MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

New Eurorack Module - Black Cat Monster K-Fuzz
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author New Eurorack Module - Black Cat Monster K-Fuzz
Non-Digital Tom
Hey Wigglers, just wanted to let you know about this...

The Black Cat Monster K-Fuzz Eurorack Synthesizer Module processes audio input signals through a modified vintage fuzz circuit to create an array of harmonically complex tones and textures. The brainchild of vintage synth collector Tom Hughes (that's me!), the Monster K-Fuzz module has been adapted and optimized specifically for use with modular synthesizers. The Monster K-Fuzz module features variable controls for Saturation and Frequency, 3-position selector switches for Clipping and Voicing, and two separate Voltage Control Inputs. More info here - Black Cat Monster K-Fuzz

Here's a video demo to check out:

ben_hex
I can't watch the video on my iPad 1 but the panel looks great :-)

EDIT I've now watched the video, sounds a little thin to me but not sure if it's the fuzz or input signals. What were the signals used through the fuzz?
bastille
I've had their Superfuzz pedal for at least 10 years. It's fantastic. It and the Malekko B:Assmaster are my two favorite fuzzes for bassy material. It's really their thing, so I've got to think that this module is at least partially derived from that design. Cool to see pedalmakers branching out and giving us more effects units for our cases. RED PANDA CAN YOU HEAR ME?
PolarIceCaves
WHOA don't miss the end of the video

eyes...

PROBABILITY MATRIX LOOKS GREAT!
jezav
This looks (and sounds) really great! Also cool that there are other Black Cat modules in the works. w00t
Non-Digital Tom
ben_hex wrote:

EDIT I've now watched the video, sounds a little thin to me but not sure if it's the fuzz or input signals. What were the signals used through the fuzz?

Not sure what you mean by thin or what the expectation was, but the same triangle wave oscillator was used throughout as the sound source. It was also recorded direct.
Non-Digital Tom
Speaking of the panel, a couple of people have asked about the toggle switches, which were short bat in the demo. Here's what the finished modules look like:

moogboy
bastille wrote:
I've had their Superfuzz pedal for at least 10 years. It's fantastic. It and the Malekko B:Assmaster are my two favorite fuzzes for bassy material. It's really their thing, so I've got to think that this module is at least partially derived from that design. Cool to see pedalmakers branching out and giving us more effects units for our cases. RED PANDA CAN YOU HEAR ME?

I actually discussed this with them earlier this year-they have no plans to do so at the moment. :(
ben_hex
Non-Digital Tom wrote:
ben_hex wrote:

Not sure what you mean by thin or what the expectation was, but the same triangle wave oscillator was used throughout as the sound source. It was also recorded direct.

Cheers for the update. Watching back it's the frequency knob as you loose the body and fundamental in the note. Saturated/accentuated higher frequencies and reduced lower frequencies.

It's nothing mixing the signal with the input wouldn't fix.

Just wasn't when I listened earlier what was going on as it lost the bottom end. But, being able to sweep that in and out is cool.
Non-Digital Tom
bastille wrote:

The Black Cat Bass Octave Fuzz is based on the Maestro Bass Brassmaster. But the Monster K-Fuzz circuit is partially derived from the vintage Kay Fuzztone, which is somewhat similar to the Super Fuzz and the Maestro in that there's a slight upper octave in the fuzz.

I wouldn't necessarily look to pedal makers for coming up with good modular products unless they also have a real understanding and appreciation for synth gear. Reason being: An electric guitar with passive pickups produces a much different signal than a VCO module, which can output signals well above line level. Even after compensating for the differences in power requirements and signal levels, you still have two different types of signal – a fuzz or distortion circuit will react much differently to a static monophonic VCO waveform than it will to a complex and dynamic signal coming from an electric guitar. So the circuit needs to be tailored specifically to the type of signal that’s being processed.
Non-Digital Tom
ben_hex wrote:
Non-Digital Tom wrote:
ben_hex wrote:

Cheers for the update. Watching back it's the frequency knob as you loose the body and fundamental in the note. Saturated/accentuated higher frequencies and reduced lower frequencies.

It's nothing mixing the signal with the input wouldn't fix.

Just wasn't when I listened earlier what was going on as it lost the bottom end. But, being able to sweep that in and out is cool.

Ah, yes... It definitely does loose the fundamental at a certain setting where you're just left with the upper octave from the fuzz. Some interesting stuff in that range that resembles PWM. And yeah, you can sweep that in and out with a lot of odd timbres in between. Those sounds sweep very nicely on CV2. Running the input back into the mix would diminish the overall effect, but you'd definitely keep the bottom throughout... would probably sound huge.
ianross
Can anyone help me understand what the clipping switch is doing on my K-fuzz? It seems to only have low-end at the middle setting. Volume also drops a lot in both directions.

Last, can you lower the LED brightness?
Non-Digital Tom
ianross wrote:
Can anyone help me understand what the clipping switch is doing on my K-fuzz? It seems to only have low-end at the middle setting. Volume also drops a lot in both directions.

That's the nature of clipping diodes, some settings are louder than others. But each has its own characteristics, and react differently to the other controls. The middle position is LED clipping, which is very loud. Germanium diodes have the most signal cut, so that is the quietest setting. The other position uses Silicon clipping diodes, so it's louder than Germanium but not nearly as loud as LEDs.

None of the settings actually drop volume. For the most part, the signal coming out will be louder than the signal going in. It's just that the middle LED clipping position is so LOUD compared to the others. You probably compensated by turning down the VCA or output volume, then switched back to one of the other settings. If you turn the VCA or playback volume back up for those settings, you'll hear what those settings are doing and will be able to dial in the low end with the other controls.

There's also a trimpot on the board to adjust the volume boost.
ianross
I've been trying to master my K-fuzz and I've read what you've written here and it just doesn't match up with how my module behaves. I'm not using any VCAs, just an oscillator into the K-fuzz. clipping switch is extremely quiet both up and down compared to the straight VCO going to my output.

Does the volume trimmer adjust all three clipping modes? The middle mode is fine and I don't need to raise it anymore.

Second issue is with the CV INs bleeding. Are you going to make a version that can accept audio rate CV without bleeding to the output?

Non-Digital Tom wrote:
ianross wrote:

That's the nature of clipping diodes, some settings are louder than others. But each has its own characteristics, and react differently to the other controls. The middle position is LED clipping, which is very loud. Germanium diodes have the most signal cut, so that is the quietest setting. The other position uses Silicon clipping diodes, so it's louder than Germanium but not nearly as loud as LEDs.

None of the settings actually drop volume. For the most part, the signal coming out will be louder than the signal going in. It's just that the middle LED clipping position is so LOUD compared to the others. You probably compensated by turning down the VCA or output volume, then switched back to one of the other settings. If you turn the VCA or playback volume back up for those settings, you'll hear what those settings are doing and will be able to dial in the low end with the other controls.

There's also a trimpot on the board to adjust the volume boost.
7C
has anyone tried this one on drums or are there any examples out there with different sound sources? seems there's no audio of it except the video here..thx!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1