Dunst ideas

home of post-70s electronics

Moderators: Kent, infradead, bartlebooth

Post Reply
User avatar
knifey
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 423
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:06 pm

Dunst ideas

Post by knifey » Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:37 pm

Hi everyone,

Recently got a Dunst (and Fourses). I use my eurorack system for glitchy/random rhythmic stuff. Was wondering if there are any other Dunst users out there with cool patch ideas. what do you use the Dust and Noise CV inputs with, and how do you use the 2 different types of dust and noise?

I'm also kind of new to using noise and thinking about it as a component in my music, so would love some insight from more experienced noise-makers out there.

Much appreciated!

DDJ
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 255
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:42 pm
Location: canada

Post by DDJ » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:14 pm

Hey, I see no one responded to your post. I'm wondering if you(or anyone) would want to share their experiences and give a few tips for the Dunst. I just got mine in the mail today and am scratching my head so far.

Honestly, I couldn't even get a sound out of it. I hope the module is ok...

User avatar
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 7583
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:46 pm
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada

Post by Dr. Sketch-n-Etch » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:35 pm

I've had a few ideas watching the Dunst.



(Kirsten, that is.)
For every bullshit job, you need a bullshit education -- Brian Eno

User avatar
wednesdayayay
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1575
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:17 am

Post by wednesdayayay » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:33 pm

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:I've had a few ideas watching the Dunst.



(Kirsten, that is.)

you've ruined everything :waah:
sh is the sound of data
bobo is the gesture

PB

DDJ
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 255
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:42 pm
Location: canada

Post by DDJ » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:35 pm

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:I've had a few ideas watching the Dunst.



(Kirsten, that is.)
I can't believe you have done this.

User avatar
yghartsyrt
permanent entropy
Posts: 942
Joined: Wed May 04, 2011 1:54 am
Location: Cologne, Germany

Post by yghartsyrt » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:46 am

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:I've had a few ideas watching the Dunst.



(Kirsten, that is.)
Congratulations on your stupid sexist joke.

User avatar
thelizard
in it for the money
Posts: 1383
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:27 pm
Location: Houston, TX

Re: Dunst ideas

Post by thelizard » Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:09 am

knifey wrote:Hi everyone,

Recently got a Dunst (and Fourses). I use my eurorack system for glitchy/random rhythmic stuff. Was wondering if there are any other Dunst users out there with cool patch ideas. what do you use the Dust and Noise CV inputs with, and how do you use the 2 different types of dust and noise?

I'm also kind of new to using noise and thinking about it as a component in my music, so would love some insight from more experienced noise-makers out there.

Much appreciated!
I don't have a Dunst, but I use the SuperCollider Dust uGen frequently (and ported it over to Reaktor if you have R6). There are a few patch ideas to try:

1) Variable "speed" white noise generator. The Dust uGen is essentially a white noise generator with the added complication of each sample having a new probability of being silent or "active". At low "speeds", this will give a vinyl-like crackle. At the highest "speeds" (i.e. always generate a sample, never silent), it will sound identical to white noise. This is a very different sound than something like an LFSR or other variable-speed digital noise sources.

2) Probabilistic trigger source. This shouldn't be confused with something like Mutable's Branches (excellent module, BTW), where you insert a trigger source and the module selectively routes/drops the triggers. Rather, this generates on its own with a density control (the "speed" from the above patch). Don't expect straightforward gridded rhythms off of this.

3) Filter pinger. This is my favorite Dust patch. Run the output into a resonant band pass filter. This is a great way to generate asynchronous grains.

Combining all three patches...
Plug Dunst's Dust output into a resonant filter and a sequencer's trigger input.
Plug the sequencer's output into the Dunst's density and filter's cutoff.
This should give you a very bubbly sound, depending on your filter. Some filter's sound like crap when being pinged. My favorite ones that I've found so far for processing impulses are Mannequins Three Sisters and R*S Serge Resonant EQ. I haven't tried Sprott (or any IEM modules for that matter).

EDIT: Another random idea, since Dunst provides Dust and Noise.
-Run the noise source into the filter instead.
-Run the filter into a VCA.
-Use Dust to trigger an envelope that opens the VCA.
-Use Dust to sequence the cutoff frequency of the filter.
This should give a sort of pitched-ish hi-hat patch.

User avatar
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 7583
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:46 pm
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada

Post by Dr. Sketch-n-Etch » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:56 pm

yghartsyrt wrote:
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:I've had a few ideas watching the Dunst.



(Kirsten, that is.)
Congratulations on your stupid sexist joke.
Congratulations on your utter lack of a sense of humour.
For every bullshit job, you need a bullshit education -- Brian Eno

mrhoudis
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:20 pm
Location: Hudson Valley

Post by mrhoudis » Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:11 am

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:
yghartsyrt wrote:
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:I've had a few ideas watching the Dunst.



(Kirsten, that is.)
Congratulations on your stupid sexist joke.
Congratulations on your utter lack of a sense of humour.
They have a sense of humor and they understand, like I do, that this was a "joke" (as in ha ha funny). They just don't like sexism. Having a sense of humor doesn't disqualify someone from having some integrity about what they make jokes about. Being upset by the objectification of women's bodies and having a sense of humor are not mutually exclusive.

User avatar
yghartsyrt
permanent entropy
Posts: 942
Joined: Wed May 04, 2011 1:54 am
Location: Cologne, Germany

Post by yghartsyrt » Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:10 pm

mrhoudis wrote:
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:
yghartsyrt wrote:
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:I've had a few ideas watching the Dunst.



(Kirsten, that is.)
Congratulations on your stupid sexist joke.
Congratulations on your utter lack of a sense of humour.
They have a sense of humor and they understand, like I do, that this was a "joke" (as in ha ha funny). They just don't like sexism. Having a sense of humor doesn't disqualify someone from having some integrity about what they make jokes about. Being upset by the objectification of women's bodies and having a sense of humor are not mutually exclusive.
couldn't phrase it better.

User avatar
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 7583
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:46 pm
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada

Post by Dr. Sketch-n-Etch » Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:36 pm

Congratulations. You're all a bunch of SJWs. I was just being silly, making a little harmless wordplay. I wasn't "objectifying women's bodies." I said I had ideas. You assumed what sort of ideas I had. You did the objectification all by yourselves, in your own dirty little minds. My ideas were all about becoming a fine actress.

You and your kind suck all the colour out of life.

Who names something a "Dunst" anyway?
For every bullshit job, you need a bullshit education -- Brian Eno

User avatar
ym2612
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1092
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:54 am
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Post by ym2612 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:02 pm

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:Congratulations. You're all a bunch of SJWs.

...

You and your kind suck all the colour out of life.

Who names something a "Dunst" anyway?
I think you're in the wrong neighborhood.

syncretism
Morbidly self-aware and liking it
Posts: 1328
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:05 pm
Contact:

Post by syncretism » Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:03 pm

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:I said I had ideas. You assumed what sort of ideas I had. You did the objectification all by yourselves, in your own dirty little minds.
I've noticed that most people who employ this gambit in bad faith are assholes.

User avatar
windspirit
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 3002
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:43 pm
Location: krellifornia

Post by windspirit » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:20 am

Image

I declare this argument to be over, sooooo...synths?

Also while dunst is a weird word I believe Peter has a degree in linguistics so lots of his synths are silly amalgamations of different words that only make sense to him. As a result we get some awesome synths.

Sorry, never used dunst. The way the circuit is used in the plumbutter is as a snare drum. I believe this circuit is "intended" to be used similarly.

User avatar
diasporos
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 306
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:42 pm
Location: lowell massachusetts

Post by diasporos » Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:55 pm

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:Congratulations. You're all a bunch of SJWs. I was just being silly, making a little harmless wordplay. I wasn't "objectifying women's bodies." I said I had ideas. You assumed what sort of ideas I had. You did the objectification all by yourselves, in your own dirty little minds. My ideas were all about becoming a fine actress.

You and your kind suck all the colour out of life.

Who names something a "Dunst" anyway?
Funny thing is, Peter has written that he named the Dunst partly after Kirsten so there.
Order out of nothingness.

User avatar
Setherian
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 351
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:16 pm
Location: Berlin, Greenland

Post by Setherian » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:33 pm

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:
yghartsyrt wrote:
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:I've had a few ideas watching the Dunst.



(Kirsten, that is.)
Congratulations on your stupid sexist joke.
Congratulations on your utter lack of a sense of humour.
Totally agreed on the supersensitivity up there! :guinness:

But anyway, I have yet to be absolutely in love with my Dunst (and Sprott) like I am with the rest of the IFM line. I do use them all anyways, the Dunst I like to use the 2 squared outs to animate my Swoop basically, I do use the ramp out of the BDUSOU for modulating things, but I didnt find yet a perfect spot for it in my IFM world. I like the sound and the form of the BNOICE out, cause u get random amplitudes n intervals between pulses.
I guess there is something really amazing to be accomplished between the Dunst and the Sprott, I just didnt get there yet..

User avatar
damase
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1614
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:33 am
Location: Texas

Post by damase » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:11 am

Dunst really shines nicely with the optomix. For a while i was trying to get a contained drum module but i realized how unique the dunst drum sounds from this combo can be.

I like to envelope/use the noise as the main sound and put the same envelope on the noise cv, using that pulse output to modulate the noise somewhere in the optomix or the internal VCA, with that you get many sounds from 808 snare to hi-hat noise ect, and you can push it to the extreme and it will overload in places making cool muted drum sounds or experimental backwards sounds very easily. Furthermore, i stick more modulation into the opposing vca cv input for rhythmic variation when i turn it up as it will add or subtract noise from the main sound. You can turn that modulation into audio rate(denum?) and you add a good AM pitched element to the drum sound.

All in all, you can patch it like a drum voice that can easily float from normal to crazy.

Sprott is a similar patch philosphy the internal VCA is integral as it can push the chaos or invert the sound easily. I like taking the chaos out to other patch points so that turning up the chaos has a greater effect on the patch. If the chaos gets screechy i like to play with that sound by the top switch, as it can mellow out the harshness and give you a cool "lightswitch in the middle" type of effect.

Post Reply

Return to “Ciat-Lonbarde”