MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Module Current Draw Database
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Author Module Current Draw Database
Babaluma
milkyjoe wrote:
Hmm, are my questions too stupid or something ?
I feel like no one ever wants to help me out here. I get a negative vibe from this forum.......
Why is that ?

because this is a thread for LISTING the module currents you have measured yourself (please see the first post). a quick use of the advanced search tool (using the string "measure current" for topic titles only) brings up the following threads that might help you:

http://muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=36657&highlight=measure+c urrent

http://muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=39827&highlight=measure+c urrent

http://muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=43135&highlight=measure+c urrent

i think you'll find this a very positive forum in general, the only negativity being that which you bring to it yourself.

Om
Adam-V
milkyjoe,

I don't think your questions are stupid but I do think you've probably asked these ones in the wrong area. All the technical boffins hang out in the DIY section!

From what you've said in your original post, I suspect you've gotten a bit confused on measuring of current. To measure current, you need to use an ammeter (or a multimeter set to measure current) and insert it BETWEEN the power source and the modules (known as "in series"). It sounds like you stuck the meter (which for measuring current has a VERY low resistance) across the supply, effectively presenting it with a short circuit, hence the modules cutting out. I'm sure there's a thread somewhere here that covers the correct way to measure the current draw of a module if you search for it.

Cheers,
Adam-V
milkyjoe
Well, I followed the directions in this thread exactly as it says:

(put the black prong from your DMM to ground and put the red to the plus or negative voltage).

Step 2: Plug your ASR in and measure again. The difference will be the current draw of the ASR..

-------------------
So now I have damaged my power supply /and/or modules??
Then I am told I'm being negative....

How do I know if I damaged anything ?

Why is there incorrect info here ?
P
Too bad nobody was willing to help me, including module manufacturers or the place I spent thousands of dollars buying my gear..
Yes, I am feeling negative right about now....
milkyjoe
Thanks for the help though, I don't know why I didn't think to use that search term and try google.

Well, now I know how to measure, and I just have to worry that I may have damaged something.

Apparently I need to learn to use search better. d'oh!
Adam-V
That sounds like instructions for measuring voltage which is measured by placing a voltmeter across the supply rather than an ammeter in series.

I don't think you'll have damaged your modules. The supply may not have survived though. Does it all still work?

Cheers,
Adam-V
milkyjoe
I think It still works, but I won't be sure until I get back home in a day.

I find it very strange that wrong information would be put in this thread.
If one looks through it, there are actually 2 people giving wrong instructions.

The worst part right now is that I am stuck away from home for the next 24 hrs, and I am worrying.

Don't you think that someone should remove the bad info in this thread so anyone else doesn't potentially destroy thousand of dollars worth of gear ?.

I am really starting to regret getting into modular at this point.
It's like "don't do this wrong, or you may fry this really expensive gear", but the important info needed is kept hidden from people.

I find it completely ridiculous how many manufacturers refuse to provide the current draw of there modules...this would not have happened if they did!
Is it just so people can screw up their system and buy more ?..

This sucks.....

I really hope my modules are ok. If they aren't, then I am done with this bs.
Adam-V
I hope your system is OK too. Don't give up on modular synthesis based on this experience though. Learn from it and move on.

Which thread are you talking about that has the bad info?

Cheers,
Adam-V
milkyjoe
I posted in the DIY section asking if I could have damaged anything by doing this stupid thing. I'll see if I get a reply....

I wonder why the fuse did't blow in my new 650$ doepfer
case ?
milkyjoe
In this thread, I recall at least two people instructing to test for current the way I did. Or, am I really that stupid to have misunderstood the instructions?

Thanks for you replies Adam, I really appreciate it.
Adam-V
You'll definitely get more help for this sort of stuff in the DIY section.

As for the fuse, is it the right one?

Cheers,
Adam-V
milkyjoe
I certainly would think so, as I bought the case new from analogue haven...

Although, I have received faulty equipment from there before..
Babaluma
many manufacturers don't give current draw info, because it's a fluctuating thing, and can only ever be a guess. it depends on a lot of variables. some may give a minimum requirement, whilst others a maximum that will never be exceeded. if you are really worried about it, then you are doing the right thing by trying to measure it yourself. good luck!
milkyjoe
That's good to know. Thanks babaluma
milkyjoe
Well, i finally got a chance to test things, and i seem to have gotten lucky, as everything seems to work.

Thanks for the help
Adam-V
Great to hear your system is OK milkyjoe.

You're not Boosh fan by any chance are you?

Cheers,
Adam-V
milkyjoe
Yes i am ! Havent watched it in awhile, but that (the one with milkyjoe) was one of my fav episodes .
Adam-V
Nanageddon's probably my favourite episode.

Cheers,
Adam-V
futuresoundsystems
Can the list please be updated with the below? The DC1 measurement is wrong.

FSS DC1 Decade Counter: 20mA on +12V
FSS FIL1 Convulsion Generator: 20mA on +12V, 20mA on -12V
Demi Jon
More Eurorack current draw info on this thread: List of Eurorack Modular Current Draw - can you help?
Demi Jon
The marvelous John Noble has announced his amazing new resource http://eurorackdb.com/ over on this page here , which contains most of the technical specs for almost all known Eurorack modules. There are some informational gaps in there, which he'd love to fill with their deliciously correct info. And user feedback will make it better too!

John Noble, you deserve more ridiculous emoticons than muffwiggler.com currently provides.
talkboxert
Does anyone know the draw of the Analogue systems RS 380? It's not in their PDF very frustrating
rezzn8r
hmmm.....
I've seen the ChaQuO listed a few places as 4mA. Is that really correct? I thought it had a Quadrature Oscillator?
Parallel Worlds
Current draw of the Tiptop Audio Z-DSP anyone ?
rezzn8r
rezzn8r wrote:
hmmm.....
I've seen the ChaQuO listed a few places as 4mA. Is that really correct? I thought it had a Quadrature Oscillator?

I just notice the description for Elby's Euro version of the chaquo is spec'd at 45 mA
jfloftin
Demi Jon wrote:
The marvelous John Noble has announced his amazing new resource http://eurorackdb.com/ over on this page here , which contains most of the technical specs for almost all known Eurorack modules. There are some informational gaps in there, which he'd love to fill with their deliciously correct info. And user feedback will make it better too!

John Noble, you deserve more ridiculous emoticons than muffwiggler.com currently provides.

Yes! I concur... nanners
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Page 3 of 4