MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Serge Variable Q VCF - Eurorack
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next [all]
Author Serge Variable Q VCF - Eurorack
echoplex
hi there guys,

probably many of you already heard about or even built their own Serge Variable Q VCF for their Eurosystem:
http://randomsource.net/serge_euro

So I have a couple of questions about this, as the demos sounds greats!

1. Whats the AGC input for?
2. What does the Trigger input do?
3. Whats so super cool and special about this filter and why would I need this one (there are dozens and dozens of filters in euroland, so why this?)

cheers Guinness ftw!
lohacker
I'd like to have one but they went sold out pretty quickly waah
About your questions:
AGC input is for cv, you can slew signals with it (EDIT: sorry I was wrong on this one, see tIB response),
with the trig input and high resonance you can ping it (similar to strike in MN MMG),
for the 3rd question is hard to come up with an objective answer, but these features with separate LP BP HP Notch outs are already a solid pro for me!

cheers
tIB
ACG input is an audio input - see here:

http://www.serge-fans.com/wiz_filt.htm
Dogma
iSerge Variable Resonance filter (VCFQ)

The Serge Extended Variable Resonance filter (VCFQ) is probably the most famous filter of the Serge system and one of the essential Serge modules. It is an excellent, extremely versatile general-purpose VCF that provides simultaneous low-pass, high-pass, band-pass and notch (band-reject) outputs combined with unique flexibility. Its trigger in, LOW mode and self osciallation allow a variety of uses from Oscillator to VC processing.

its a Serge circuit so has multiple applications mostly that of a filter...read up on the Serge filters and there a couple of great demos...
Like the Toppo Multifilter (which is pretty much a serge inspred filter) it does a bunch of stuff very well - like pinging like a mofo wink
RyanDais
does anyone know if they are making another batch of kits to release for sale? bummed I missed out on the initial sales run.
MATSmile
You don't need it. Just trying to make some space for next run. seriously, i just don't get it
echoplex
RyanDais wrote:
does anyone know if they are making another batch of kits to release for sale? bummed I missed out on the initial sales run.

yes they (thonk) posted a link on facebook for a wishlist for even full kits!
I think if enough people sign up, they will make a second batch
shreeswifty
i really would like some Serge representation in my Eurorack. Are these available pre-built anywhere?

I don;t want my first DIY to be something i screw-up
Zodanga
@echoplex -- If you want a description of the module, there's a page on it in a little manual I wrote up a few years back. Carbon111 is still hosting it on his site: http://carbon111.com/creature_manual.html
shreeswifty
can someone suggest a good simulation of a SERGE Filter in the Euro Format?
MATSmile
shreeswifty wrote:
i really would like some Serge representation in my Eurorack. Are these available pre-built anywhere?

There is bunch of DIY people on the forum who will happily do it for you. Try negativspace or just ask for help in original thread
shreeswifty
I have a buddy who is a DIY guy who has already offered to put it together for me, then i got curious about a clone/simulation of the Serge filter.
rohelineoun
shreeswifty wrote:
can someone suggest a good simulation of a SERGE Filter in the Euro Format?

I've always heard the Toppobrillo Multifilter come up on those conversations. I think the designs differ a fair a bit but both are "precise" and very useful as voltage processors as well as just filters.

I very much hope that this is just a first offering and more actual Serge designs will soon be available in euro. *cough* tiptop, looking yourway sad banana
TechnoPrisoner
a proper demo of this one would be great !
there is a soundcloud demo on the page of R*S but
as they state its NOT proper smile

would love to see it in self oscillation mode,getting pinged etc.
echoplex
show off some sounds guys nanners
MATSmile
Well all I can say it sounds incredible not only as a filter but also as a sound source.
synthysynth
Somebody is building one for me as we speak, everybody says it sounds great and serge is directly involved in the making of these modules. Heres a demo aI found on you tube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL8w5IbX9MM
widgetoz
shreeswifty wrote:

In Jan 2016 we are releasing a substantial range of Euro-Serge modules. Have a look at my webshop and Euro-Serge. These will be available with 3.5mm jacks for regular EuroSynth systems and 4mm jacks for those wanting to go down the proper Serge path. ALL of our Panther modules (except the ED701) are available with 4mm jacks and ALL of the EuroSerge modules will be availableEuroSerge with 3.5mm jacks.....
Turboblast
Not sure if you have seen, but Elby is re-doing all the serge modules:
http://www.elby-designs.com/contents/en-us/p973_ES15_-_Smooth_and_Step ped_Generator.html
shreeswifty
widgetoz wrote:
shreeswifty wrote:

In Jan 2016 we are releasing a substantial range of Euro-Serge modules. Have a look at my webshop and Euro-Serge. These will be available with 3.5mm jacks for regular EuroSynth systems and 4mm jacks for those wanting to go down the proper Serge path. ALL of our Panther modules (except the ED701) are available with 4mm jacks and ALL of the EuroSerge modules will be availableEuroSerge with 3.5mm jacks.....

That sounds awesome I am interested in the ES202. Can you estimate a release date? Are we talking January 1 or "sometime in The new year" :-)
A friend who was a serge guy said the EQ was something that gave serge a unique sound, is that a fair statement in your opinion? I already went with Sputnik for my VCO and synthi with my filter, so I could really dig serge style resonant equalization for some serge crispy shimmer
warnton
[quote="shreeswifty"]
widgetoz wrote:

That sounds awesome I am interested in the ES202. Can you estimate a release date? Are we talking January 1 or "sometime in The new year" :-)
A friend who was a serge guy said the EQ was something that gave serge a unique sound, is that a fair statement in your opinion? I already went with Sputnik for my VCO and synthi with my filter, so I could really dig serge style resonant equalization for some serge crispy shimmer

I have the Serge Resonant Equalizer MkII. crispy shimmer is the right word for it and it is for shure unique.
shreeswifty
Thanks for sharing. I am customizing my rig over the next few months, going to try to stick with 12u/480hp a BSP and a Korg Arp Odyssesy, so I will have to make room but some serge is in my future for sure
cutterfiltoff
Are Random Source the only modules licensed by Serge? I like the idea of him getting a cut considering all he's done for the synthesizer community.
joey
got this filter in my rack... fucking best filter ever. sounds JUST like my old serge panels
echoplex
joey wrote:
got this filter in my rack... fucking best filter ever. sounds JUST like my old serge panels

I know your rack a bit, to what is the serge comparable?
and is this a clean filter or a character beast?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next [all]
Page 1 of 6