MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index

FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
Happy new year to everyone! Thanks for being part of this place, every year you all get cooler and cooler. Apologies to everyone waiting on me for PMs, emails, subforum creation, etc. The holidays have been super busy! I'll be catching up over the next week, please hit me up again at that point if I haven't gotten back to you yet. Sorry for the delay. Thanks! <3

Am I too late? (talk of 'modular')
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> BugBrand Devices Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author Am I too late? (talk of 'modular')
southphillysynths
I'm coming from euro land and thinking that I may try out frac. I specifically see a lot of people using bugs along side serge and I have lusted after serge for a while but I just don't think it will happen.

Anyways I want to stick with one manufacturer for modular and bugbrand seemed to be right up my alley as far as functionality/techniques in modules. I prefer AD evnelopes, simple vcos, wavefolding etc.

When checking the website it seems the modular is not really being produced anymore. I wanted to start with maybe one 19'' rack to begin with. How hard are these modules to come by? I feel that people that already have large systems are not wanting to sell them off...

[[BugEdit - I added some extra words to the title]]
clarke68
southphillysynths wrote:
When checking the website it seems the modular is not really being produced anymore. I wanted to start with maybe one 19'' rack to begin with. How hard are these modules to come by? I feel that people that already have large systems are not wanting to sell them off...

They come up on B/S/T occasionally. The nice thing is that Bugbrand owners tend to be cool folks so, if/when they sell their systems, they tend to offer them for the price they paid and not marked up 15x.

Tom runs his business the way he runs his business. If he were interested in a boring, endless manufacturing gig I'm sure he would have kept cranking out Bugbrand modules until they were everywhere.

If you haven't already, sign up for the newsletter on his site...that way you'll be first to hear about anything that happens. I'm no more "in the know" than anybody, but there was a glimmer of hope in this morning's email...
BugBrand
[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/217872568" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_use r=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]

I won't be making modular modular any more, but a new pre-configured design (covering all the points you mention above) is well underway!
southphillysynths
BugBrand

WOW sometimes I just have perfect timing! screaming goo yo

Well as long as it has nanners and I can make some good bongo/nature sound patches as well as do droney sequency stuff I'm in!

SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger!

(and in the description it says your sequencing with a minibrute, I will most likely be doing that as well so that is pretty exciting!)
keep a lookout on BST, and money ready, if you're able to buy bugbrand, it'll most likely be a full system. It's a great system, I really miss mine, I had to sell mine for a trans-state move and regret it. I ended up with a fairly large system before I had to sell for renting fees. I regret it most days! the bug LPGs are my favorite outside of buchla. And a host of other great modules.

Amazing how all these great modules came from just one guy BugBrand! BugBrand! It's peanut butter jelly time!
southphillysynths
3001 wrote:
keep a lookout on BST, and money ready, if you're able to buy bugbrand, it'll most likely be a full system. It's a great system, I really miss mine, I had to sell mine for a trans-state move and regret it. I ended up with a fairly large system before I had to sell for renting fees. I regret it most days! the bug LPGs are my favorite outside of buchla. And a host of other great modules.

Amazing how all these great modules came from just one guy BugBrand! BugBrand! It's peanut butter jelly time!

thanks for the input! I would probably only really want 1/2 rows for a system honestly. It seems that most systems are at least 4-5 meh

we will see what the new system has to hold, I'll start saving now and try to hold on for a while to see what comes up/ what comes out...
BugBrand
clarke68 wrote:
Tom runs his business the way he runs his business. If he were interested in a boring, endless manufacturing gig I'm sure he would have kept cranking out Bugbrand modules until they were everywhere.

Ha, yeah, I know.. (though I do get kept busy building still - I do all hardware assembly and testing myself still [very occasional a very little help] - quite possibly not the most sensible way but...)

The thing with the Modular was that it was sooo nebulous and all consuming - the scope of it just grew so much since I launched it - it was great, but life changes (becoming a Dad and moving) made me realise it wasn't viable to continue in that way. Actually, I did already before that want to change things up somewhat, but that was the catalyst. Since then I've just done 'self-contained' designs.

Good thing, though, is that these changes meant I got a chance to pause & consider - I've been able to do a lot of extra work (reading,simulation,testing) to take the old ideas and make them even better [in red & blue] - so, a good growth!

I'm still trying out a lot and dreaming of many different areas - but I always was someone who threw a lot at the wall with only a little sticking. These days it takes a lot longer to bring something out. I've shown a few of the prototypes I've done up and then realised they weren't right (slightly or totally) - its all iterative - kind of like ongoing practice.

Like, last night I began imagining using BBDs.. will try, for sure - though I must keep some focus on the main releases coming down the line.
Kalerne
BugBrand wrote:
[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/217872568" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_use r=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]

I won't be making modular modular any more, but a new pre-configured design (covering all the points you mention above) is well underway!

Wow. This sounds very good !

Would this design include some sequencing/randomness ? (sorry if that's too early for asking)
blue_lu
To all the bugbrand insiders - how would you describe the bugbrand sound? Is the approach more east or more west coast like (talking about pinging filters, etc...).
BugBrand
No, no sequencing within - that would be a later frame.
But great fun driven by external CV/Gate - Korg SQ1 is a lot of cheap fun, for example. VCOs track well and are nicely stable!

Bug-sounds -- someone said a few days ago (can't find) that plugging into BugBrand sounds like plugging straight into the electrics. Not sure?! Ha!

This machine may appear quite 'standard' in its synth architecture, but it has some nice oddities built in. While it 'only' has 3 VCOs, there are actually 4 other oscillation sources (loop envs & self-osc filters).
phisynth
blue_lu wrote:
To all the bugbrand insiders - how would you describe the bugbrand sound? Is the approach more east or more west coast like (talking about pinging filters, etc...).

not sure how to define it precisely, but after a gig I made last week on it, some euro freak came to me saying "wow, I'll never be able to get such a huge sound out of my rig", and said to me later he then tried all night long hihi.

Pretty much says all I think ;-)
slow_riot
I think you've got a good thing going at the moment Tom with high quality creative boxes. Another Tom I know was saying that he wished things like that existed: pedal like devices but with interesting musical circuits, and I was glad to forward him your details.

I look forward to seeing more of your creations!
vegas7188
Cor this new machine sounds quite exciting, have been keen on having more modulation sources for the various Red Bugs i have, and have certainly lusted after the Blue Bugs for quite a while now. Looking forward to seeing what the future holds!

(Think i might pick up an SQ-1 soon too)
southphillysynths
three vcos and other mod sources is way more than I even had in the 9u that I had! SlayerBadger!

even more excited now
exper
This is very interesting. I've pined for a small BB system ever since hearing BananaPlug's system at the philly modular meets. Something very alive to it. And the LPGs are amazing on it. If this standalone system has a Bugbrand LPG or two in it, I might have to jump on it.
a100user
Like many established BugBrand owners I'm also looking forward to these new pre-configured designs.

Because Tom will only release something when he is happy with it, I can say I haven't had a module or unit that is then discarded for something else. I assure you that having happily dumped a ton of Euro rack that is saying a lot.

[q] how would you describe the BugBrand sound? [\q]

There are traces of both east & west but fundamentally it's all Bug, everything gels - the best thing about single designer systems I believe.
BugBrand
exper wrote:
If this standalone system has a Bugbrand LPG or two in it, I might have to jump on it.

Sorry, I gave up the use of vactrols a few years ago.
exper
BugBrand wrote:
exper wrote:
If this standalone system has a Bugbrand LPG or two in it, I might have to jump on it.

Sorry, I gave up the use of vactrols a few years ago.

sad banana
slow_riot
Vactrols are mainly popular because of how willing people are to give up cash in return for Buchla forgeries.

For the £5-10 that needs to be paid for a good VTL5C3 you can get an AD633 linear multiplier, or a THAT2181, which outperform the vactrol in every area except perhaps CV feedthrough.

Oh, and the VTL series has now been discontinued anyway, so any designer with good conscience would not sell a design with an obsolete part.
s_d
ha, the electricity comment was mine - hard to describe, but patching Bug does feel like tapping into raw power sometimes. kinda like trying to harness an elemental.
BugBrand
LPGs are nice when you select the right vactrols, but I found the variance too much, even for small production runs. Their specs tend to be pretty wide (super wide for the NSL32s - I remember stumbling across the guy who'd designed those and he described the specs as 'wide enough to drive a truck through'!).
arnoux
Great news, just joined the newsletter to avoid missing the new devices.

Always thought I was late too, great, great to now there's this new synth on the desk in the ecxact moment I'm looking for alternatives to my euro, this looks like the perfect one, the missing one, don't know how to say it better.

Tom, just to know, do you see another Spring Tanker and DRM1(X) batch in the future or are those atomic candies discontinued?
BugBrand
I've still got boards for maybe 20 more Spring Tankers.
DRM1 bits are all gone for now - not sure if I'll do another run - certainly not imminently.
AyeAye!
arnoux
BugBrand wrote:
I've still got boards for maybe 20 more Spring Tankers.
DRM1 bits are all gone for now - not sure if I'll do another run - certainly not imminently.
AyeAye!

Thanks for the reply, hope to see the Spring Tanker reissue succeed!
BugBrand
I'd not consider it a re-issue (nit picking!)
May be interesting for people to hear how I do things now..
I typically order a production run of 60 boards (fully stuffed - SMD for most parts, except for a few caps and all headers) & 60+ panels (few extra in case of scratches/blemishes).
Then I finish these up in several smaller batches over some months. I fit all the hardware components myself to the control boards (switches, pots etc so I can be sure they're good). Then put together main board, control board and panel, add knobs etc, put in a case (which are standard parts shared by all designs), then test and calibrate.
Smarter people have suggested I out-source more, but somehow I still don't! I did used to have someone working for me 3 days a week, doing much of the assembly, but I couldn't keep him on when life changed 2.5 years ago (parenthood, moving country briefly, then living in the countryside). I do have an occasional helper to make a few of the control boards, but that's kind of rare at the moment.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> BugBrand Devices Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3