MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Expression pedals for CV
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Author Expression pedals for CV
Stevenb3
I am still new to all this. I have been building up a pretty basic setup starting with the pittsburgh modular system 10.1+. I am using it for some live stuff, and thought a expression pedal would be great to have, so I went out and bought a moog EP-3. I checked with the guys at sweetwater.com, and they assured me that it would do the trick, but I have tried plugging it into a few different CV parameters with no effect.

I am not sure if the pedal is not working, or if I need something in the synth to make the pedal compatible, or if I just need to find a different pedal. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
blt
That is a passive expression pedal, it doesn't create CV, only regulates CV sent through it. There are pedals that create CV, and also modules that allow the use of passive expression pedals to control CV. Something like a Doepfer a-177 or the ADDAC 301's will do the trick.

Here is a thread with some more info:
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=136901&highlight=
knifey
I think ADDAC is the best way to go. They've got expression and sustain pedal modules. I've been eyeing them for a while to combine with an external instrument interface (Sewastopol/Befaco Interface) so I can use my flute to trigger my Eurorack, and using foot pedals to modulate stuff.
Switched Out
Can anyone recommend a well-built, compact foot switch (not pedal) for the Doepfer a-177-2? I've used an expression pedal with it for years, but haven't ever gotten into the foot switch part, and would like to explore that.
flo
Wow those guys at Sweetwater sure didn't know their stuff hihi

If you don't mind a bit of modification, you can just stick a 9V battery into the pedal.
gearhead61
flo wrote:
Wow those guys at Sweetwater sure didn't know their stuff hihi

If you don't mind a bit of modification, you can just stick a 9V battery into the pedal.

My sales connections at Sweetwater have always been very knowledgeable & helpful ~

I'm guessing it wasn't relayed to the Sweetwater staff that an active expression pedal was the requirement; that's not something that seems to be needed a lot...
missingtwin
Quote:
If you don't mind a bit of modification, you can just stick a 9V battery into the pedal

so here's a potentially dumb question but...

couldn't i wire a 9v battery to the input of a passive
volume pedal and have 0-9v DC current at the output
of the pedal?
pricklyrobot
missingtwin wrote:
Quote:
If you don't mind a bit of modification, you can just stick a 9V battery into the pedal

so here's a potentially dumb question but...

couldn't i wire a 9v battery to the input of a passive
volume pedal and have 0-9v DC current at the output
of the pedal?
Yes, it will work. Did this many years ago with a cheapo volume pedal to make use of the Filter CV Input on my old Prophet 600.

Ended up swapping out the pot though (linear usually works better for CV).
scottmoon
I've got a couple of these that work with the Moog pedals. http://pulplogic.com/product/express/
spinach_pizza
Not made anymore, but these are useful if you can find one:

http://www.americaspedal.net/fx17/
Ranxerox
I confess to being a bit new to all this expression pedal stuff as well... I got a Moog EP3 recently, which has a stereo jack socket rather than a captive lead. Would I be right thinking I could use a Y-cable to send a fixed DC offset to the 'tip' and connect the ring 'return' to a modulation destination, varying the amount via the pedal?
woodster
I'm just about to release a DIY euro module called the 7 Dials CV Express, check it out here -

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=145913&start=0

We do also plan to have fully assembled retail units available soon.

dkcg
Another route would be to plug the Moog EP3 into a Mission Engineering Expressionator and you would have 3 CV outputs mapped to the EP3. The Expressionator defaults to TRS expression outputs, but there are dip switches inside you can flip to make the outputs CVs (I believe they are 0-5V). The cool thing is that you can assign different mappings to the outputs, like inverting, changing lin to exponential, and two "LFO" modes. I bought mine originally for pedals, but it should work with modulars. It worked great in CV mode with the Moogerfoogers.

http://missionengineering.com/?product=expressionator-2
durwin
Source Audio Reflex Expression pedal
ringhof
durwin wrote:

Am i right that this pedal sends out CV 0-5V on its own?
GuyaGuy
ringhof wrote:
durwin wrote:

Am i right that this pedal sends out CV 0-5V on its own?

Yes and it can also be switched to be a passive expression pedal.

Also: Adding Moog MP 201 to the list here.
pines
Also the Korg MS 04, pricey on the vintage market, but cool. I bought one for 10 bucks in the early 80’s. It’s still working!
huffnPuff
The Moog expression pedal is passive but you can hook it to a CP-251. You’ll be limited to +/-5v though.
/\/\/\/\/\/
Is there anything to watch out for plugging CV into expression inputs (apart from voltage range)?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Page 1 of 1