MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

SID GUTS Deluxe
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author SID GUTS Deluxe
msun
I just setup my SID GUTS Deluxe, I'm running into an issue using a SID 8580. It seems like after it runs for 30 minutes the unit overheats and stops being able to change the waveform, buttons stop working. Once I let it cool down it works again. They say don't use a real SID chip, but then that's why i bought it. Any suggestions?
monads
msun wrote:
I'm running into an issue using a SID 8501.

8501?? Shouldn't you be using the 6581, 8580 or SwinSID??? I think you can also use the 6582. Make sure you're suing the correct caps per the chip installed. The manual does warn against heat, proper PSU and ventilation.
msun
sorry typo, i meant to type 8580, just edited and corrected my post. I put it in a happy endings kit, which is wide open to the ambient air, so it's getting plenty of air.
monads
I don't have any other clue what could be causing then. And I take it you don't have another SID chip/version to test? Try following up with ALM to get their take on it.
msun
I just decided to drill some holes into my test to mount my happy endings kit vertically. We'll see if that helps.

One thing, when this module is running, it's absolutely amazing. It's a really must have module.
msun
i also ran up to the electronics shop and got a heat sink and glued it to my SID, we'll see if that helps
monads
The heat sink should help! Hope it works out!
msun
Update, the heat sink and vertically mounting it did the trick. It's totally amazing sounding. It's beyond imagination how good the SID Chip is given when it was invented. No wonder the creator when on to invent the Ensoniq Mirage. You put the SID in the Eurorack and it's just a totally naturally sounding addition. I mean it will likely be the core of my sound for years to come, it's so flexible.
monads
Bad a$$!!! Glad it worked out! I had a Sid Guts with SwinSwid but sold it because I have a SammichSID.
PacificState
This is possibly a silly question, but did you take into account the supply voltage? The 6581 takes 12V, the 8580 9V. If not, the heatsink might work short-term, but otherwise you run the risk of frying the chip.
msun
Pacific that's a good question and yes I had it set for the right one. It turns out that the heatsink does the trick.

I highly recommend the SID GUTS to everyone.
calaveras
more important, how do you like it?
I'd been on the fence about picking up ModMachines sid box or a used sammich or Elektron.
This module is by no means cheap but it is cheaper than the alternatives.
msun
I love it. It's my new favorite thing. If you are a fan of the SID CHIP it's just amazing.
msun
calaveras wrote:
more important, how do you like it?
I'd been on the fence about picking up ModMachines sid box or a used sammich or Elektron.
This module is by no means cheap but it is cheaper than the alternatives.

I had not heard of the ModMachines SID Box, so I Googled it and I found some guy selling one on Reverb and I was like crap, must be an omen, so I ordered it. I just can never have enough of the SID chip, so I'll let you know how it compares.
calaveras
there is a lot of hate for the modemachines sid.
It was pretty pricey new, and came with an emulated sid stock, but can also do real sid chips. It does have a ton of things under the hood, and xox style sequencing. The price tho...
bluemeanie
i own a midibox sid and love it to bits.. it ends up in every track for big sounding leads. Stereo sid is awesome..with unison... nuts
slirak
msun wrote:
Update, the heat sink and vertically mounting it did the trick. It's totally amazing sounding. It's beyond imagination how good the SID Chip is given when it was invented. No wonder the creator when on to invent the Ensoniq Mirage. You put the SID in the Eurorack and it's just a totally naturally sounding addition. I mean it will likely be the core of my sound for years to come, it's so flexible.

Would you care to share some more details about what heat sink you got and how you mounted it? I happen to have a 8580 laying around and was thinking about the SID GUTS Deluxe myself.
msun
slirak wrote:
msun wrote:

Would you care to share some more details about what heat sink you got and how you mounted it? I happen to have a 8580 laying around and was thinking about the SID GUTS Deluxe myself.

Yep! I got these: http://www.amazon.com/Cosmos-Copper-Cooling-Heatsinks-cooler/dp/B00637 X42A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1446877232&sr=8-1&keywords=heatsink+copper
slirak
Thanks!
Plop
calaveras wrote:
there is a lot of hate for the modemachines sid.
It was pretty pricey new, and came with an emulated sid stock, but can also do real sid chips. It does have a ton of things under the hood, and xox style sequencing. The price tho...

The hate was because they stole the design from the original creators. angry

http://midibox.org/forums/topic/15498-a-commercial-sid-synth-that-look -damn-familiar-seen-on-messe/?page=1

http://www.matrixsynth.com/2011/04/mode-machines-acid-64-in-violation- of.html
msun
I have had several more days with the SID GUTs and it's working like a charm. It's a must have.
msun
There's a Mode Machines SID on eBay now
justchris86
Got mine set up yesterday! Absolutely in love with this module!
SimeonPeebler
justchris86 wrote:
Got mine set up yesterday! Absolutely in love with this module!

Did you supply your own chip? I have contemplated following some online projects that show how to wire up an use an ardunio to send commands to a 6581 chip, but the time might be better spent just getting the SID Guts Deluxe and being done with it.

My first experience with making electronic music was writing some C64 basic code to make a joystick controlled "sequencer". Wish I had that code handy. It was stored on a tape. 1985-ish.

Simeon
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1