MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Alternatives to Livewire AFG
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Alternatives to Livewire AFG
SonicRevolutions
Hi,

It seems impossible to get my hands on a Livewire AFG.
Is there anything out there with similar capabilities?

Thx in advance!
ben_hex
Similar tones and character from the Erica Synths varishape VCO -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TabnHI7NQ9M
AudioFetish
SonicRevolutions wrote:
Hi,

Thx in advance!

No. If you want that tone hold out for an AGF. One will pop up eventually. If you want a paticular sound it is usually frustrating tying to replicate it. The feature set on the AGF is rather unique in euroland and well worth the wait thumbs up
ben_hex
AudioFetish wrote:

No. If you want that tone hold out for an AGF. One will pop up eventually. If you want a paticular sound it is usually frustrating tying to replicate it. The feature set on the AGF is rather unique in euroland and well worth the wait thumbs up

True, but seriously check out the Varishape VCO. Using the sub and inverting the waves in the mixer then added PWM to the square you can get very similar tones to the animated waves. It won't sound exactly like an AFG (I have both) but it gives off a very similar vibe. Which might capture what you're looking for.
EarlJemmings
Apparently the malekko wiard oscillator has a very similar core, and some feedback patching can get very similar to what comes out of the AFG
Dcramer
The great thing about the AFG is the way it will animate (a little like PWM) the positive and negative halves of the waveform independently w00t
ben_hex
Dcramer wrote:
The great thing about the AFG is the way it will animate (a little like PWM) the positive and negative halves of the waveform independently w00t

Yep love

Mix that with a SAW (not your usual square) sub and you're off! w00t
AudioFetish
Intrigued Mr Hex. Maybe i can have a wiggle of one at the next meet ;-)
SonicRevolutions
Thanks for the replies guys, will definitely consider the varishape VCO after seeing the vid!

Hit me up if any of you ever want to get rid of your AFG... thumbs up
ngarjuna
There have been a couple Livewire modules that have resurfaced this year at Big City Music (the VCF and I don't recall what the other one was). They currently have the following written about AFG on its catalog page:
Quote:
We are still waiting for more Livewire AFG modules. There is no certain date of arrival, but we will update whenever we have a date. The Audio Frequency Generator is a true vintage-style

So personally I think it's just a matter of time before the AFG resurfaces at Big City, I'd keep an eye out. But it has been in the works for a while so who knows when...
SonicRevolutions
Thanks I'll keep an eye out!

ngarjuna wrote:
There have been a couple Livewire modules that have resurfaced this year at Big City Music (the VCF and I don't recall what the other one was). They currently have the following written about AFG on its catalog page:
Quote:
We are still waiting for more Livewire AFG modules. There is no certain date of arrival, but we will update whenever we have a date. The Audio Frequency Generator is a true vintage-style

So personally I think it's just a matter of time before the AFG resurfaces at Big City, I'd keep an eye out. But it has been in the works for a while so who knows when...
FatRocky
SonicRevolutions wrote:
Hi,

Thx in advance!

I see AFGs in the FS section here in Muffs sometimes.
I think they are great modules with no replacement. Specially the animated pulses which are one of the best trigger sequencers in the world to my opinion.
FatRocky
WHEN ARE THE AFG EXPANDERS GOING TO BE READY very frustrating very frustrating very frustrating angry angry angry very frustrating angry very frustrating very frustrating very frustrating angry angry angry angry angry angry angry very frustrating very frustrating you kids get off my lawn you kids get off my lawn you kids get off my lawn you kids get off my lawn you kids get off my lawn you kids get off my lawn you kids get off my lawn you kids get off my lawn you kids get off my lawn you kids get off my lawn you kids get off my lawn you kids get off my lawn you kids get off my lawn you kids get off my lawn you kids get off my lawn you kids get off my lawn you kids get off my lawn you kids get off my lawn you kids get off my lawn you kids get off my lawn you kids get off my lawn you kids get off my lawn you kids get off my lawn you kids get off my lawn you kids get off my lawn you kids get off my lawn you kids get off my lawn you kids get off my lawn you kids get off my lawn you kids get off my lawn you kids get off my lawn you kids get off my lawn you kids get off my lawn you kids get off my lawn you kids get off my lawn you kids get off my lawn you kids get off my lawn you kids get off my lawn Dono-Kun Dance Dono-Kun Dance Dono-Kun Dance Dono-Kun Dance Dono-Kun Dance
ndkent
Actually that gets me thinking I should sit with my AFG and try to suss out what's going on in some more of the unusual features.

The Erica module definitely shows the strength of what they implemented, which is quite clever but has two sort of given shortcomings. Clearly what is going on is a solid VCO design with attenuverters and a mixer hard wired to the wave outputs. Intrinsic with basic attenuverters come those 2 shortcomings, first there is no 100% dead zone on the pot so there is that leakage as mentioned on the video. Second is it's entirely a non-CV mix operation. Yes you can dial in the outputs to create non-typical shapes but it's a manual, non-CV process. The pots provide neat shapes but only the standard PWM adds CV animation though the XMOD gets you a bunch of new timbres not directly related to the attenuvert and mix interface. I guess it would require a breakout or more cluttered front panel but if they would have provided individual wave outputs then you could avoid the leakage from basic attenuverter mixing. CV controlled attenuverting which isn't common does open up some very interesting timbre animation with multiple outs and mixing.

As for the Richter oscillator. It's major offering is something not on the AFG or most analog VCOs, that is a second set of waves (not sine though) with a variable phase output. It is a saw core as I believe the AFG is, but then again so are the majority of VCOs. But since I don't know the details and it could very well be a related design at the core. The feature set is quite different so even if one could say that the design of the saw core has much in common the feature set is really different.

Now you could externally patch some attenuverters & mixer on other VCOs. As for the Richter, for an even more unique imho Erica effect could be patched externally given that the phase output is VC and changing it surely has a big impact on the composite shape
AudioFetish
No linear FM on the Erica, deal breaker for me that one.
ndkent
AudioFetish wrote:

What's the XMOD doing exactly? The video talked about audio rate modulation.
meatbeatz
FatRocky wrote:
Specially the animated pulses which are one of the best trigger sequencers in the world to my opinion.

you are so right about this.
AudioFetish
ndkent wrote:
AudioFetish wrote:

What's the XMOD doing exactly? The video talked about audio rate modulation.

Not sure. Manual just refers to ausio rate modulation. No mention of whether this is linear or expo. It would be cool if it was capable of linear FM. It is a smart looking module. Would seriously benifit from a BOM to get direct access to those waveforms though.
SonicRevolutions
Reply from Livewire on AFG availability:

Quote:
Hi Frank, the entire line is currently being updated. They'll be stocked in the usual places once everything is ready.
FatRocky
SonicRevolutions wrote:
Reply from Livewire on AFG availability:

Quote:
Hi Frank, the entire line is currently being updated. They'll be stocked in the usual places once everything is ready.

amazing! i hope they wonn't forget the afg and chaos computer expanders
thetwlo
[quote="FatRocky"]
SonicRevolutions wrote:
hope they wonn't forget the afg and chaos computer expanders

Would be great to see the AFG expander, I think years ago The Harvestman was working on it, as the Hertz Donut was also designed to be compatible with it.
bazzevo
Ben Hex. Have you messed with the Mangrove yet? This is a little crazier but can get similar results too. Amazing fresh sounding VCO.
Filternauts
Off the top of your headz, are there any other OSCs that have a transistor based sub osc like the ercia Varishape VCO?

Thanks
asix
Had an opportunity to get my hands on AFG for around 800 dollars and while I was considering it for just a day it was gone. Damnit!
Dcramer
Also love that my AFG has two 1v/Oct inputs! Great for sequencing! w00t
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2