MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Interface for stereo line in recording for iPhone videos?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Interface for stereo line in recording for iPhone videos?
xonetacular
I just want to take stereo line out from my computer interface into the iphone and have it work with the native camera app without messing with anything.

This is just for recording quick modular videos since it is not really worth manually editing videos for what I'm doing

I had tried one of the TRRS adapter cables a while back that plugs into the 1/8" jack and it sounded absolutely horrible and worse than using the iphone mic

So looking at interfaces I know the apogee duet will do this but not looking to spend that much for this, budget maybe around $100 or so, possibly a little more.

It seems there is a lot of stuff geared towards guitar, but really looking for stereo line in.

Can anyone comment on interfaces they have used that definitely work with the camera for this specific purpose? I'm just unsure if the camera app would automatically select the source from line in on some of these interfaces since there are multiple inputs, some with built in mics, and no way to select audio source in the camera from an external source. These seem to be geared towards audio recording apps where you can select the channels and they don't mention video in the specs, so I want to be sure it will do what I want with video before buying.
wildfrontiers
I use the Line 6 Sonic Port which fits in with your budget. It plugs in through the USB plug and works pretty well (check my Youtube channel in my sig and all the videos there were made with iPad+Sonic Port). I wouldn't recommend anything that plugs in through the headphone jack. I tried a few of those and they were all shite.

Also, you can't monitor the audio being recorded with the native camera app. It does record the audio coming in, but you can't hear it until after you record. I use an app called MoviePro which is fantastic. Allows you to monitor the audio and there's more video control settings than the native app. Only $5 to boot.

Hope this helps, just one of many possible avenues to explore in this realm.
xonetacular
that is a huge help, thank you

good app suggestion too.

what iphone are you using and any issues?
wildfrontiers
I use an iPhone 6 and an iPad mini (the 1st one). I haven't had any issues whatsoever with this setup...well except for the video files take up so much space, but they are high quality after all cool
xonetacular
just bought a sonic port for $40 on ebay, we'll see how it works but that's even better than $100

for anyone else interested in one there are a bunch here, I put in an offer for $40 and it auto accepted it, so you could probably get it even cheaper

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Line-6-Sonic-Port-iOS-Guitar-Interface-with-Li ghtning-Cable-Only-Make-Offer-/321893540106?hash=item4af259a10a:g:M58A AOSwPhdVKCJ9
branbolio
xonetacular wrote:
just bought a sonic port for $40 on ebay, we'll see how it works but that's even better than $100

for anyone else interested in one there are a bunch here, I put in an offer for $40 and it auto accepted it, so you could probably get it even cheaper

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Line-6-Sonic-Port-iOS-Guitar-Interface-with-Li ghtning-Cable-Only-Make-Offer-/321893540106?hash=item4af259a10a:g:M58A AOSwPhdVKCJ9

Thanks for the heads up! Couldn't resist and got one for $28 offer!
revtor
Ive got a sonic port too, good interface, records stereo and lets you monitor etc. Tascam PCMRecMKII is the app I've used successfully w.the sonic port.
CeeJay
Here is another free app for this task: Impact from Focusrite
http://us.focusrite.com/apps/impact#
noisejockey
Another vote for the Sonic Port. Even though I mostly use the Audio Damage ODIO for audio I/O with my modular, I keep the Sonic Port for being on the road with the iPad and other boxes (Microgranny, OP-1, etc.).
xonetacular
CeeJay wrote:
Here is another free app for this task: Impact from Focusrite
http://us.focusrite.com/apps/impact#

nice thanks! will check it out

tried my sonic port today, I think my 1/4"->1/8" adapter is bad since I seem to have issues getting both audio channels to record (and had issues with headphones too). have a new cable on the way so hopefully that will fix it.

edit: working great now
gimber
branbolio wrote:
xonetacular wrote:

Thanks for the heads up! Couldn't resist and got one for $28 offer!

Got one on a $25 offer. applause Thanks for the link!
xonetacular
revisiting this....

the sonic port gets the job done but I kinda want something better. my videos still sound a bit flat and not as clear compared to what I hear actually coming out.

I'm very temped to get an apogee duet but it's so expensive and hard to justify dropping that much on something to make videos. then I see peoples vids that I know use one and it just sounds so much better.

im wondering if there is maybe some middle ground in the 200-300 range but I don't want to regret not just getting the duet.'

edit: nevermind, I just bought one... Dead Banana
xonetacular
so apogee duet arrived

very nice and well built. I tried to do some quick a/b testing last night with the sonic port.

Honestly after matching levels it's really hard to tell the difference between the two, might not even be able to tell the difference at all as much as I don't want to admit it.

I think my issues with the sonic port could be from levels and clipping it. The sonic port only has one led on it to show clipping, and the apogee has much better meters on it plus a soft limiting option.

The app I use (imoviepro) has decent meters on it so maybe I just need to rely on them more and be more careful about levels- but it's a struggle to try to get maximum loudness without distorting.

The apogee duet is very nice but it's a lot bulkier and also needs external power, and I'm not a fan of the mess of the breakout cable. Will hold onto both for a bit to compare but it might be hard to justify keeping the Duet for this.
bemushroomed
I'm currently using istudio from behringer to record live videos with line in sound, it works ok but the video quality is crap since i have to use the front camera on the ipad3..

So I'm thinking of buying the Line 6 Sonic Port and instead use the more portable iphone with it. I have some questions:

1. Does it work for iphone 6s Plus? (i dont see why not?)

2. Does it come with the required cable to connect it to the phone (no info whatsoever on this when you check the product). I found 1 user on ebay who sells it, he specifically writes it does not come with any cables at all. Not sure if its just his units. What cable is required (also impossible to find info about this, i checked Line 6's site too).

Thanks
flx
I'm using the Behringer UCA-202. It's cheap, powered by the iOS device, has a monitoring headphone port with a separate volume knob and stereo in and out, which is cool if you want to use the iPhone as an effects device (I love the Crystalline app).

I record my Instagram videos with it. Instagram mixes stereo to mono by the way, so I can even record and mix two different (mono) instruments with the stereo interface.

https://www.instagram.com/tuesdaynightmachines/
bemushroomed
flx wrote:
I'm using the Behringer UCA-202. It's cheap, powered by the iOS device, has a monitoring headphone port with a separate volume knob and stereo in and out, which is cool if you want to use the iPhone as an effects device (I love the Crystalline app).

I record my Instagram videos with it. Instagram mixes stereo to mono by the way, so I can even record and mix two different (mono) instruments with the stereo interface.

https://www.instagram.com/tuesdaynightmachines/

Ah, that seems like a pretty good alternative, thanks.

Followed you on instagram, nice videos smile

Edit: i guess i need something to convert Lightning In to USB In though since this device is USB. Any recommendations? Do i need that Camera Connection Kit-thing?
xonetacular
bemushroomed wrote:
I'm currently using istudio from behringer to record live videos with line in sound, it works ok but the video quality is crap since i have to use the front camera on the ipad3..

So I'm thinking of buying the Line 6 Sonic Port and instead use the more portable iphone with it. I have some questions:

1. Does it work for iphone 6s Plus? (i dont see why not?)

2. Does it come with the required cable to connect it to the phone (no info whatsoever on this when you check the product). I found 1 user on ebay who sells it, he specifically writes it does not come with any cables at all. Not sure if its just his units. What cable is required (also impossible to find info about this, i checked Line 6's site too).

Thanks

yes the sonic port will work with the 6s plus

the sonic port is still a pretty good value I think and sounds good.

The sonicport should come with the correct cable- it is a lighting cable with a proprietary connector to the sonic port.

there appears to be some sellers on ebay that have a bunch of open box sonic ports with no cables, but if you buy elsewhere it should come with it and line6 does sell the cable separate if you needed

this is the cable: http://www.fullcompass.com/prod/247908-Line-6-21-34-0240

probably simpler to just find one with the cable but if you can get one for like $10 without it maybe it's worth it
bemushroomed
The Behringer one costs £14, with shipping to sweden.. The Sonic Port costs almost 4x that (with shipping), so i think i will go with the behringer unless the audio quality is miles ahead with the Sonic Port.

Just need to figure out what cable i need to get USB into the iphone. There's probably something cheap on ebay too.
flx
bemushroomed wrote:

Ah, that seems like a pretty good alternative, thanks.

Followed you on instagram, nice videos smile

Edit: i guess i need something to convert Lightning In to USB In though since this device is USB. Any recommendations? Do i need that Camera Connection Kit-thing?

Thanks! I use the original Apple USB-Lighting CCK and so far it worked fine with audio interfaces, keyboards and MIDI adapters.
bemushroomed
flx wrote:

Thanks! I use the original Apple USB-Lighting CCK and so far it worked fine with audio interfaces, keyboards and MIDI adapters.

Is the USB cable on this device detachable so that i could replace it with one that has micro-USB in the end?

Im thinking that this would work: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OEM-8-Pin-lightning-to-Micro-USB-Adapter-f or-iPhone-iPad-Mini-Air-/281967276624?hash=item41a68f3250:g:X9wAAOSw7T hUhI2S

and its dirt cheap.

Edit: NVM.. found this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/8-Pin-Male-To-USB-Female-OTG-Adapter-Lightning -Cable-For-iPhone5-5-5S-6-6s-plus-/391484147265?hash=item5b26460641:g: AccAAOSwNuxXYSL6

hopefully that would work smile
flx
bemushroomed wrote:

Is the USB cable on this device detachable so that i could replace it with one that has micro-USB in the end?

No, the cable is not detachable and you really need the Apple Camera Connection Kit.
AdamJay
Another UCA-202 + Apple CCK user here.
Never let me down.
Even use it to record live performances with the Tascam PCM iOS app, records stereo .wav
bemushroomed
flx wrote:
bemushroomed wrote:

No, the cable is not detachable and you really need the Apple Camera Connection Kit.

You tried with the (much) cheaper ebay alternatives and it didn't work, or you just assume it doesn't work?
flx
bemushroomed wrote:

You tried with the (much) cheaper ebay alternatives and it didn't work, or you just assume it doesn't work?

I only ever tried it myself with the original on,e but I've heard from other who went the cheap route and these things weren't reliable sooner or later.
brandonlogic
I am upgrading to the iPhone X (no headphone/headset jack) I’m trying to figure out how I will be able to record audio in direct for Instagram vids, live streams etc. I am currently using irig2 now, but none of the lightning to headphone jack adapters appear to support headset(audio in).
So I’m wondering if anyone has any suggestions for devices compatible with the new iPhone x for getting direct audio in? Dont want to spend over $100. Dosent nessesarily need to be stereo, mono is ok.

Thanks
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2