MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Kilpatrick Carbon Sequencer
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18  Next [all]
Author Kilpatrick Carbon Sequencer
rohelineoun

Just saw this on Matrixsynth. Anybody know anything about this? Looks like the Squarp Pyramid has some competition.
qu.one
http://www.kilpatrickaudio.com/?p=carbon
rohelineoun
d'oh! Should have checked there rather than just searching this site. Thanks. So is this just a stand-alone and expanded K4815? Considering the built in CV/Gate capability and comparable price and spec, I think all my excitement for the pyramid has found a new home.
Citisyn
This thing looks amazing! I can totally see this becoming the center of my musical world.
adnauseam
Looks like they've got a neat idea up their sleeve

The pattern remix feture reminds me alot of the kilpatrick pattern generator for eurorack systems.
Zymos
Can you play Tetris on it?

Wow, that looks damn cool, and reasonably priced too...
Paranormal Patroler
What is the price on this?
neuroportal
Says: $699 USD Retail Price
mha
Wow, looks great.

I wonder if you can somehow show the note/CV value of each step in the display?

Never quite made friends with the Beatstep Pro because I couldn't get a visual overview of each pattern without checking each pot individually.
RustyO
Very interesting indeed.

I'm quite a fan of the K4815, was actually getting round to buiding a mini case to hold just the K4815 and KMIDI combo as a mini-modular that could be shifted around easily.

Going to have a think about things, but looks like I might abandon that idea and just grab one of these instead.
GovernorSilver
Does it have swing?
chvad
I think the 4 cv and gate outs are real cool but I'm completely thrown by the lack of banana on this. the idea of having two Kilpatrick products and needing an adaptor for them to communicate via analogue just seems.... off? am I missing something obvious for the analog connectivity?
tIB
Wonder if inter-track modulation is avaliable in this thingy?

Agree on the banana comment too, shame.
myecholalia
Format jumblers are really cheap and can be had as a little external box as well.
Much larger directly addressable market to have this euro compatible by default.
NoSix
If you focus just on compatibility with the Phenol it (kind of) makes sense to pair it up with midi instead of CV, as the Phenol already has the midi banana outs built-in going unused otherwise.

As a sequencer itself, on paper it looks amazing. Poly mode, 64 steps, song mode, even a reset CV output that is usually missed on so many other CV sequencers.

Goodby Cirklon, hello Carbon!

MY ASS IS BLEEDING MY ASS IS BLEEDING MY ASS IS BLEEDING
tIB
Goodbye cirklon, hello carbon seems a bit rash- the cirklon has become exactly what I wanted it to be- ie something that I couldn't get rid of due to all the aux functionality.

That said I love sequencers and currently have a tetramaps for when I don't fancy the cirklon way, and I could see the same with this if there is some internal modulation routing going on. It looks an interesting way of live performing, in a similar way to the Tetramaps is I suppose.

Nice to see a different approach to things, I just hope it has some internal modulation to add to the complexity- having all that performance control over internal routings/modulation would he incredible.
chvad
"If you focus just on compatibility with the Phenol it (kind of) makes sense to pair it up with midi instead of CV, as the Phenol already has the midi banana outs built-in going unused otherwise. "
I'd thought of that but ultimately that's pretty limiting really. It's nice ot have but with all the horsepower under the hood it'd have been nice if it was at least consistent with his entire product line of modules and the Phenol.

"Format jumblers are really cheap and can be had as a little external box as well.
Much larger directly addressable market to have this euro compatible by default.
"
It's larger but I think jumbler box are a pain so is having a second set of cables. again... the majority of his stuff is banana. not just the phenol. his entire modular system. i got into banana specifically because of kilpatrick . so him deviating from that for this product is just a bummer.
drowld
Not really sure this is replacing a cirklon
but it does look really nice.
waiting for more demos
NoSix
tIB wrote:
Goodbye cirklon, hello carbon seems a bit rash

This was meant as a personal statement (to my particular requirements), of course the Cirklon has it's well earned place in the leaderboard.

chvad wrote:
the majority of his stuff is banana. not just the phenol. his entire modular system. i got into banana specifically because of kilpatrick . so him deviating from that for this product is just a bummer.

Not disputing the fact, just playing devil advocate on possible reasoning on design dessicion. More likely than not it was due to what myecholalia mentioned previously about there being a larger market for 3.5mm.
MrVinegar
I really feel like I need to invest in a sequencer that will sit at the centre of my set-up. I think I am echoing the same sentiment as many others when I say that I haven't been able to take the plunge and commit to something yet because of all of the great options that are coming out. This looks exciting though.

I suppose this is a good problem to have...
rgcmusic
I want, I want I want. This thing looks so great. I just watched the video thinking it was midi only but the looked at the website, CV and midi and USB. I can break out my old oxygen8 and use it for this.
smilinggoat
Pretty crappy sounding demo track, imo.

Not too subtle on the Elektron-lifted visual styling and industrial design. But that screen with visual-style sequencing looks pretty nifty.
NoSix
NoSix wrote:
chvad wrote:
the majority of his stuff is banana. not just the phenol. his entire modular system. i got into banana specifically because of kilpatrick . so him deviating from that for this product is just a bummer.

Not disputing the fact, just playing devil advocate on possible reasoning on design dessicion. More likely than not it was due to what myecholalia mentioned previously about there being a larger market for 3.5mm.

Thaknar wrote:
Don't know how many of you are in the Facebook Phenol Group, but here is a statement Qp Tharmviboonsri (who works at Kilpatrick Audio) made about Carbon:

Quote:

Dear PHENOLists, we hear you asking why CARBON uses minijacks instead of bananas for the CV/gate/clock outputs. It's because CARBON is designed to be used with a wide range of analog instruments. Also, PHENOL has an excellent MIDI to CV converter. The easiest way to make CARBON and PHENOL play nicely together will be through a standard MIDI cable.
We are also launching a banana to minijack cable kit next week which can be used to connect PHENOL with minijack-based gear. No matter what your setup, we have you covered.

From the Phenol thread...
numan7
smilinggoat wrote:
Not too subtle on the Elektron-lifted visual styling and industrial design. But that screen with visual-style sequencing looks pretty nifty.

hihi i actually thought it was an elektron box at first glance. i agree it does look nifty.

cheers
natallica
Campaign now live. Not via Kickstarter like Phenol, but here:

http://store.kilpatrickaudio.com/carbon
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18  Next [all]
Page 1 of 18