MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Easel Mega Meta Break-Out-Box (Program card mounted) - Video
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Author Easel Mega Meta Break-Out-Box (Program card mounted) - Video
Cobramatic
Here is my version of the Easel Break-Out-Box, this time the box is mounted on the card itself! It’s really a Mega Meta B.O.B. w00t
This mounting is really convenient as everything is right there without reaching for another box.
I went to town on the options because my testing with the card showed that there were a LOT of extra modulation and switching possibilities available, which I really liked.
I should acknowledge that I studied the excellent Break-out-box and card posts by Papz, Rasko, gddfp and others, as well as Todd’s and Adam’s always excellent tips and videos – Thanks to those guys for inspiring me to do my version.

Here is a full list of the features:

Pulse outs for each Sequencer Stage (with LED) – Banana’s on top and 3.5mm Jacks (mounted on the back)
Seq 2-3-4 switch to gain access to 2 step mode
Seq No. of steps CV control in (with Attenuator)
Seq random No. of steps switch (controllable with the Attenuator)
Seq Advance One step button (useful for tuning the steps CV out and having 5 preset voltage sources). Hold down for ‘glitch’ addressing.

Pulse trigger in’s (via banana and 3.5mm jacks) to:
Sequencer,
Envelope Generator,
Pulser
Random CV generator rate
(All Extremely useful for syncing with external gear)

EG:
Attack CV in (with Attenuator) plus Switch to use card random CV source directly
Sustain CV in (with Attenuator) plus Switch to use card random CV source directly
Decay CV in (with Attenuator) plus Switch to use card random CV source directly

Mod Oscillator:
CV in to Wave shape
Switch for Random wave shape
Switch for Random Modulation Mode (FM, AM, none)
Switch for Random Hi/Lo mode – fantastic for creating rubbery random wobbles on baselines

Complex Oscillator:
CV in to Wave shape
Switch for Random Wave shape
CV in to Wave morph (Sine to selected wave shape)
Switch for Random Wave morph

VCA / LPG’s
Switch to Randomise LPG 1 Mode (VCA, Combo, LPG)
Switch to Randomise LPG 2 Mode (VCA, Combo, LPG)
(These patches I have not seen elsewhere but are awesome to use on Sequencer patterns to really add life to them)

MIDI clock-in with CV controllable clock divisions - COMING SOON!

And finally, for good measure -and just because I had a bit of space left, I also added a Light Dependent Resister (with Attenuator) for some fun light effected Theremin style action. It works best in lower light but great with an iPhone light waving above it. This is connected to the ‘To Card’ and ‘From Card’ bananas on the 208 front panel (via the card).

Actually because you have ground and power on the card then you can mount anything you want in there (space allowing of course). I thought about adding a simple LFO for additional modulation duties or maybe a filter. You could even use a eurorack module in there if you really wanted to. Later I’ll be mounting one of Tony’s ‘CV Elements’ Tiles inside for convenient Eurorack translation.

The box is from Jaycar electronics (in Aus) and is perfect because the size and screw alignment meant I could screw through the edges of the Easel card itself to hold it tightly in place. I had to cut about 2mm off the end of card to make it fit though!
Jono had the very sensible suggestion of adding rubber feet on the rear to also help secure it vertically. It is a nice tight fit in the slot and the box edges rest on the connector strip so it is quite solid for plugging bananas in and out and using the switches.

This little Beauty adds a LOT of extra functionality to the Easel and really is fun and immediate to play with – especially the switching. All random settings (via the switches) can be used simultaneously and utilise the 2 separate random sources available on the card.
I’m a major fan of using the random CV’s and these mods almost make it feel like you have a 266 Source of Uncertainly built into the BOB. Adding the pulse-in to the random generator allows you to control that randomness (rate of change) from an external source too - or say off any multiple of the Seq stage pulses by patching those in.

With the convenience to switch the random controls in and out it can add a lot of expression to a performance, makes things less ‘mechanical’ and I reckon is kind of in keeping with the Easels philosophy of easy hands on control.

Here is a demo video:
https://youtu.be/0Do67nN6ufI

EDIT: Added build notes and pics in the DIY Forum here:
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2063360

jondent
Awesome work! It's peanut butter jelly time! It's peanut butter jelly time!
schmuck
Such a great concept of the easel, and people building cool stuff for it are really champions! I do hope there will be a chance for non-builders to have something similar one day. Meanwhile let me just applaud you ;-) applause
weinglas
Holy F*ck! That is awesome we're not worthy
amnesia
Please make these for sale
Leoespejo
Awesome work !!!!

Congratulations, question is, was it to difficult ? are you an advanced diyer ?

again great work ! Rockin' Banana! Dead Banana nanners It's peanut butter jelly time! we're not worthy
kitchentone
Holy shit , awesome , I want the same ! eek! applause
Knarzwaltz
applause applause applause applause applause nanners nanners nanners
Phil999
good work and nice demonstration.
Minimoog56
Hack of the year award!
djangosfire
Concepts for creative interface with the Easel are for me, a huge part of the draw to this instrument.

That is wild! Great work @Cobramatic. This is fun! This is fun! This is fun! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger!
Jonatilj
we're not worthy
analoglsd
Beautiful, inspiring work! applause we're not worthy SlayerBadger!
Cobramatic
Cheers, Thanks for the Love everyone! Guinness ftw!
This project kind of grew a life of its own once I started testing options on the card itself. I probably read the Allen Strange manual about 20 times before the penny started to drop. I didn't touch an Easel card until about a month ago.
Then I watched all the great tips and videos here and I thought - that's awesome - I can do that!
My DIY experience is limited so I reckon anybody with a soldering iron and some basic knowledge can do this.

I'll post some built tips and pics by tomorrow.
jondent
amnesia wrote:

Yes Paul please do!!!

Ross, I saw Paul's (AKA Cobramatic) Easel break out box on the weekend
and it's great. he inspired me to put together some easel patch cards of my own.

These are very easy to do. I'm using a 208r so the card is slightly different to Paul's box which uses a BEMI's card.

The second attempt uses standard headers rather than IC sockets to build the upper breadboard.

The patch cables have embedded resistors (like the EMS Synthi) and if you wish to expand the existing breadboard you can by plugging in a second one. I'm really bowled over with how wonderful the patch card idea is. Don really is a genius for thinking of this back in the 1970s.

Thanks to Todd, Adam, and everyone else who has contributed to this forum. So many great ideas feeding off one another.
Happyanimal
Wow- adds a ton of new functionality. Much more than the new BEMI expander,,,,,, w00t
T of J
preorder!
studiokpg
amnesia wrote:

Yes that. Great work! Having all the card options available at a touch! Wow!
Neovintage
Very impressive. Congratulations. applause Guinness ftw!
I'd like to have build instructions please because I will use 208r cards.
olesandström
I have never soldered in my life and will not have the time to get into it in the future... so if anybody is going to build some of these and sell them, I'm going to buy one.
Cobramatic
I think this will be useful for anybody who wants to experiment with the card or make a similar Break-Out-Box. Its my planning diagram for the Mega Meta B.O.B.
Please note - these are only my suggestions based on the tests I made but please do your own tests and substitute connections and resistor values to suit yourself. Read The Allen Strange Easel manual - the chapter on Meta-Programming has all the answers.

Go ahead and add CV's and switches for other things that might float your boat- For example a nice one is to use the EG CV out on the card to be switched to the Osc Waveshape Morph CV in on the card. (I might just add that switch myself!). This is always available once you place a CV banana-in on that point but switches can be a cool performance option for some.
I can see a B.O.B. which is just a full matrix of switches offering all the best instant connections.

I'll start a thread in the DIY Forum about the build for those that are interested.
I'll come back and reference the thread once I get it going.

cj3000
that is super cool Rockin' Banana! Rockin' Banana!
didn't know that all this is possible.
great great work! It's peanut butter jelly time!
christoph
opsysbug
olesandström wrote:
I have never soldered in my life and will not have the time to get into it in the future... so if anybody is going to build some of these and sell them, I'm going to buy one.

+1
misa
really great. Thank you very much for making and sharing this!!! this is an uplifting post to start the week! wink
gddfp
As most of you know, I've designed my twin-Easel breakout expander almost two years ago... Besides the usual CV/Trigger suspects, it also featured dual comparators and vc-panners.
Interfacing happens via custom-designed Program Cards and flat cables over IDC connectors.

This system now has seen a serious amount of studio use, as well as some live performance abuses... This then quickly exposed its merits and its flaws. Which got me thinking about developing a new version (for one Easel only), and making that available to the public. More specifically to those Easel owners whom are not so much into DIY, and just want to expand the possibilities of their instrument.

So, earlier this year (actually almost a year ago), I've designed a new Program Card Interface (using the same-but-bigger IDC/Flat cable interface), which connects directly to an X-Pander Interface PCB on which all necessary components are pre-soldered. This allows the user to simply hook up any jack/pot/switch configuration in a very safe & reliable way, without having to worry about resistor codes et all.... All possible Program Card connections are brought out (over 50 pins), so any-or-all CV/Trig/Switch IO's are possible, depending on how much you want to expand the Easel.
It also adds a Sequencer All-steps Pulse out module (regardless of the selection switches), though I'm not sure yet if I'm going to keep this in.

In addition I have also developed an X-Pander PCB, which plugs into the X-Pander Interface. This is optional, but it does really expand the Easel's possibilities, by offering a full-blown VC-LFO, a high-end VC-Panning module, a VC-Slew module and two Comparator modules.

This project has been finished since many months, but I halted it due to unforseen circumstances. Also, it's a relatively expensive project to prototype, and I wasn't sure yet on how to offer it: either as strictly DIY, or as a semi-DIY project where the user only has to hook up jacks & pots & switches (which is really easy), or possibly also as a fully-finished expander box.

If enough Easel owners would be interested in this professional expander box thingy, I might take it out of its hybernation, and start offering it [in various configurations]... Please let me know.

cheers <and sorry to hijack this thread for a bit>,
_Guy
jondent
Looks fabulous Guy.
Does your interface operate with both the BEMI easel and the 208r?
I'm certainly interested.
Well done !!!
we're not worthy we're not worthy
rastko
Greetings from Yangon ,

Guy ,

I would be interested in a PCB set !

All of this development is great.

And I know it is fun as I had an expansion box which was almost perfect thank`s to Guy`s help, but then my son stepped on it .. imagine.

In any case instead of rebuilding it I would prefer making one with the PCB`s.

great just great and I wish you all a nice day

rastko

gddfp wrote:
As most of you know, I've designed my twin-Easel breakout expander almost two years ago... Besides the usual CV/Trigger suspects, it also featured dual comparators and vc-panners.
Interfacing happens via custom-designed Program Cards and flat cables over IDC connectors.

This system now has seen a serious amount of studio use, as well as some live performance abuses... This then quickly exposed its merits and its flaws. Which got me thinking about developing a new version (for one Easel only), and making that available to the public. More specifically to those Easel owners whom are not so much into DIY, and just want to expand the possibilities of their instrument.

So, earlier this year (actually almost a year ago), I've designed a new Program Card Interface (using the same-but-bigger IDC/Flat cable interface), which connects directly to an X-Pander Interface PCB on which all necessary components are pre-soldered. This allows the user to simply hook up any jack/pot/switch configuration in a very safe & reliable way, without having to worry about resistor codes et all.... All possible Program Card connections are brought out (over 50 pins), so any-or-all CV/Trig/Switch IO's are possible, depending on how much you want to expand the Easel.
It also adds a Sequencer All-steps Pulse out module (regardless of the selection switches), though I'm not sure yet if I'm going to keep this in.

In addition I have also developed an X-Pander PCB, which plugs into the X-Pander Interface. This is optional, but it does really expand the Easel's possibilities, by offering a full-blown VC-LFO, a high-end VC-Panning module, a VC-Slew module and two Comparator modules.

This project has been finished since many months, but I halted it due to unforseen circumstances. Also, it's a relatively expensive project to prototype, and I wasn't sure yet on how to offer it: either as strictly DIY, or as a semi-DIY project where the user only has to hook up jacks & pots & switches (which is really easy), or possibly also as a fully-finished expander box.

If enough Easel owners would be interested in this professional expander box thingy, I might take it out of its hybernation, and start offering it [in various configurations]... Please let me know.

_Guy
dlozanothornton
so cool! it really expands the easel functionality... its amazing what a little soldering and components can add to your system!
Cobramatic
gddfp wrote:

WOW! That is superb Guy...
That is a highly professional looking bit of kit. applause
Your post from ages ago was one of the ones that inspired me to do mine - so thank you again.

I think for those Wigglers that want that functionality, but are not DIY minded, then they should go for yours without question.
Fantastic that you can offer it up, so I hope you get lots of takers.
Brilliant!
studiokpg
I only just ordered my easel, but can definitely see some kind of expander in my future. My preference would be a pcb and parts kit. I don't mind doing all the soldering etc.
Another external I expect to want is a midi clock input. Not sure if there would be an easy way to incorporate that into one of these expanders.
rastko
studiokpg wrote:
I only just ordered my easel, but can definitely see some kind of expander in my future. My preference would be a pcb and parts kit. I don't mind doing all the soldering etc.
Another external I expect to want is a midi clock input. Not sure if there would be an easy way to incorporate that into one of these expanders.

It receives the midi clock through the midi in "out of the box", the clock pulse comes out of the Keyboard Pulse output.
***edit**NO it does not ****sorry had too much coffee **

The midi input also receives aftertouch and it is coming out off the Keyboard Pressure out.
olesandström
gddfp wrote:

applause great project

I am interested in a finished product or one that is as finished as possible and compatible with the BEMI Easel.
As I said, my soldering skills are those of a cat. zombie
studiokpg
rastko wrote:

It receives the midi clock through the midi in "out of the box", the clock pulse comes out of the Keyboard Pulse output.

The midi input also receives aftertouch and it is coming out off the Keyboard Pressure out.

I heard the midi clock could only drive the arpeggiator - I guess that's not true? I also heard that the clock generated is only quarter notes?
rastko
Ohhh my sorry I was sure I used it but actually ... you are correct.

Yes , midi clock only drives the arpeggiator.

Ufff rastko rastko

studiokpg wrote:
rastko wrote:

I heard the midi clock could only drive the arpeggiator - I guess that's not true? I also heard that the clock generated is only quarter notes?
mnol3717
It's peanut butter jelly time! It's peanut butter jelly time! It's peanut butter jelly time! Great work, both break out boxes look amazing! I would be very interested in buying a completed box as my DIY skills are not existence. Guy, I would love to see a video of your break out box in action. I had a look around on muffs and found a post of yours stating their is a video somewhere, however i have not been able to find it. If you, or someone else could point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
synthi
studiokpg wrote:
rastko wrote:

Yes, you drive ONLY the Arpeggiator witht the MIDI clock. Then you can change the time division with he Arp Rate knob.
It also put presure voltage from MIDI aftertouch, but you need to hold a key down, so you can´t use it as a spare MIDI-CV
synthi
gddfp:

Interested , YES!
kosh
Wow. Yes very interested in either/both breakout boxes. Assembled or kit. Must have. Gimme !!
lumin
fantastic idea and execution. would like a box like this too
studiokpg
synthi wrote:
studiokpg wrote:
rastko wrote:

Yes, you drive ONLY the Arpeggiator witht the MIDI clock. Then you can change the time division with he Arp Rate knob.
It also put presure voltage from MIDI aftertouch, but you need to hold a key down, so you can´t use it as a spare MIDI-CV

Thanks for this. Also, I just found this post:
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=118632&start=0&postd ays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=
x180r19
I am interested as well. Prefer an assembled version.
schmuck
x180r19 wrote:
I am interested as well. Prefer an assembled version.

+1
Jonatilj
Also very interested in an assembled box or at least one with no soldering needed. Really nice work both!
misa
If it works with a 208r I'd love to have one too! (DIY preferred)
Cobramatic
synthi wrote:

Lets all face it - the Midi clocking implementation via the arpeggiator is not great on the Easel, but at least it has it when you really need something.
My problem is that it has no latch, so you have to keep your finger on a key and it effectively takes the rest of the keyboard out of action - so no playing a melody over a sequencer riff for example (unless you use the 4 preset pads for that)

I normally use a clock signal and you can see that my Break out box is designed to take advantage of that allowing syncing of the Sequencer, Pulser, EG and random step. It works well but obviously there are times you just want a midi-in to play with a drum machine or whatever.

So I'm working on a simple midi-in circuit right now and will add this to my box with a midi jack on the side or back. Basically it is a midi to clock convertor that you can then just patch into any of the sync banana-ins.
That will free up the keyboard for all its other duties.
I'll post the solution soon.
shagstaphone
I would be all over either box, in DIY or fully-produced variety. Thanks so much for posting these; they're really great.
Maco
Diy pcbs here
amnesia
I can DIY but prefer pre built from either of you fine gentlemen.

Great stuff all round
studiokpg
Cobramatic wrote:

So I'm working on a simple midi-in circuit right now and will add this to my box with a midi jack on the side or back. Basically it is a midi to clock convertor that you can then just patch into any of the sync banana-ins.
That will free up the keyboard for all its other duties.
I'll post the solution soon.

thumbs up we're not worthy thumbs up
gddfp
Thanks for the compliment !

I have no hands-on experience with the 208r or any other clone, but as far as I know, the 208r's Program Card Interface is not compatible with the BEMI (or orignal) one.

_Guy

jondent wrote:
Looks fabulous Guy.
Does your interface operate with both the BEMI easel and the 208r?
I'm certainly interested.
Well done !!!
we're not worthy we're not worthy
mich
ik heb ook interesse Guy!
Neovintage
Very nice you guys.

Guy, I think Papz said that his 208r extension card works well with BEMI Easel, maybe it works great the other way around.

In any case, I'd be interested by PCBs or at least, if the card are not compatible, the IDC/flat interface to allow other card to be connected.
ST.P
gddfp wrote:

i am definitely interrested in any configuration w00t
papz
Great work, Cobramatic. thumbs up

I confirm again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again that the 208r rev2 and 208 BEMI cards are compatible. Some unfounded rumors die hard meh
djangosfire
papz wrote:

I confirm again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again that the 208r rev2 and 208 BEMI cards are compatible. Some unfounded rumors die hard meh

THAT is great news - I had no idea - Thanks for the info Guinness ftw!

vgermuse
Paul! This is friggin' off the hook! It's peanut butter jelly time! SlayerBadger!

Amazing work, thought and design! Thanks you so much for sharing and taking the time to demo and explain it all. You Rock! we're not worthy we're not worthy we're not worthy
Cobramatic
Thanks for that Todd - I can tell you that your fantastic and easy to understand videos of Program card patching and that external pulse-in to Pulser syncing demo was what finally got me motivated to build my box.

Talking about Pulse's - Jono has confirmed to me, and I've verified by testing mine, that the Sequencer individual stage Pulse out's on the card are very 'Hot' - like between 12 and 15v - this is high and should NOT be taken directly into Eurorack without adequate attenuation.
I'm going to build a Synovatron Elements Pulse tile into my box to handle this. The power for these tiles can be accessed directly off the card so it is a very safe and convenient solution for little money. I'd really like to thank Tony of Synovatron too - he is very generous with his advice and really knows what he is talking about.

I need to confirm that I wont be building any of these boxes for sale (I just don't have the time to be honest) but I will be detailing the 'how to' in a DIY thread soon.
I would recommend Guy's highly professional PCB option once he has that ready for sale.
Cobramatic
A lot of people have been asking me how to build one of these so I've started a new thread in the DIY forum and added links to some other great posts which were the inspiration to me and helped me to figure out my Break out box.
If you want to have a crack at it here is the link:
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2063360

It may look reasonably neat on the outside but it is a bit messy on the inside - I'm no Electronics engineer - that's for sure!

I'll answer any build questions over on that thread.
Cheers Guinness ftw!
virginsoulcity
thumbs up help
jondent
Paul (Cobramatic) and I had some fun today playing with the (BOB) Break Out Box and the Korg Little bits attached to some Easel program cards.

Thanks to Adam S for his brilliant LittleBits idea

The LittleBits sounds great and integrate quite easily into the easel esp
if you use the program card.

This is where you connect the trigger from the littlebits sequencer to clock the easel.

And this is the identical input on Paul's BOB. It's patched into a BEMI easel.

[video]https://youtu.be/lAeasRUtS7s[/video]
Sorry, I've forgotten how to embed these videos.
Anyway, here is the youtube links.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAeasRUtS7s
Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread.
I'm standing on the shoulders of giants. nanners
Knarzwaltz
papz wrote:

Are they also compatible with original 208?
jondent
Knarzwaltz wrote:
papz wrote:

Are they also compatible with original 208?

They should be. I haven't tried putting paul's card (from his BEMI easel to my original but I see no reason why it wont work.
When I get a chance I'll build a BOB too and test it in both the modern BEMI easel and a Roman REV II 208.
Knarzwaltz
Then iPhone cards should work for originals and R rev2:s also... or am I missing something?
Cobramatic
Knarzwaltz wrote:
Then iPhone cards should work for originals and R rev2:s also... or am I missing something?

I'm guessing you mean 'iProgram' card there hihi
There is probably no reason why it shouldn't work if the Rev2 cards also work.
The only difference I am aware of on the card itself (other than the extra bit on top for breadboarding - as seen in Adam's and Jono's Littlebits experiments), is the fact that there is an EXTRA control point on the BEMI card's for the Mod oscillator range. I used this control in my BOB and routed a random CV to it via a switch and that gives that 'glitch' effect in my video.
Having said that, I don't think the extra point is an issue at all unless the iProgram card needs to 'find' it somehow. So, if you try to use that control in an iProgram card patch then it might get confused and fall over - or it might just ignore it.

Basically somebody here with both the iProgram card and a Rev2 needs to verify by testing it.
I have the iProgram card but no rev2. I think Jono is making one so he could try it sometime in future?
Knarzwaltz
yes iprogram card of coarse d'oh! Mr. Green
Cobramatic
jondent wrote:

Jono's Korg 'Littlebits' explorations were really cool. He took the basic idea that Adam had used on his card but Jono had a whole set of the 'Bits' wired up to his card. I was amazed at how good they work in with the Easel, both in the CV and audio paths. The video only shows a very short version of the experiment but the LB Sequencer happily clocked both Easels with ease, the Oscillator, EG, filter and Delay all work beautifully and it seems to me that it would be easy to build them into the Break-out-box.

This is kinda like combining the BEMI Easel Aux Expander with the BOB and adding effects on top!

Sometime in the New Year I'll add the LB filter and Delay to my box and do another video. Looks like they will fit easily enough and can be powered off the card.

I'll then take a look at the 208r Rev1 BOB options - looks like there will be some functionality there but not the full array of control's that the BEMI and rev2 208r's have.
nidas
Great progress and thanks for sharing. Looking forward to see what you can do for a Rev 1 208.

Cheers
ttown23
Just needing to chime in here:

The original 208r (rev 1) and rev 2 208r, and for that matter the BEMI Easel, are not compatible

This is because the rev 1 208r had a completely different EDGE connector on it than the rev 2 208r.

The rev 2 208r and the BEMI Easel do have compatible EDGE connectors.

Hope this helps w00t
jondent
Cobramatic wrote:
jondent wrote:

Jono's Korg 'Littlebits' explorations were really cool. He took the basic idea that Adam had used on his card but Jono had a whole set of the 'Bits' wired up to his card. I was amazed at how good they work in with the Easel, both in the CV and audio paths. The video only shows a very short version of the experiment but the LB Sequencer happily clocked both Easels with ease, the Oscillator, EG, filter and Delay all work beautifully and it seems to me that it would be easy to build them into the Break-out-box.

This is kinda like combining the BEMI Easel Aux Expander with the BOB and adding effects on top!

Sometime in the New Year I'll add the LB filter and Delay to my box and do another video. Looks like they will fit easily enough and can be powered off the card.

I'll then take a look at the 208r Rev1 BOB options - looks like there will be some functionality there but not the full array of control's that the BEMI and rev2 208r's have.

Hey Guys,
Yes, the little bits sound great with the Easel.
Plus the schematics are open source so they encourage you to hack
and adapt the circuits.

i'll post more vids soon and I'll investigate this compatability issue.
I'm pretty sure the BEMI easel card will work with a roman rev 2.
I have both so i will check it over the weekend.
I've loaned my rev 1 to a friend so can't test it for now but I hope to have it back soon too.
Cheers j Guinness ftw!
jondent
Just done a quick check of the BEMI and Rev 2 cards and they do seem to be compatible.

Here are the front connections for the Rev2 card (not the Rev 1).

1. 15V
2. Gnd
3. ?
4. ?
5. ?
6. ?
7. Voltage Level 1 (in)
8. Voltage Level 3 (in)
9. Volatge Level 4 (in)
10. Voltage Level 5 (in)
11. n - sequencer no of steps (in)
12. Pulse sequence in.
13. Voltage levels (out)
14. Random in.
15. sequencer (out)
16. Random out
17. Envelope trig in
18. Pulser out
19. Env Duration (sustain on the BEMI card) in
20. Pulser out
21. Env (in) decay
22. Level 1 in
23. MOD osc waveshaper
24. Keyboard in for mod & complex osc
25. Level 2 in
26. Envelope Det
27. Gate Mode 2
28. Inv

PS: Please let me know if I've made any errors or omissions
jondent
And the back of the card.

1. -15V
2. ?
3. ?
4. ?
5. ?
6. ?
7. Voltage Level 2 (in)
8. random
9. Period in
10.index (in)
11.frequency (in)
12.sequencer trig in
13.pitch in
14.keyboard out
15. key
16. pulser trig in
17. timbre
18. attack (envelope)
19. Pressure
20. Envelope Gen
21. Seq out
22. Mod osc in
23. Inv in
24. Complex Osc (WS in) 1
25. Complex Osc (WS in) 2
26. Gate Mode 1
27. SR (Gate out) Offset
28. SR Gate in
boops
Thanks
Becareful,i guess There are the i2c data,clock bus pins on the Bemi easel!
Here what i ve found for my 208rev2 preset manager project... Has to be corrected,finished ,completed...Enjoy at your own risks wink
11F seq n(step)
12F pulse seq in
12R trig seq in ?

gddfp
boops wrote:
Thanks
Here what i ve found for my 208rev2 preset manager project... Enjoy at your own risks wink
11F seq n(step)
12F pulse seq in
12R trig seq in ?

Some of the "unused" pins are indeed reserved for data & clock (on BEMI Easel), though they're not really useful to us.

Pin 11 : Seq Stages (switch)
Pin 12 : Seq Pulse Sum (unusable for us; and so is pin 13: Seq CV Sum)
Pin U (12 rear) : Seq Trig In

And you're forgetting pin 3 (next to Q) : Mod Osc Range (switch) :-)

_g
boops
gddfp wrote:
boops wrote:
Thanks
Here what i ve found for my 208rev2 preset manager project... Enjoy at your own risks wink
11F seq n(step)
12F pulse seq in
12R trig seq in ?

Some of the "unused" pins are indeed reserved for data & clock (on BEMI Easel), though they're not really useful to us.

_g

Your first infos are for the Bemi ?rev2 ?both wink
Mod osc range is for the Bemi easel..sure ,it dont exist In the rev2
gddfp
Yes, Boops, Bemi Easel... forgot to mention that. Sorry.

_g

boops wrote:
gddfp wrote:
boops wrote:
Thanks
11F seq n(step)
12F pulse seq in
12R trig seq in ?

_g

Your infos are for the Bemi ?
Mod osc range is for the Bemi easel..sure ,it dont exist In the rev2
Sonic boom
gddfp wrote:

11F seq n(step)
12F pulse seq in
12R trig seq in ?

_g[/quote]

yr BOB looked like it had access to every cv'able parameter & bus Guy ?

do you have any close ups ?

....excited for yr project......
gddfp
Sonic boom wrote:

My Model 416 Edge Card & Interface (not a BOB!!) accesses everything which is available over the Program Card, yes.
I've decided to wait to present the 416 Interface Kit until the new 416 Expander board (LFO, Slew, Pan, etc) has been properly tested... which should be done in two or three weeks or so.

Thanks for being patient !
_g
Sonic boom
gddfp wrote:
Sonic boom wrote:

My Model 416 Edge Card & Interface (not a BOB!!) accesses everything which is available over the Program Card, yes.
I've decided to wait to present the 416 Interface Kit until the new 416 Expander board (LFO, Slew, Pan, etc) has been properly tested... which should be done in two or three weeks or so.

_g

sounds good ...
is the kit going to have with/without the extras variations ?
jondent
So much great info. Thanks Boops & Gddp.
Looking forward to seeing your finished expanders.
Respect. J
gddfp
Sonic boom wrote:
gddfp wrote:
Sonic boom wrote:

_g

sounds good ...
is the kit going to have with/without the extras variations ?

I'm not sure I understand what you mean with "extras variations" ?

_g
Sonic boom
you call it 'expander' on your bob ??
gddfp
Sonic boom wrote:
you call it 'expander' on your bob ??

No.
There's the Model 416 Interface Kit, which consists of three items:

- the 416 Edge Card (to replace a Program card)

- the 416 Interface: a PCB which gives you the ability to connect pots & jacks directly to a breakout-box of your own design. All correct resistor values for all the necessary In- and Outputs and Switches are on board as well, making the hookup to your breakout-box completely safe, reliable and hassle-free. So you don't have to find out that 120k is NOT the correct resitor value for the CMPLX Pitch's summing node... Mr. Green

- a 50-pin IDC flat ribbon cable assembly, which connects the Edge Card and the Interface, and transmits data to- and from your Easel.

Additonally, there will be an optional Model 416 Expander PCB as well, which is connected to the 416 Interface PCB. This 416 Expander gives you two Comparators, a VC-Slew (vactrol-based), a hi-end VC-Panner, and a sophisticated (but traditional) VC-LFO.

All of this will be available as either a DIY kit, or fully built. Note that the Edge Card and cable assembly will always come fully assembled (to assure a 100% safe connection).

_g
jondent
- the 416 Edge Card (to replace a Program card)
All correct resistor values for all the necessary In- and Outputs and Switches are on board as well, making the hookup to your breakout-box completely safe, reliable and hassle-free. So you don't have to find out that 120k is NOT the correct resitor value for the CMPLX Pitch's summing node... Mr. Green

But that's the fun bit Rockin' Banana!

Looking forward to this. The edge card replacement will be especially useful
boops
gddfp wrote:

_Guy

Do you still use this angled 56 edge connector ,for a free access for my future preset manager ,208r rev2 ? I am in. For diy kit wink Thanks
We have just to finished to compare the Bemi easel and the 208 rev2 edge 56 pinout.
jondent
boops wrote:
gddfp wrote:

_Guy

Do you still use this angled 56 edge connector ,for a free access for my future preset manager ,208r rev2 ? I am in. For diy kit wink Thanks
We have just to finished to compare the Bemi easel and the 208 rev2 edge 56 pinout.

I'm also in for a Kit or two of this Guy.
What an awesome project.
I've just spent a half hour cutting up a perfectly good program card just
to get a 56 edge connector. It breaks my heart to do such things. cry
I was going to start etching my own edge connectors but I hate those messy chemicals. They also make me cry cry
Please let me know when the project is ready. I will def buy a full DIY kit
and wouldn't mind a half dozen edge connectors.
Cheers Jono Guinness ftw!
gddfp
boops wrote:

Yep, still using that Sullins connector...
The final version of the Program Card replacement (Model 416 Edge Card) will look slightly different from what I've shown here. But hey, that's what prototypes are for, innit ?

If someone can send me the schematics of the 208 Rev2 [program card section only], I can make a final comparison.. From what I gathered already, the rev2 card does not have the ModOsc Range switch patch point, correct ? (which is awesome to have under VC, btw)

Sidetracking a bit here... people are often asking me for complete (or DIY) versions of a real breakout box, built around my Model 416 Interface Kit. I'm reluctant to walk that path (hell of a job!), but not entirely adverse of tackling it. The biggest hurdles to take are hardware-related: the panel, a boat, some system to attach- or make that boat level with the Easel's suitcase, etc... So perhaps we should talk about that, Boops, since you already have a lot of experience with that, no ? Contact me offline, if you'd wish.

_Guy
gddfp
jondent wrote:
What an awesome project.
I was going to start etching my own edge connectors but I hate those messy chemicals. They also make me cry cry

You just summed up perfectly what my Model 416 Interface Kit does, Jono : taking the pain out of interfacing with an Easel... thanks for that ! cool

The Interface Kit is now done, but I decided to hold back on the official announcement until I can include the 416 Expander board (as an option) as well, which is now in its final prototyping phase.

If all goes well (the Expander is a beast to debug), I'm aiming for a January release...

_g
donnachacostello
Sweet.
Nice to be able to expand the possibilities without adding mods directly to the instrument.
vanadl138
this is far out, I will be looking forward to your January release! I'm in for a kit! smile
jondent
This is so cool.
I can't wait.
Thanks heaps for making this possible.

gddfp wrote:
jondent wrote:
What an awesome project.

You just summed up perfectly what my Model 416 Interface Kit does, Jono : taking the pain out of interfacing with an Easel... thanks for that ! cool

The Interface Kit is now done, but I decided to hold back on the official announcement until I can include the 416 Expander board (as an option) as well, which is now in its final prototyping phase.

If all goes well (the Expander is a beast to debug), I'm aiming for a January release...

_g
jondent
gddfp wrote:
jondent wrote:
What an awesome project.

_g

Thanks again Guy,

This is what I recently did to a program card.

I had to cut it in order to fit everything in the box.
A messy job Dead Banana
Your 416 will make my job so much easier in the future.
Jono
albut
These interfaces look great. I,m waiting on something like this for a rev1 208r,
which I understand that a couple of people are looking into.

But for now, I would like to get hold of a prototyping double sided edge connector pcb that will fit the slot on the rev1 208r. Do any of you guys know where I can buy one. In the UK if possible.

(Edit) I have done searches, even ebay, but cant seem to find the correct one.

Cheers
jondent
Paul's BOB has been inspirational - so many ideas.
Many thanks man.
I decided to use his ideas in a BOB of my own and add a Korg Duo monotron for fun.

Here are the patch points;

and some pics from the build:

the side panels :

These are the pulse outs & pulse ins for the seq, pulser, Eg etc
The switch adds random & 2-step to number of steps.

Just before adding the monotron:

On the 208
Yes it works !!! The VCO tracks to 1v/oct . I'm thinking of adding one
of Tony's (Synovatron) tiles to fix this issue ... if I can fit it in.

A rough labeling of the case.
I still have to do some tweaking. but will upload a video or two later.

I'll be offline for a while but you can find more info here:
http://djjondent.blogspot.com.au/2015/12/korg-monotron-original-buchla rized.html
Happy hacking. nanners
boops
Oh yeah ....good job! Rockin' Banana!
jondent
Here is a quick unedited video of the Easel-tron
Sorry for the rough untamed nature of the vid.
Im still working on this & will do something more polished later
but am excited with what can be done with minimal resources.

djangosfire
jondent wrote:

Kick ASS!! Great job Jono This is fun!

I love this thread - loaded with inspiring ideas - Cheers!
Cobramatic
jondent wrote:
Paul's BOB has been inspirational - so many ideas.
Many thanks man.
I decided to use his ideas in a BOB of my own and add a Korg Duo monotron for fun.

Thanks Jono!
Your version looks pretty damn Rad SlayerBadger!
I can see that is the same Jaycar box that I used - but how on earth did you fit a Monotron AND a duplicated Edge connector on top??

It is a great idea though - I'd love to see a preset patch card on top with the ability to play the mods on the box below. I guess you could even use the iProgram card at the same time too?? (Is it physically stable enough though?)

The addition of another 'voice' in the box is obviously a real treat too - so looks like you have an internal switch to play the Monatron from the Easel Sequencer settings - how is the voltage compatibility, or are you attenuating the voltage internally?

I'd certainly love to get a filter / echo in mine, so maybe a Monotron delay would be the go - or maybe a couple of the Littlebits - Hopefully during the holidays I'll see how much room I have and do another demo.

Cheers and Happy New Year to everyone!
Guinness ftw!
Sonic boom
jondent wrote:

Nice work .....Oz is quite the Easel hot spot ....
papz
Funny ! applause
Cobramatic
Sonic boom wrote:

Nice work .....Oz is quite the Easel hot spot ....

thumbs up thumbs up
Buchla 222e
joby
gddfp wrote:
jondent wrote:
What an awesome project.

_g

I am also interested in a DIY expander kit <3
Cobramatic
Finally got around to adding to my Mega Meta BOB:

I was inspired by Adam's post a while back using the Korg Littlebits on his Easel card - so I did some experiments with my Littlebits kit and reckon they are indeed really cool playing with the Easel.

All the Littlebits modules are fantastic (and very cheap per module) so I eventually decided on the Filter and Echo - mainly as Audio path modules.
The idea being that external source audio can be treated before passing into the Easel via LPG2, or that the Easel output can be filtered and Delay affected before going to a mixer, or even in a feedback loop back in.

I routed Random 2CV and Envelope CV internally off the card to the filters FM input with a 3 way switch. I also provided a banana and 3.5mm jack for FM on the front (with green pot attenuator), and I'm glad I did for the these reasons:
I can use the modulation Osc CV out to FM the filter -nice!
and even beter - the Filter is fully resonant and puts out a sine wave that tracks the CV and FM voltage - bloody lovely!! screaming goo yo

I spent the afternoon FM'ing the Filter Sine Oscillator and it sounds beautiful - not unlike a 258 actually.

The Littlebits are powered off the Easel card via a 5v voltage regulator and are just hot glued onto the inside front face of the BOB - relatively easy.
Ive added a quick switch which normals the output of the Filter to the input of the Echo and visa versa or allows them to operate seperately.

I also added an attenuator on the side of the BOB to cool those HOT pulses coming off the sequencer stages (on the top of the BOB) - they are now much more useful for re-patching.

Here is a pic of the box.
I'll get a video done soon I hope.

T of J
we're not worthy MY ASS IS BLEEDING Dead Banana

so awesome!!!!!
memes_33
Just getting my feet wet regarding the programming cards and have a few questions about your card layout/functionality:

1) The random voltage switches- I assume the random voltages you’re connecting to switches are identical to the ones coming off of the RANDOM VOLTAGE (white banana) CV outputs- is that correct? Or are they a different/independent set of random voltages?

2) VCA/LPG random switch- are you just feeding the random voltages in to a switch that toggles between the various modes? In other words, if a voltage is 0-3V, it selects filter, 4-7V, it selects the LPG, and 7V+ it selects VCA? What I’m wondering is if I could just put a banana at the mode input on the card and patch my random CV outs (white bananas) into this banana and achieve same results.

3) Same as above with oscillator wave shapes (are specific voltages associated with different switch positions)?

4) The various trigger ins- I assume you can send different clock signals to sequencer, EG, pulser, and random circuits to create some very complex polyrhythmic modulations- is that correct?
Thanks!
Cobramatic
memes_33 wrote:
Just getting my feet wet regarding the programming cards and have a few questions about your card layout/functionality:

1) The random voltage switches- I assume the random voltages you’re connecting to switches are identical to the ones coming off of the RANDOM VOLTAGE (white banana) CV outputs- is that correct? Or are they a different/independent set of random voltages?

2) VCA/LPG random switch- are you just feeding the random voltages in to a switch that toggles between the various modes? In other words, if a voltage is 0-3V, it selects filter, 4-7V, it selects the LPG, and 7V+ it selects VCA? What I’m wondering is if I could just put a banana at the mode input on the card and patch my random CV outs (white bananas) into this banana and achieve same results.

3) Same as above with oscillator wave shapes (are specific voltages associated with different switch positions)?

4) The various trigger ins- I assume you can send different clock signals to sequencer, EG, pulser, and random circuits to create some very complex polyrhythmic modulations- is that correct?
Thanks!

Looks like you have all correct!

1. Yes, the card provides you with 2 of the 4 non-corrolated random voltages from the white nanas. I'm not sure which of the 4 though - or if indeed they are different again..?. Experiment to see which of the two gives you the result you prefer -or if you are feeling ambitious you could wire a switch to use either one.

2. Yes, that looks about right. On my Mini-Bob (posted in another thread) I've recently added an 'expander' which allows Cv-in from any source on dedicated nanas. It is cool to use the EG, for example, to dynamically change the response during each step. Or use the Seq output for a pre-programmed result.
The biggest advantage of using switches through is the quick 'playability' in a performance, and for basic convenience.
But as in all things - to have both options available is always best!

3. Yes, about the same as the LPG switches. The Sine/ Waveshape pot is continuously variable though, so adding a nana input here is better than just a switch for CV control of this function.

4. Right again. Each of those functions can be independently triggered for interesting rhythms - particularly useful with external sources. Interestingly the card inputs for these functions are compatible with 5v triggers and gates, so it works really well with Eurorack sources without needing a conversion module.

The card interface really does open up a new array of possibilities for the Easel and is well worth the exploration - pre programmed patching is an amazing feature - but the extra functionality of CV control is just brilliant!
memes_33
Cobramatic wrote:
3. Yes, about the same as the LPG switches. The Sine/ Waveshape pot is continuously variable though, so adding a nana input here is better than just a switch for CV control of this function.

thanks, Cobramatic! still a little confused about above, though. i guess i'm unclear about the functionality listed in the OP

Cobramatic wrote:
Complex Oscillator:
CV in to Wave shape

i assumed that "wave shape" was the shape of the wave being morphed (i.e. saw/square/triangle), and "wave morph" was the pot that blends the sine with the other wave, like below:

is that incorrect?
Cobramatic
memes_33 wrote:
Cobramatic wrote:

thanks, Cobramatic! still a little confused about above, though. i guess i'm unclear about the functionality listed in the OP

Cobramatic wrote:
Complex Oscillator:
CV in to Wave shape

i assumed that "wave shape" was the shape of the wave being morphed (i.e. saw/square/triangle), and "wave morph" was the pot that blends the sine with the other wave, like below:

is that incorrect?

Yes, I meant that the pot is the wave morph as you show. You have continuous CV control over that. On my BOB I assigned a switch to that function so the random voltage can be conveniently assigned. I also added a nana for any cv input.

The waveshape is a switch on the main panel with three waveforms. The 3 steps of voltage choose which waveform is selected. I again assigned a random voltage to that via a switch on the BOB and also have a nana input for any other CV source. I'm not sure if a varying voltage gives any degree of mixing of the waveforms if the voltage is between the 3 levels that effect the switch but I do know that voltage control of this function is very useful to spice up any given patch so it is well worth having that functionality - and it works really well in combination with the wave morph control too ( so I assigned the 2 seperate random voltages to these two functions so I can really mix things up when I engage the switches.)

Note that the CV input on the nanas, or the switched in random voltages are summed with the position of the morph pot and the main panel waveshape switch, so for maximum voltage control you should set them on the main panel to their lowest position.

Hope that'll help!
memes_33
great, thanks for the reply. looking forward to further experimentation on my end!
memes_33
i've been spending time with the manual's program cards section as well as experimenting on my own and realized i could have answered my own questions with a little patience, so i appreciate the input Cobramatic!

i've found experimenting is incredibly easy/fun with a few small breadboards and breadboard jumpers like these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016Q6T7Q4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02 _s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EE4QA7O/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07 _s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

with the female jumpers, you can insert resistors in-line and use the male jumpers to touch various points on the cards- very quick easy way to experiment!
memes_33
also, Cobramatic, was there any rhyme or reason as to why you chose the card's random output 1 vs 2 for the various functions you're routing to? i'm thinking of doing something similar to you in routing the random voltages to parameters, but i might have them switch between the two random voltages for expanded functionality. did you experiment with applying the same random voltage vs. different random voltages to two distinct parameters? for example, did you route random voltage #1 to modulation oscillator waveshape and random voltage #2 to mod osc mode because you liked that better than routing random voltage #1 to both parameters? or did you simply make a list and divide between random voltage #1 & #2 without testing the combinations? just curious.

thanks again!
Cobramatic
memes_33 wrote:
also, Cobramatic, was there any rhyme or reason as to why you chose the card's random output 1 vs 2 for the various functions you're routing to? i'm thinking of doing something similar to you in routing the random voltages to parameters, but i might have them switch between the two random voltages for expanded functionality. did you experiment with applying the same random voltage vs. different random voltages to two distinct parameters? for example, did you route random voltage #1 to modulation oscillator waveshape and random voltage #2 to mod osc mode because you liked that better than routing random voltage #1 to both parameters? or did you simply make a list and divide between random voltage #1 & #2 without testing the combinations? just curious.

thanks again!

I actually use BOTH random voltages - which is obviously better because you don't want the same 'random' changing several parameters at once the same way (well, you might want this, but generally not for me).
The selection of which Random went where was a little less than scientific - i tried both but there is never a universal situation where one is better than the other for any given function.
Some decisions are easy though: R1 to LPG1, R2 to LPG2 etc etc.

Strangely I have found in my mini-BOB, which is my 3rd BOB version, see post here:
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=161492

that by routing Randoms differently I get a 'choking' of the random signal depending in the combination of switches on - I can't actually explain this phenomenon, but sometimes it is good and other times not.

The best part about the mini-BOB (and expander which is now added to it) that I highly recommend is having several pulse out combinations from the sequencer. I have each individually which is a must, but also 1 + 3, 2 + 4, 3 + 5 - these are isolated individually and are brilliant for driving separate rhythms and beats.

As you say though, extensive experimentation is great fun and teaches how it works better than anything else.

For me that whole program card concept is just another stroke of genius by Don.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Page 1 of 5