MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

knob search
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author knob search
kidtesla
I'm looking for these knobs(serge?)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cray5656/2470121442/sizes/l/
(I'm not crazy about the gray doepfer or plan B knobs)
Does anybody know where I can get them?
Thanks
Muff Wiggler
Those are Davies #1900-H knobs, I think they are the best knobs oops

you can get them at Mouser, Allied, etc., just search "Davies 1900H", they are a phenolic knob made by "Davies Molding".

However, I think they are pretty expensive, they are $2.42 each at Allied...

http://www.alliedelec.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?SKU=5430400&MPN=19 00-H&R=5430400&SEARCH=5430400&DESC=1900-H

Small Bear sells a Davies 'replica' quite a bit cheaper at $0.85 each...

http://www.smallbearelec.com/Detail.bok?no=707
kidtesla
Thanks Muff! yo the best! Also,thanks for turning me onto the Malekko.
thetwlo
weird, that's mine!
those knobs are the Small Bear clones, not sure why Ross has a photo of my modular on his Flickr....
Maybe a couple real Davies mixed in, for the price difference get the clones. The grip grooves in the shaft are a bit(very slightly) more rounded/shallow/smoother on the clones, and the indicator line isn't engraved. But the small bear come in colors!
Kwote
fuck yeah. i need to place another order of these REAL SOON.
consumed
i do not like the 1900H style knobs on doepfer for two reasons:

1. they dont fit quite right (so they wobble when you turn them)
2. they are hard and smooth like the doepfer standard knobs i dont like (slipping when trying to turn knob)

the rean soft touch knobs are all around improvements in functionality and aesthetics IMO (mouser# 550-67003)

Kwote
the reans are cool because there's no adjusting just pop on and go. the davies or clones require a super small screwdriver and a mindful eye. but i really love the davies.

the look of the reans is a bit weak for certain formats but for doepfer it seems cool. works for blacet. i've actually toyed with the thought of going all rean for cheapness or all davies for aesthetics but i'm too lazy to go replacing things so whatever
kidtesla
thetwlo wrote:
weird, that's mine!
BEAUTIFUL! setup you have...(btw,the picture of your system in the monster case(s) blew my mind spinning )...If I could vote for president you'd be the one(Sorry Felix, you'd have to be VP. lol )
thetwlo wrote:
those knobs are the Small Bear clones, not sure why Ross has a photo of my modular on his Flickr....
oops!...hope I didn't cause any trouble...
thetwlo wrote:
Maybe a couple real Davies mixed in, for the price difference get the clones. The grip grooves in the shaft are a bit(very slightly) more rounded/shallow/smoother on the clones, and the indicator line isn't engraved. But the small bear come in colors!
I'm a bit of a numb nuts when it comes to modifications, ~so can I ask~,do the doepfer knobs just pull off? Is the process reversible?
-thanks!
thetwlo
thanks!
Consumed is correct about the fit of the 1900s, and aside from the expense that's why I haven't bought more and changed them all out. but I love the look of them. I know someone posted that you can fit a drinking straw over the shaft first to fix the wobble, but haven't found one that fits yet.
Still undecided may switch to the Rean's.

Yes, the Doepfer knobs just pull off pretty easily.

(oh yeah, no worries, Ross is a friend-- just got a surprise when I clicked your link!)
consumed
there is one thing i do not like about replacing the doepfer knobs with the reans: the reans have a deeper shaft depth, allowing the skirt of the knob to touch the panel. this causes a little drag when turning the knobs.
Kwote
consumed wrote:
there is one thing i do not like about replacing the doepfer knobs with the reans: the reans have a deeper shaft depth, allowing the skirt of the knob to touch the panel. this causes a little drag when turning the knobs.

may make for more tight and precise settings though.
consumed
Kwote wrote:
consumed wrote:

the alpha pots used on most of those modules are already pretty stiff.
felix
Yeah, but oddly enough, that seemed to only be a problem on a few of my Doepfers...particularly the A-188-2, where I just pulled the reann knobs up a little bit so they were not touching the face plate.

Most of my Doepfer knobs did not pull off that easy...I had to use pliers (and a rubber "jar-opener-helper" for protecting the knob) to get some of them off, which also means the reann fit on snugly and don't slide down the shaft on the modules where I have to lift them up a bit.

You could always wad up some paper and shove it inside the reann...
Kwote
consumed wrote:
Kwote wrote:
consumed wrote:

the alpha pots used on most of those modules are already pretty stiff.

touche sir. tou..che.
felix
kidtesla wrote:
thetwlo wrote:
weird, that's mine!
BEAUTIFUL! setup you have...(btw,the picture of your system in the monster case(s) blew my mind spinning )...If I could vote for president you'd be the one(Sorry Felix, you'd have to be VP. lol )

That's cool, VP has less to live up to, and has time to "invent the internet" just like Al Gore! nuts
ehdyn
A Bucket Brigade of BBD's - wots that sound like?

Talk about a cascade.
Liquidcolor
1/4" thin wall brass tubing works great for using a set screw knob on a split shaft pot.
Moog$FooL$
Liquidcolor wrote:
1/4" thin wall brass tubing works great for using a set screw knob on a split shaft pot.

perfect!!
this seems so obvious, yet none of us have thought to mention it yet. d'oh!

i'm now reminded of Ferrules: use by jewellers & in electronics. this would work on split shafts as well, you'd just need the uninsulated kind i suppose.
Kwote
felix wrote:
kidtesla wrote:
thetwlo wrote:
weird, that's mine!

That's cool, VP has less to live up to, and has time to "invent the internet" just like Al Gore! nuts

excuse me sir but we all know I invented the internet!

kidtesla
Thanks everyone for your help!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1