MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Hotone Skyline Mini Pedals
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Author Hotone Skyline Mini Pedals
MindMachine
I bought a Hotone Tape Eko 'pedal' on a whim because I liked the reverse sounds in demos I saw/heard. The price was ok for what it is/does- $79.00. I had never heard of these devices before. It arrived. It is tiny. Smaller than I thought it would be. Best built 'pedal' I have (even over MXR or newer Dunlop or whatever) but because it is so small, that is cheating I suppose.

It is a 1000ms digital delay with 3 settings: solid state, tube and reverse. They all sound great. Not as much of a tape emulator as the Boss RE-20 or maybe even a Danelctro ReelEcho, but it is a clean/no noise, slightly glitch echo with three distinct processes. Minimal controls, but a full 1000ms delay. Voice sounds great, samples sound good, synths sound good so far.

Since I use my pedals primarily as desktop units, this little guy fits in really well. I am pretty impressed. Sounds great, small space, decent price. I don't have any equals to compare it to, but was curious about this compact line.

Any other Hotone Skyline mini users?

http://www.hotoneaudio.com/products/skyline/

edit - Hell there is even a tiny looper. Roto sounds decent...
IR
I got the regular Eko, just for guitar though. I wouldn't use it for synths because I like to use the mixer effects loop and it doesn't get 100% wet.

There's a couple of pedals I would like to try, the mini amps too, but unfortunately there's no Hotone dealer where I live so I can only try them if I travel somewhere.
knifey
Briefly tried a Hotone when I was in Hong Kong. Also tried a Joyo Quattro delay - sounded pretty good as well, but it's not true bypass.

I have the Mooer Repeater. Similar-sized mini-pedal, digital delay, 3 modes (Mod, Normal, Kill Dry). Really nice for ambient stuff, modulations are not too glitchy (I have a Digitech Hardwire DL-8 for that). Compared to the digital modes on the DL-8 the Repeater is a bit more organic, not as super-clean.
MindMachine
I may look into one of the little Hotone amps too.

The Moorer pedals seem pretty decent too.
knifey
The Hotones do look good. The Mooer pedals I definitely recommend.
Flohr
I have the Octa which is great. The octave up and down is my favorite. The more classic divide down mode is cool too. I think it's better than other low end/standard octave pedals but obviously not as good as higher end harmonizers/pitch shifters. I also love the design and form factor. I've used it on guitar as well as monosynths as well as in the effects loop of my mixing board for pitched delays and verbs.
sethlatimer
I use the tuner. It is smaller and generally faster than the others I have seen. It is great quality and has a decent sounding clean boost in it. It is so small it is a bit hard to step on it, especially if it is not attached to the pedalboard. Overall, I'd recommend it.
S
IR
By the way, I've been using the Tape Eko in my mixer's effect loop lately, it does go 100% wet and sounds great.

I'm not crazy about it with guitar and I don't like the backwards effect that much. It's not the best backwards delay for guitar.

I don't even have my regular Eko anymore, but I do have the Fury fuzz, it's not the best fuzz but it sounds o.k. if I place a metal distortion at minimum gain before.

Curious about the Krush...
p.j.
I have the Krush bit crusher and the original Wally looper. Love them both. Cute, small, and well made. Inexpensive to boot. thumbs up
IR
p.j. wrote:
I have the Krush bit crusher

Can you get a regular drum machine to sound like an Atari or C64?
MindMachine
p.j. wrote:
I have the Krush bit crusher and the original Wally looper. Love them both. Cute, small, and well made. Inexpensive to boot. thumbs up

Those two caught my eye for sure.
Rex Coil 7
MindMachine wrote:
I'm not one .....

... but I'm about to be based on your testimony!!!! thumbs up
Chevron87
Cute looking little pedals, I like the idea they are small too for making up a 'small' live pedal board.
Chevron87
Cute looking little pedals, I like the idea they are small too for making up a 'small' live pedal board.
1986Bowler
I have the Choir chorus pedal.
The price was right, and it's pretty lush as choruses go.
It's a weird pedalboard setup, with the Flashback x4 on one side and the Hotone on the other- huge and tiny!
Rex Coil 7
Rex Coil 7 wrote:
MindMachine wrote:
I'm not one .....

... but I'm about to be based on your testimony!!!! thumbs up
Well, it took me longer than expected, but true to my word I bought one of the Hotone Tape Eko units. $41.99 brand new with free shipping.

First up, built tough as a shovel. If it were put in a tube sock it could easily serve as an extremely focused weapon (be that a defensive weapon or otherwise). I crossed paths once with a drunk in a laundry mat that was slinging around a tube sock with a cue ball in it, I'd rather be hit with that than this little stomp box. Very stoutly built, no doubt about it.

Secondly, it sounds just great. I don't hear any noise/hiss/hum from it .. none whatsoever.

Third ... Yo, true bypass bitches!!!!

It sounds great, can be had brand new for less than $42.00 (and shipped free, no less!).

Two things some folks won't like: A.) It does not trail off with delay repeats when the true bypass footswitch is placed into bypass. So when you bypass this unit, the repeats stop. And 2.) There are zero provisions for an inboard battery. I mean the damned thing is scarcely larger than a standard 9 volt battery anyway!

I bought this one as a gift for my wife. First I got her a Strymon Blue Sky (which is a reverb unit) for Christmas, then to go with that I bought her a Moog Little Phatty that came with a really nice case last week, and lastly this little Hotone Tape Eko showed up today to round out the package. The whole mess took me nearly two months to obtain, but now she's got a solid little ensemble. She is actually playing the Little Phatty with the Hotone at this very moment (I shit you not!).

So yea .... $42.00 buckolas ... and shipped free. Don't be afraid of these little things, they're solid, sound great, totally not noisy, and very affordable.

One thing I didn't mention is how playable the Tape Eko is. It can be used as an expression device by manipulating the controls. Sure, many (most?) delays can be used that way. But this one seems especially friendly to realtime live performance manipulation and is a lot of fun when used in that manner.

Ok, off to buy myself one of these now!

(she's still playing her new synth with the Hotone delay!!)

applause
Rex Coil 7
Got 'em!

LUSH (the yellow one with the green LED): Flanger, and one excellent flanger at that. It easily does chorus by reducing the settings. It is NOT noisy, but beware ... it can self oscillate and when it does it does it with grand LOUD glory!! It won't self oscillate until the "Regenerate" knob is turned up past about 2:00 o'clock.

WHIP (the black one with the red LED): Distortion ... hot, thick, granular, Marshall-esque distortion with a shitload of gain available. It has both a tone control (which is more like a "contour" or shaping control rather than a low pass filter) and a little bitty button that adds both input gain and a midrange boost. I used it with a Telecaster with single coils and a humbucker equipped guitar. This thing sound killer when paired up with the Lush (I put the flanger before the distortion, doing so creates a really nice swelling effect that also adds really sweet coloring).

PHAZE (the purple one with the blue LED):
Really nice sounding phase shifter. Easily goes from a light whisper-like phase shift to a deep warble. Works really well in front of the Whip distortion as well. Totally NOT noisy.

TAPE EKO (the green one with the white LED):
As has been described in this thread already, it's an excellent little delay unit. Three position mini-toggle provides digital delay, analog ("tape") delay, and analog reverse delay. Gives about 1.00 seconds of delay time. When the feedback knob (the small one on the right) is turned up enough it can go into a sortof ~hold~ type operation ... as well as the expected spinning out of control delay sound. If the time knob (the large one on the end) is manipulated during playback it makes sounds like messing with the time controls on an old tape delay. Quiet, not at all noisy.

I paid an average of $38.00 per unit with free shipping on all four. Total spent on all four was $152.00 shipped. All four are brand new.

As I had said previously, I also bought my wife one of the Tape Eko units for her Moog Little Phatty. She's quite happy with it!!

(below) ... LED colors are as follows (left to right): BLUE --- RED --- GREEN --- WHITE.

MindMachine
^ Glad you scored. They are not the best, but for the size and money... they may be the best. And top quality.
GuyaGuy
I have the yelllow compressor and it works well with guitar.
jorg
Phaze is absolutely gorgeous - lots of adjustability and it sounds so lush.

Now I'm thinking about Wally and Tape Eko. Damn.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Page 1 of 1