MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Kiwi-106 – who's done it?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Kiwi-106 – who's done it?
HipDestroyer
I've seen the Kiwi Technics upgrade for the Juno 106 mentioned a couple of times on the forums, I tried searching but I haven't found much talk on how the installation and use of the Kiwi 106 actually is. There are only a few (really annoying) demos on the interwebs.

So I ask you: who's done the upgrade? How was the installation? Did you run into any trouble? And most important: How's the synth after the installation? Is it all worth it?

I'm saving up money to have the upgrade but it's quite an investment (especially if you want to install the Analogue renaissance VCA/VCF-chips now that you've popped the hood of the synth...). I really like some of the features (detune, extra lfo+env, full midi, extra voice modes, etc), even though I don't give a shit about the software editor.

(If you don't know what the Kiwi 106 upgrade is: http://kiwitechnics.com/kiwi-106.htm)

EMwhite
I've been on the fence about this for a long time. Was going to sell off my 106 but ironically just hooked it up again this morning and realized that I need that 80s sound in my rig and though I've got a VA, it won't dial it up as readily but that's not what you were asking about.

Installation looks easy enough if you are handy. Replacing the chips and all of that desoldering is anything but trivial.

But I agree with you on two things:

1) it's not inexpensive
2) the guy is a megalomaniac (not the folks the make it, the guy behind all of the videos; granted, he has done a lot to push the 106 to the point where people are still hanging on to them and modding them, etc, his personality is just a bit over the top for me. Modesty goes a long way in my book and he's got none hihi)

Realize that if you do it, you'll never recoup that cost so be sure you are married to the synth for good; I've got a MSQ-100 on mine and I think I'll just stay with that, though detuning and an extra LFO would be nice.
jdkee
I modded my 106 back in March. To be honest, I played around with it a bit but I have basically lost interest in the 106 even with the extra LFOs and envelopes. The sound is Roland great but it is still rather limited.

That said, I will never, ever part with it. When I want a simple go-to sit-down have-a-few-beers and make happy sounds synth in 15 minutes nothing is better that the 106, especially with the Kiwi mod. I'll take this one to the grave with the Prophet 5 and Pro One.
HipDestroyer
EMwhite wrote:

Realize that if you do it, you'll never recoup that cost so be sure you are married to the synth for good; I've got a MSQ-100 on mine and I think I'll just stay with that, though detuning and an extra LFO would be nice.

Interesting point. I always thought it would add value to the synth but maybe I'm just a naïve idiot, haha. I'll probably end up having my voice chips cleaned, socketed and perhaps changed to the Analogue Renaissance ones instead. Seems like a better longterm investment.
HipDestroyer
jdkee wrote:
I modded my 106 back in March. To be honest, I played around with it a bit but I have basically lost interest in the 106 even with the extra LFOs and envelopes. The sound is Roland great but it is still rather limited.

That said, I will never, ever part with it. When I want a simple go-to sit-down have-a-few-beers and make happy sounds synth in 15 minutes nothing is better that the 106, especially with the Kiwi mod. I'll take this one to the grave with the Prophet 5 and Pro One.

Did you do the mod yourself ? If so, how was it ?

And did you buy the overlay graphics for it ? That seems like a quite vital thing so you won't get lost in the new features zombie
HipDestroyer
And regarding the synth itself: I absolutely love it. I can spend hours dabbling with it - I really think it's quite diverse in spite of its limitations. Both gnarly and creamy sounds can be made with it. Great for both poly stuff but it's most underrated quality imo is the low end. It can really make the walls rattle! Rockin' Banana!
1986Bowler
I'd like to do it, but I feel wary:

The cost- the conversion to my dollars makes it EXPENSIVE.
Will I really get more out of the synth? I like the arp but I actually have a Roland D-5 that can output arp data.
And the videos I see online don't really scream- YOU NEED THIS.

I love the overlay, but with that and all the other costs, I could get a Deepmind12 that's good enough for government work.

I know I could sell it and get a good price even without the mod.

But I keep coming back to it, so maybe I will pull the trigger at some point.
bradpickapiper
I would want it for oscillator detune. But instead I just record two separate takes without the sub osc on and detune them from each other and it sounds pretty great
Gonzbull
I’m just about to hopefully get the mod done in the next couple of months.
1 of my voice chips is on the fritz and the Juno needs a little general tlc. The Kiwi mod guy, Warren lives half an hours drive from me so I’m pretty keen to have a chat to him as well.
I heard from another local that he got a couple of voice chips repaired while getting the Kiwi mod but he’s good mates with Warren so maybe it’s not something he does for anyone.
maxwellravitz
I put the kiwi cpu in mine, and I dig it. Having velocity makes a pretty big difference to me, mono detune sounds great, extra lfo shapes are nice, and he arp is cool (but it forces the synth into mono mode, which bums me out since I like polysynths with arps where the notes can overlap). It definitely takes some getting used to, and you end up with a pretty different synth than a stock 106, but the more i get used to it, the more i like it.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1