack of sequencer column 1. For 12v use a 20k resistor in place of the 15k next to the box marked NF near the TL074. Solder a 4.7M resistor between pins 13&14, pins 9&8, and pins 6&7 of the TL074. I also needed to build a voltage divider with a 68k to ground and a 100k to +12v. The 5v output at the junction goes to pad UD. I also needed to add a link from pad RSS to pad RST.
This circuit seems sensitive to 12v vs. 15V.
I have built quite a few of these on 12v. Using a TL074CN from STMicroeletronics it works fine without these changes,Texas Instruments TL074 needs theses changes to work. If you don't need these panels to work on the same power supply that is used for 12v stuff you already have I would build it all for +/- 15v.

Note on solo switch: I found the S&H to be unstable and drifts too quickly so I'm advising omission.

tojpeters

no need to label these wires,any output from the Random Gates board can go to any stage select input-they are random after all

tojpeters

Row A are 100k lin pots with a DPDT switch activated by pulling the knob.
The pot has a voltage divider built into the switch. You can choose different resistor values to suit your taste,the way drawn you will have around 2 octaves with the knob in,10 octaves with the knob pulled.
keep all your resistors nice and low on the switch and pot terminals,some places will get 2 more wires.

This is for the bus leading to I1 on CGS87S

This forms the K bus for each stage

Ground bus

K bus and ground connections to row B. Don't forget the link at R1

Row B to Row C Only 1 ground wire needed.
from Row C the K bus goes to the solo PCB pad C

I1 bus

This goes to I1 on CGS87. Just cut a long wire and trim to proper length once you have the boards mounted.

This will go to pad K on CGS87

A nice long wire on row C at all the pad A,Row D gets a long wire at each pad B,no link need at R1

Ground connection for Row D

Another long wire to be trimmed later at pad M on all 3 pot rails heading to pads I2-4 on CGS87S. Pick any Pad E and place one more long wire to connect to 0v/ground
tojpeters
There are not 2 seperate lines to the H pad,I've drawn it this way for clarity. You could also wire this for run/refuse/skip in both directions. As pictured you will have stop in the middle position for up direction,refuse for the down direction.

remember the link from pin 3 to 5

Another diode bus for the stop function

Up direction switches. These wires will go to pin 2 of the next column. Don't forget the next column after 8 is1

Down direction, all these will go to the middle terminal of the next stage,once again the next step after 1 is 8

Add link for H wire

G wire. Don't forget the wire from the previous stage,in this case stage 8

H wire

J wire, with previous stage wire
tojpeters

You can add a strip of bus wire to strengthen it

tojpeters

tojpeters

Remove this after you build it and set aside until you need it

tojpeters
Enable switch is 3PDT ON-ON

tojpeters
tojpeters
Leave out the 4.7M resistor for lower speed. Replace 1k8 with 1k5 for 12v use

This is where the wire for the clock out connects

modintx
Looking great Jon.

Do you happen to have a photo of the final front panel. I'm curious what push pads you used (CGS red pads?) and the push/pull pot/switches.

Would you be willing to share part #'s for those (Pads and Push/pulls) as I'm starting to build the parts BOM.

Cheers!

w00t
tojpeters
CGS touch pads, Alpha push-pull pots from Smallbear.
Do the push-pull pot option to add the analog white and pink noise. When the digital noise is slow enough to make good use of the clock out and random gates the digital white and pink noise are too slow. Don't forget to omit the 4.7m resistor. I must have a pic of the panel somewhere,but I've already sent this one off to a new home.
modintx
Excellent - Thank you Jon.

Also, sorry one more current question, I've taken a quick look around to try and find the YuSynth RANDOM GATES PCB. Thonk, Synthcube etc - are these available somewhere else?

we're not worthy
tojpeters
Synthcube was supposed to have the Random gates boards months ago. I do not know what is up. If you contact Scott Deyo at Bridechamber and ask nicely he might be able to hook you up.
J3RK
Just about to leave work, and I'm not familiar with the random gates PCB, (so will have to look it up later,) but I imagine we could whip up a circuit that would work there, if getting the other ones is difficult. Let me know if you would like to go that route. Happy to help.

w00t
tojpeters
It is a dead simple module. Like Baby 10 easy. I like it a lot but I wouldn't have included it if I knew it was going to get difficult to obtain. Bridechamber was always my source.
Chaotic
J3RK wrote:
Just about to leave work, and I'm not familiar with the random gates PCB, (so will have to look it up later,) but I imagine we could whip up a circuit that would work there, if getting the other ones is difficult. Let me know if you would like to go that route. Happy to help.

w00t

If so, I'm interested in a couple for my TPS It's peanut butter jelly time!
Can never get enough randomness hihi
modintx
J3RK,

That would be super cool if you could take look and see if it's possible - not having much luck finding this PCB out in the wild waah

SlayerBadger!
J3RK
Just took a quick look at Yves' schematic. I have several circuits that could be easily adapted to do this. We could also replace the CD4006 with a CD4094 since the 4006 isn't being made anymore. (still available, but not mfged) The 4006 is a larger shift register, but I think we can get something comparable out of the 4094 using a maximal setup of XOR gates. I should have some time over the next few days to whip something up. This would be a very simple PCB, 1"x6" will be more than enough with 4U in mind.

To make it a bit more versatile for use in other projects, I could put a very small white noise circuit onboard with a comparator. The threshold could be set via trim to color the data going into the register. This would be an optional portion, but could allow for a different sort of pattern output to just LFSR. I can separate it by a line on the PCB, so it's clear which portion is not required. (or not, but it might be kind of cool) I'll see how much space is left after the main portion is done.

I'll include a reference voltage for the logic levels, so it will be easy to set this up for 5 or 10 volt gates.
modintx
Woot! what a total life saver. J3RK to the rescue again - thank you so very much for taking the time to work on this.

Brilliant options as well. Can't wait to see how the noodling turns out...

we're not worthy we're not worthy we're not worthy w00t w00t screaming goo yo SlayerBadger! screaming goo yo screaming goo yo Guinness ftw!
tojpeters
A couple thoughts; Make sure it includes an AND gate with the clock so that it doesn't hang on the last stage when the clock signal is removed, and maybe add a inverter and AND gate so you can use two boards together for a 16 step sequencer-board one is active when the clock is high,board 2 when the clock is low. Or will that make a stage active with no clock signal? Getting rid of the 4006 would be great,they are hard to find. Thanks!
Chaotic
J3RK applause applause
Count me in for two or shall I say three?
Yes I´ll say three nanners
yan6
I too am in we're not worthy
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next [all]
Page 1 of 8