MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Help - contac mic + euro = harsh noise
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Synth Noise  
Author Help - contac mic + euro = harsh noise
Bataserpa
Hi everyone

I need some help here. I make harsh noise with euro (Pittsburgh, harvestman and FOH modules) and a contact mic into some pedals (DOD buzz box, Corrosion, Moog Ring modulator, Boss Fuzz) running in parallel in a mixer.

Now I decided I want to get rid of my pedals and have all the set included in a portable euro case. So I need some modules FX that can replace the pedals i mentioned, or at least get brutal result, that also works well with a contact mic attached to a metal junk object.

Because Euro is expensive and there is no way to try some modules in my country (no store sells modules around here) I need to know you guys opinions and experiences, if it's possible.

So, do make it clear, i need advice about what euro fx modules can give me a really harsh noise results processing sounds coming from a metal junk object attached to a contact mic.

For the record, I already have Gozinta (for mic in), Plague Bearer and the Great Destroyer module, but i am not happy enough with the results yet.

I also used forum's search engine, but i need more specific info and opinions for my intentions.

Thanks a lot
EarlJemmings
MASF Osc03 creates its own PE sound, albeit a bit flat. It needs to be run through distortion itself, but the CV ins work great on audio, so its fun in a feedback path. They are also working on a solo distortion which should be cool

4ms Noise swash because Noise swash

I have a lot of fun with the NLC Neuron, but if you're not the DIY sort, some sort of comparator/waveshaper module would be cool

Really anything by Trogotronic

FSS Spectral Devestator sounds awesome from the demos

You may also find the Mikrophonie would be good for you initial input

But getting another plague bearer or two would probably help you along- I've always heard they're great in packs.
And I'll always recommend a matrix mixer for noise.
Dcramer
Sound of Shadows for some noisy delayed madness thumbs up
Navs
I don't know what harsh noise is but I'd say if your pedals give you the sound you want, why look to Euro/ modular?

As Florian Anwander points out in his Synthesizer book, distortion circuits respond to amplitude, so there's not much to be gained from voltage control.

Also, consider your source sound: the contact mic generates pulses which are already the equivalent of a distortion.

That said, I've had fun with audio-rate wavefolding and frequency shifters in the feedback path of delays or spring reverbs.
Bataserpa
Thanks to all so far.

Actually there is no intention to use CV with this modules FX. That's why sounds a little stupid not using the pedals i already have (i agreed), but having everything in a case, using the same kind of cables, makes my live easier.

I already have the MASF osc03, but never thought to use it's Cv ins for audio sources. I will try it as soon as i get home.

There is so many modules, too bad their are expensive. If it's pedal is easier to experiment and sell again if it does not work well in the set. Eurorack modules is difficult, specially in my country, there is no market here.

More opinions are always welcome

Thanks again
EarlJemmings
All said, I do have a growing group of pedals. Although it is great to have cv control over your path, and having parallel and nonlinear feedback routings is amazing, pedals just do great things. and playing live it's nice to have things to stomp on and smack around
EarlJemmings
Navs wrote:
I don't know what harsh noise is but I'd say if your pedals give you the sound you want, why look to Euro/ modular?

As Florian Anwander points out in his Synthesizer book, distortion circuits respond to amplitude, so there's not much to be gained from voltage control.

Just listen to some mezbow, you'll get the picture.

And there absolutely is much to be gained from voltage control, especially in high gain distortions- a feedback paths depends a lot on incoming gain. vcas, filters, bitcrushers attenuated and modulated can do wonderful things.
kineticturtle
I would urge you away from the trap of making gear decisions based on convenience; it's both a money trap and an artistic trap; I've been caught too many times. Use the thing you have that works!

That being said, consider filters that distort more subtly; layer them with your heavy distorters to find wholly new tones. Modulate both to discover infinite combinations.
Bataserpa
Kineticturtle

That's a very good advice.

Thanks, you really made me thinking now
SEASON
Bataserpa wrote:
Hi everyone

I need some help here. I make harsh noise with euro (Pittsburgh, harvestman and FOH modules) and a contact mic into some pedals (DOD buzz box, Corrosion, Moog Ring modulator, Boss Fuzz) running in parallel in a mixer.

For the record, I already have Gozinta (for mic in), Plague Bearer and the Great Destroyer module, but i am not happy enough with the results yet.

Hello,
That's already some nice kit, with many patching possibilities, you have there.
Have you experimented with different combinations in feedback loops?
Bataserpa
I must admit that i have to try more configuration tests. Maybe play more with CV in the case of the modules.

With just pedal noise (which is my background, modular is the new thing for me) i am happy with, i am just not felling the use of eurorack in the setup. I have to play more.

I admit the problem is not the setup or any equiipament itself. Its me and the lack of enough knowledge about euro. That's the reason i am coming to the forum so often
SEASON
Fair enough.
I'm here for much the same reasons.
Pedal noise background...
See you around cool
loachhat
I've been thinking of going with a pop-up slant-top rack/case (normally used for mixers) with the euro setup racked (via those Tip Top ears / Happy Ending kit or whatever), then a recessed rack panel with the pedals velcroed or screwed in below. IIRC they make rack panels more or less for that purpose, with notches for cabling. It's sort of hard to describe, but I've seen it done, with pedals and tabletop synths (like Tetras, etc.).

Now that I'm looking for them I can't find the plates online, or what to call them.

Add that Harvestman guitar pedal fx loop module and voila?
strettara
Not cheap, but the Z-DSP bat filter card can make some pretty amazing and unlike-conventional-analogue-filter sounds.

Which makes me wonder - does anyone do noisy harsh noise on a laptop?
loachhat
Yup, Weise, Gerritt, plenty of folks.
mkultravulture
Impulse drive is pretty great for harsh mic-based sounds. It'll inject some sharper digital sounds into your feedback loop, and has lots of alternate outputs which make complex routing through multiple fx/feedback chains really easier. Not especially expensive either.
FetidEye
to get into feedback, check out the Serge Resonant EQ, it's great to enlargen small sounds into crazy territory of ringing resonance and droning and screaming chaos feedback!

you will want to have VCA's and modulation sources.

another cool (not cv controlled by the way) resonator is the Fitzgreyve moog clone. 3 bands, lots of knobs. sounds very good.

FM tip: use your mic input sounds to modulate oscillators.

sound destruction: Trogotronic M669

Try to use modules in parallel and mix several routings. That way you can destroy sound with a plague bearer, and add bass to the same source.
makes it more wide spectrum wise.
Bataserpa
Thanks a lot for all replies.

Many useful info here. I will keep experimenting. Already have a lot of modules in my list.

Now I just need to find time(and money) to go forward.

Once again, thanks.
j_p_higgins
Bastl announced a new module today that might be of interest to you, allows you to patch stomp boxes as an effects send for the modular. Maybe a middle ground for replacing the pedals entirely? Unfortunately its not being released until June.

http://www.bastl-instruments.com/modular/hendrikson/
mrcharles
Check out Dwarfcraft's euro modules: http://www.dwarfcraft.com/eurorack.html

I've both the Hax and Great Destroyer. These have no modesty whatsoever and I really like them.

I wouldn't plug in a piezo device into my modular unless I knew it could handle the voltage spikes. Anyone knowledgeable about this and care to share?

I have two noise pedals from Electro Faustus (http://www.electrofaustus.com/) that are unpowered piezo devices (Drum Thing and Blackfly) that I run into my Ciat Lonbarde instrument's piezo input. Lots of fun, a great way to inject all kinds of noise, and a great way to sonify your whole desktop.

I think I read something about impedance matching or some such else your piezo device's connection defaults to a 200 Hz low frequency cut filter.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Synth Noise  
Page 1 of 1