MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
Search is fixed!!! Apologies for the downtime.

Crowminius in Euro
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Crowminius in Euro
oldcrow
Heya folks,

Suit & Tie Guy asked for a module that was the filter/envelope/amp portion of my Crowminius. So, I made what I call "Module B." I am designing module A (osc bank & mod) while waiting for the module B front panel to arrive. I might make these pre-assembled in the future but crOwBX Euro comes first. SlayerBadger! screaming goo yo Guinness ftw!

More later,

Crow

/**/

cutterfiltoff
Nice! applause
sinemod
WOW
So are you going to see those preassembled +panel ?
jdkee
Must have Crow modules soon, Tor. Tor come out of the spaceship. Tor you can't take Santa.'
portobellovcs3
My goodness! I will buy both modules as soon as they are available. Pre-assembled with panel please and thank you Crow! SlayerBadger! screaming goo yo w00t
DonKartofflo
amazing! if you need help with doing preassembled modules, why not cooperate with suit&tie?
oldcrow
Got module A's layouts done. Module A is the oscillator bank/modulation half of Crowminius. It is also a bit more complex than module B. SlayerBadger!

oldcrow
A couple notes:

I tried to provide additional input and output signals as befits the modular environment. On module B, each EG has output jacks, and the filter has a spare external mod CV input w/attenuator in addition to the usual 1V/Oct jack (with jack switchover from the pitch CV that can be provided from module A).
Module B has "MIXER B," which has four inputs, the external audio input with its own gain block and overload soft clipper for line level (or lower) signals, and three inputs for modular-sized signals, topping out at around 8V-pp.

Module A connects to module B with a short "module buss" 2x8 ribbon cable so gates and CVs are common to the module set, as well as the audio signal buss from the three oscillators and noise source. This means "MIXER A" found on module A mixes the oscs and noise signals into the common mixer buss alongside MIXER B when connected. Thus you have a 8-channel mixer: three onboard oscs, noise, external input and the three
8V-pp max. modular signal inputs. Module B has an "OSC BUSS enable" switch so you can disconnect the osc side if needed.

Module A has output jacks for each signal source that are under fader control. These same signals are always sent to the module buss header so as to not need to patch the outputs to the inputs--though if that is what you want to do, go for it. wink

Module A has two sample/hold circuits: one for the LFO S/H mode, and one for implementing a gated or floating glide action. a gated glide stops moving the moment all keys are released while the floating glide continues until it reaches the released key's actual voltage value.

Module A also has external CV input for pitch and mod "wheel" controls, and local controls to act as pitch and mod (though not as "table-saw wheels").

Finally, module A has the two PWM LFOs, one for OSC1 and one for OSC2. OSC3 has an LFOCV input jack. Due to the tight panel constraints of module A, the modulation output CV for modmix (LFO, noise mod) is in fact on module B, although LFO waveforms except for S/H clocking are also accessible from the OSC3 output jack.

All of this is of course on my single-board Crowminius too, I just did a logical split of the synthesizer into two modules, and did a second logical split between the host (panel control) boards and the actual voice circuit boards. I did not include a local MIDICV as in a modular setting you should have one already. I will have a 10HP 4-channel MIDICV module out after this however, designed to work with both crOwBX Euro and Crowminius Euro.

Cheers,

Crow Guinness ftw! Guinness ftw!
/**/
portobellovcs3
salivating! screaming goo yo w00t It's peanut butter jelly time!
oldcrow
Initial front panels,

portobellovcs3
Wow! You have crammed a lot into those panel layouts. I like the layout and am very excited to once again have a Minimoog but in a more compact package and the added PWM is a huge plus.
oldcrow
Module B all finished. Taking a turkey week break while module A stuff gets sent to me. SlayerBadger! Guinness ftw! w00t

wahee
very nice
oldcrow
Time to build module A.

oldcrow
Module A host board finished.

LetTheDeedShaw
Wow! Very impressive build pics! It's peanut butter jelly time!
solidstatedisaster
I am excited to hear this completed!
oldcrow
Oscillator board with all SMT soldered. Just 3 connectors and 15 trimmers to add, and ready for testing and calibration.

oldcrow
That moment you realize you ordered top-adjust 10K multiturn trimmers instead of side-adjust. Guinness ftw! Guinness ftw! Dead Banana
oldcrow
Today saw the arrival of the module A panel. Here is how it is all going to go together, once the 10K side-adjust (3296Z) trimpots arrive. Everything is close-fitting, but that is Euro format for you. screaming goo yo screaming goo yo The host board is tested and the voice board powers up and the supply rails trim, so I expect no issues.

Host board and panel, the connector on the back is the "module buss" to module B. This is NOT a power connector, although applying power here by mistake is harmless. I will doubtless catch flak for using the same header in two different places, but the idea is to reduce the number of line items in the manufacturing BoM.

Voice board (three oscs and noise+S/H), just need those six 10K trimmers (and the 2N3392 noise source):

The boards stack up like this. The camera angle makes the voice board look larger than the host, but they are the same corner dimension.

It should be all ready to go on Thursday. SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger!

--Crow
/**/
nickster
These look really good. Fantastic work you have done bringing these into life. It's peanut butter jelly time! How do you plan to sell these? Through your web shop or through distribution, or both? One last thing any idea of the price yet?
oldcrow
I intend to offer the modules assembled and calibrated. The first batch will be exclusive to my web shop but subsequent batches I will open up to a number of places that have expressed interest. I need to iron out the logistics of production on this first series, which is why the web shop gets them first.

In the pipe ahead of Crowminius Euro is crOwBX Euro, however. I am trying to rig production of all of the above at once as they use a common set of parts. Price is not quite known yet. I am estimating US$450 for Module A and US$350~$400 for module B. It really depends on the pricing I can get for the panels and mechanical hardware as those are the bulk of the cost.

--Crow

/**/

nickster wrote:
These look really good. Fantastic work you have done bringing these into life. It's peanut butter jelly time! How do you plan to sell these? Through your web shop or through distribution, or both? One last thing any idea of the price yet?
oldcrow
A demo of the fully assembled system. The only thing I did not make myself is the case. Quick audio demo at the link below, a basic tuned interval lead that uses MIDI aftertouch to apply vibrato. I used my vintage Lexicon PCM unit for a touch of reverb. Other demos will by dry mixes to show specific features.

Crowminius Euro Demo #1

aquatarkus
Is that a new Old Crow MIDI to CV module I spy (Corwmidius??). Will that be for sale on CS80.com either as a finished module or DIY in the near future?
oldcrow
I will probably offer bare boards for that. I made it mainly for testing things, but it is a pretty good (12-bit) 4-channel MIDICV. crowbx and crowminius batch builds come first, however.

aquatarkus wrote:
Is that a new Old Crow MIDI to CV module I spy (Corwmidius??). Will that be for sale on CS80.com either as a finished module or DIY in the near future?
oldcrow
The initial batch of 25 will be exclusive to my web site (cs80.com). Subsequent batches will have a number of storefronts offering them.

I estimate the prices to be US$450 for (osc) module A and US$350~400 for (filt/env/amp) module B. I'll know more as I actually get them made.

nickster wrote:
phutureboy
oldcrow wrote:
I am estimating US$450 for Module A and US$350~$400 for module B.

Any estimate for the crOwBX Euro module ?
jdkee
Looks and sounds great. Put me down for one.

w00t w00t w00t
clusterchord
phutureboy wrote:
oldcrow wrote:
I am estimating US$450 for Module A and US$350~$400 for module B.

Any estimate for the crOwBX Euro module ?

i'm interested in price and availability date of crowOBX euro too, just ballpark ?

i like the sound of Crowminiuus, but do have one critique.. the positioning of those knobs with blue davies is the tightest of any euro module i have seen. it will be impossible to turn them fully in performance, only bit by bit to avoid accidentaly turning others. not overly ergonomic panel setup i have to notice.
oldcrow
Happy New Year folks! I have decided to go ahead and open a pre-order on the Crowminius Euro module set, see http://cs80-com.myshopify.com/products/crowminius-euro-batch-1-pre-ord er

for details. --Crow
/**/
oldcrow
Crowbx Euro should be around US$700.00

Yes, I knew on the crowminius euro the control spacing would not be ergonomic. I am working on a larger format (5U/MU) host board which is the only real solution as in euro I didn't want to use more than 60HP. More on that elsewhere when it is ready. SlayerBadger!

clusterchord wrote:

i'm interested in price and availability date of crowOBX euro too, just ballpark ?

i like the sound of Crowminiuus, but do have one critique.. the positioning of those knobs with blue davies is the tightest of any euro module i have seen. it will be impossible to turn them fully in performance, only bit by bit to avoid accidentaly turning others. not overly ergonomic panel setup i have to notice.
clusterchord
oldcrow wrote:
Crowbx Euro should be around US$700.00

Yes, I knew on the crowminius euro the control spacing would not be ergonomic. I am working on a larger format (5U/MU) host board which is the only real solution as in euro I didn't want to use more than 60HP. More on that elsewhere when it is ready. SlayerBadger!

wow that's great news, think 5U is natural habitat for any incarnation of the holy moogness hihi

i presume you are shooting for it to be shallow enough to fit their BOX11 series of desktop cases. and with the recent introduction of the new BOX series with keyboard, pitchbend/wheels etc, if someone wants to make a standalone keyboard synth out of Crowminius - practically all elements are there thumbs up

PS that is a great price for CrowBX euro. can't wait to see how it looks.
phutureboy
oldcrow wrote:
I have decided to go ahead and open a pre-order on the Crowminius Euro module set, see http://cs80-com.myshopify.com/products/crowminius-euro-batch-1-pre-ord er

Great news for the Crowminius Euro module yet didn't you say Crowbx would be first ?
oldcrow
Unfortunately my Crowminius module B (filter/EG/amp) was stolen from a vehicle during NAMM. If anyone sees it in the wild, please let me know. There is only the one module B at the moment. Module A and the crOwBX units are safe. Module B is the easiest to build again, at least. Dead Banana

For reference, it looks like this:

aquatarkus
What a POS.

Hope it went well at NAMM for you otherwise...
nidas
I have pre-ordered the Eurorack Mini - looks awesome by the way. Will have a good shoot out agains my old model D from 1973.. If you have made as good clone as the CrowBX this will be kick-ass!

Any info of when to expect shipping
oldcrow
I will be doing the factory assembly of the module A and module B voice boards in early March, along with a batch of desktop crowminius boards. The host boards for modules A and B I currenly have to hand-build, so once the voice cards are done, I will be focusing on those. I am estimating sometime in April for everything, my personal deadline is AMHW 2016. SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger!

nidas wrote:
I have pre-ordered the Eurorack Mini - looks awesome by the way. Will have a good shoot out agains my old model D from 1973.. If you have made as good clone as the CrowBX this will be kick-ass!

phutureboy
oldcrow wrote:
my personal deadline is AMHW 2016. SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger!

Any chance the CrOwBX euro is also available by then ?
oldcrow
Some Crowminius tinkering in the Carlos style. Scarlatti's sonata in G (k.455) using two Crowminius machines.

Scarlatti Sonata in G, k.455
nidas
oldcrow wrote:
I will be doing the factory assembly of the module A and module B voice boards in early March, along with a batch of desktop crowminius boards. The host boards for modules A and B I currenly have to hand-build, so once the voice cards are done, I will be focusing on those. I am estimating sometime in April for everything, my personal deadline is AMHW 2016. SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger!

nidas wrote:

Any news on when you have the finished modules ready for shipping for the ones who pre-ordered?
oldcrow
I am working on module B units now. Still a ways out as I am trying to get the in-house pick&place running.

nidas wrote:

[/quote]

Any news on when you have the finished modules ready for shipping for the ones who pre-ordered?[/quote]
stringsthings
Hi Crow,

I have a question on the Crowminius forum about Rev 1.1.3.

Can you check this when you get time?

Thanks

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2211408&highlight=#2 211408
nidas
oldcrow wrote:
I am working on module B units now. Still a ways out as I am trying to get the in-house pick&place running.

Any news on when I can expect delivey of the crowminius.

Cheers
oldcrow
The B module is done. Working on module A. FYI, email me oldcrow@oldcrows.net for faster response as MW does not always notify me of a new post. --Crow

/**/

nidas wrote:
oldcrow wrote:

Any news on when I can expect delivey of the crowminius.

Cheers
mnml
Crow: I take it that the euro crowminius is SM only, and will be a finished item only and not DIY?

Hats off to this amazing effort.
Faustgeist
Howdy Crow,

I am supporting your kickstarter and am very excited for your build(s)!

I believe you mentioned the 5u version might become part of the kickstarter process, how about the eurorack version?

I feel you would have even more folks jumping on board. Hell, I hope to get the Crowminius in all three formats. Rockin' Banana!

Does one add their name to a eurorack list on this forum? PS: Ill be emailing you as well.

Best regards,
~Robin
oldcrow
I have worked out the 5U and euro builds as tier rewards. These will be made after the initial suitcase version. The materials for small-quantity panel/enclosure runs are not as low as I'd like. Dead Banana

Faustgeist wrote:
Howdy Crow,

I am supporting your kickstarter and am very excited for your build(s)!

I believe you mentioned the 5u version might become part of the kickstarter process, how about the eurorack version?

I feel you would have even more folks jumping on board. Hell, I hope to get the Crowminius in all three formats. Rockin' Banana!

Does one add their name to a eurorack list on this forum? PS: Ill be emailing you as well.

Best regards,
~Robin
Faustgeist
Hi Crow!

I have changed my pledge on kickstarter and have a question.

I am now going for the 5u standalone version.

"This 5U desktop version will include built-in MIDI as well as patchable inputs and outputs for various audio signals and control voltages."

With the midi and power 'built in' - Am I able to take the two 5u panels and add them to my larger dotcom system as I would any movable module? It's okay to me if the midi is not a panel but wired to the stand alone case.

I just want to make sure I am flexible as possible.

As well, there are two threads for your great synth - I hope it's okay to discuss the 5u in this 'eurorack' discussion smile

Best regards,
~Robin
oldcrow
Heya folks,

I've re-launched the kickstarter, which now includes eurorack module options:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1312542133/crowminius-analog-musi c-synthesizer

Cheers,

Crow
/**/
Faustgeist
Alright, I am back on board for a 5U set up. Thanks Crow!

~Robin
Troubleshooter
I noticed no inverted saw on OSC1 frontpanel print. Instead the special waveform usually only found on OSC1&2. It that by mistake or is there something I am overseeing?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 3