MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Box 4 - AUXBOX
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Box 4 - AUXBOX
alternating.bit
This will make much more sense once I reveal my new portable modular system I'm building (I've scrapped the Modbox entirely), but here's how I currently plan to use my Box 4 to supplement my larger portable. Of course, the fun thing with modular is you can always change your configuration, however the Box 4 is incredibly shallow, so it can't fit many of the deeper modules. In case you're wondering why I'd bother using up a slot for standards, I find that for live performance it's nice to be able to switch semi-octaves of a VCO controlled by a sequencer for variety. Not to mention I already have a duo Yusynth Standards in my mod wall.

JohnLRice
Looks like a handy little 5U 'skiff'! thumbs up
Henfield
If you want something a little deeper, and a little wider, Moon offers these cases:

http://www.lunar-experience.com/DOWN/500T.pdf

They are available at Noisebug. A littler pricier than the small Dotcom units, but they come with the wooden sides and power supply.
alternating.bit
Henfield wrote:
If you want something a little deeper, and a little wider, Moon offers these cases:

http://www.lunar-experience.com/DOWN/500T.pdf

They are available at Noisebug. A littler pricier than the small Dotcom units, but they come with the wooden sides and power supply.

Dang it, now you tell me! d'oh!
I couldn't understand why Dotcom didn't have anything between 4 and 11... a 6 would be ideal for me. Grrrrrr (already bought the Box4)

I wonder what the two holes in the back are for on those Moon cases. But they're about $50 more, which isn't completely unreasonable.
ba1
alt.bit,

Where and when do you preform live? Le us know next time.
alternating.bit
ba1 wrote:
alt.bit,

Where and when do you preform live? Le us know next time.

Nov 14th.
www.facebook.com/events/396109717244019

Thanks for the interest.
DJFonzi
alternating.bit wrote:

Nov 14th.
www.facebook.com/events/396109717244019

Thanks for the interest.

Rad! Wrong coast for me, but do post some audio/video of the show if possible.
bphenix
I finally took JLR's recommendations and bought an EWI rack for a new small system I've am building. It arrived today and it is perfect with the extra bonus of being very portable if I ever want to take it out. Or I could convert the lid into another system.

alternating.bit
bphenix wrote:
I finally took JLR's recommendations and bought an EWI rack for a new small system I've am building. It arrived today and it is perfect with the extra bonus of being very portable if I ever want to take it out. Or I could convert the lid into another system.

Very cool! I toyed with that idea for a long time, but preferred my modbox because of its greater depth. But yours will be much more compact and a bit lighter.

DJFonzi wrote:
Rad! Wrong coast for me, but do post some audio/video of the show if possible.

Will do, though most likely for this show I won't have any modular since the stuff I ordered is still in customs overseas and I don't think I'll get it in time. I'll probably be using my Korg MS-20, Minibrute and a drum machine.
alternating.bit
alternating.bit wrote:

Will do, though most likely for this show I won't have any modular since the stuff I ordered is still in customs overseas and I don't think I'll get it in time. I'll probably be using my Korg MS-20, Minibrute and a drum machine.

Actually I think I will end up having a modular "skiff" of some sort there now.
coyoteous
Is anyone out there currently using the Box4 (2 or 1) for modules other than keyboard controllers?

I'm all rack frames for MU here, but I've had a hankering for a Box11 for some time... just couldn't do it because of the extra width (and to a certain extent, height with the multiples area).

Revisiting the Box4 and remembering it's even shallower... seems to be a tight fit for even S.C modules.

Anyway, just looking at these for inevitable expansion, overflow and maybe kind of a more portable little subsystem (it also looks like you could bolt two B4s together and even add rack ears).

The notion of having a MU system in a few interconnected tabletop "boxes" is interesting, too.
bandwidth
I've got a couple of Box 4's bolted together and installed in a pair of wooden sides (MDF) that I cut and painted. I made a shelf to hold a SQ-1 and old SR-16.

coyoteous
bandwidth: That is sweet... no problems with the depth of the Moon or Synthesizers.com modules?
bandwidth
The Moon 563 fit like a glove - it is tight, but it works. The dotcom modules fit well, but I did have an issue. There are 6 screws that hold the Box 4 bottom and sides together. The middle screw on the left side interfered with every module I tried there (the left-most position) and caused me to install the blank there. I suppose I could either remove the middle screw, or take my Dremel to it to cut it down a bit. Overall, they're pretty handy!
Lowgritt
alternating.bit wrote:
This will make much more sense once I reveal my new portable modular system I'm building (I've scrapped the Modbox entirely), but here's how I currently plan to use my Box 4 to supplement my larger portable. Of course, the fun thing with modular is you can always change your configuration, however the Box 4 is incredibly shallow, so it can't fit many of the deeper modules. In case you're wondering why I'd bother using up a slot for standards, I find that for live performance it's nice to be able to switch semi-octaves of a VCO controlled by a sequencer for variety. Not to mention I already have a duo Yusynth Standards in my mod wall.

i love using standards for that as well! its nice to record a sequence using standards to create a initial song arrangement with verse/chorus sections via scale changes if thats your sort of thing of course wink
coyoteous
bandwidth wrote:
The Moon 563 fit like a glove - it is tight, but it works. The dotcom modules fit well, but I did have an issue. There are 6 screws that hold the Box 4 bottom and sides together. The middle screw on the left side interfered with every module I tried there (the left-most position) and caused me to install the blank there. I suppose I could either remove the middle screw, or take my Dremel to it to cut it down a bit. Overall, they're pretty handy!

Good info... thanks!

If anybody has Box4s they're not using and might want to sell, please let me know.
PeterDeVault
I did something similar for a different purpose. This guy has a mic stand adapter bolted to the bottom so it can be used to control the synth from a distance. I built two of them so my partner and I can have dueling synth controllers. Sometimes we fight for the same modulation, other times they're connected to different things. I had to modify the Arcade to get it to fit, but it's sweet.
[/img]
Eric the Red
PeterDeVault wrote:
I did something similar for a different purpose. This guy has a mic stand adapter bolted to the bottom so it can be used to control the synth from a distance. I built two of them so my partner and I can have dueling synth controllers. Sometimes we fight for the same modulation, other times they're connected to different things. I had to modify the Arcade to get it to fit, but it's sweet.
[/img]

That sounds awesome!! Do you have a video of it?
PeterDeVault
Eric the Red wrote:
That sounds awesome!! Do you have a video of it?

Not yet. So far, the performance hasn't made it out of my basement music room. But there are plans... And then I will definitely post video.
coyoteous
That whammy bar always cracks me up!

Nice work... no problems other than modifying the arcade?

What did it require?
MrNezumi
PeterDeVault wrote:
[/img]

That is awesome! I love the idea of remote control and dueling VC.
alternating.bit
It is fun to see this thread come alive! Funny I sold my Box 4 pretty quickly actually. I felt it was too limiting both in module count and depth. But these are some cool ideas you've shared.

The last configuration I had going with my Box 4 was as a portable sequencer.

(video insert not working for some reason so):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70w8NldrFYc

bandwidth
I bought a Standards after watching an alternatingbit video of him modulating a sequence with it. The acquisition of the Standards made me realize I needed some expansion room. I bought a second Box 4 and expanded my rack to accommodate it. The circle is complete!
coyoteous
Nice!

a.b: this was the biggest, baddest and maybe only Box4 thread I found, so
I tagged on instead of starting a new one.
coyoteous
box6, anyone?

I've had a bare box4 from a fellow wiggler for a few months now (no wood sides or feet)... just got a box2 with sides and feet from the mighty Tronman and merged the two yesterday ala bandwidth into something that is more than the sum of the parts for my purposes.

Yeah, no pictures, but you can imagine... though it's actually cooler than I had imagined (my first S.C wood, too... ha!).
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2