MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

CR-78 Snare module
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Author CR-78 Snare module
mangros
I've been tinkering with a CR-78 Snare clone for ages. Its lovely robo-tschick is by far my favourite snare sound, and I've gone through a few PCB layouts to get to something solid. I've bolted on some extra features, mostly by stealing from other drum circuits, and despite my rudimentary grasp on the theory it can do a nice range of vintage drum sounds.

Here are some demos where I fiddle with the controls alongside other drum sounds. The controls are: drum tune, noise decay, noise filter, and drum/noise mix.

[s]https://soundcloud.com/radiantsuicide/cr-78-sd-module-demo[/s]

[s]https://soundcloud.com/radiantsuicide/cr-78-snare-module-tests[/s]
 (please ignore the mains hum in the second demo, it was my power supply.)

More info:

15V or 12V, takes 5V gates (demo sounds are being triggered by MI Grids)
BC549 transistors, no obscure parts
Cramped board but all through hole with a few vertical resistors
Board mounted Alpha 16mm pots to suit a 6HP panel, but with extra pads for wiring/headers
Current board version is 83mm x 50mm, $32 for three at OSH Park.

PCBs for sale at OSH Park

It seems to work great, but if anyone wants take a look at the schematic/board to check I haven't done anything daft I'd be very grateful.
The attached images show the latest board layout which I haven't ordered yet. It's mostly the same as the version used to record the demos, but replaces a unity gain buffer with an inverting amp.

I haven't really got any plans for this other than making the OSH Park project public, but I could maybe get a stock of boards and acrylic panels made if there was enough interest.
falafelbiels
Cool little snare!

Nothing more to add except I hope to build one soon...
unrecordings
Nice
I'd order a pcb (don't need panel)
spacedog
WOW - cool

Guinness ftw!
oberkorn
nice minimal sound, love it!
if you do make some PCBs/panels i'll take a set w00t
mangros
Cheers all!

I've ordered three PCBs of the latest layout from OSH Park and been upgraded to the 'Super Swift Service' for no cost as they had some space on an order. Hopefully this means I'll get them in a week or so.

I'll build two and if they both work then the fun can start!
spneca
I'm in if you have an extra PCB.
InfraXpert
I'm in for a couple of PCBs.
No panel, please :0)
roglok
nice, right on time! i'm interested in a PCB. layout looks good. you could add a ground plane and some decoupling caps close to the IC power pins but it will probably work fine as is...
the bad producer
I'd be in for a couple of PCB's too, CR78 snare has been on my list for years, nice job!
mistahad
if you get more pcbs in then im up for one!
basicbasic
Best snare ever. I'd be up for a PCB (and Euro panel if you do one).
janost
Thats nice.
falafelbiels
Be nice Jan.
c1t1zen
Yes I'm interested in two. My favorite "SHH" snare!
Eloc
falafelbiels wrote:
Be nice Jan.

I like to imagine he was questioning the use of the word "nice" as an adequate adjective to compliment the fruits of someones labour. Like "That's 'nice'? Come on guys you can use a more descriptive adjective than that..."

But in reality I guess he was just being insolent.
janost
falafelbiels wrote:
Be nice Jan.

I didn't mean to be sarcastic.

Don't know why there was a question mark there.
Check Mate
I'd also be interested in a PCB/Panel!

Cheers
flts
following this with interest! a single pcb would be cool, or if you make the oshpark project public after confirming it's ok i might just order a set of 3 from there directly to me and local wigglers.
mangros
Hello snare fans! The OSH Park project is now shared. I've only built one from the shared project, but it works fine. I've built two with the previous board revision that also worked fine - the only change on the latest board turns what was a unity gain buffer into an amplifier with some gain. I reckon it's safe to buy!

https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/C6dqLtvr

It should be $32 with free shipping for three boards. However if you don't want three of them then I'll have to start some sort of list and work out costs, which will be a fabulous new experience for me and probably take a while to organise.

I'll finish off the BOM/build notes soon and add them to the first post in this thread.
J3RK
Nice! Always like the sound of this machine.

You've opened the door to DIY 80s soft-rock-pop though. I hope you're aware of the consequences! hihi w00t applause

I suppose I can go for that though. razz
mangros
Noooooooooo! It's all about crisp stark minimalism!

flts
great. will order.

for some reason i associate that particular snare with minimal wave / new wave / synth wave / whatever-they-call-it stuff. the kind of minimal and obscure synth music of late '70s and early '80s and the more recent retro-pastiche stuff.
J3RK
flts wrote:
great. will order.

for some reason i associate that particular snare with minimal wave / new wave / synth wave / whatever-they-call-it stuff. the kind of minimal and obscure synth music of late '70s and early '80s and the more recent retro-pastiche stuff.

I associate it with Hall and Oates. hihi

Is that a mental disorder?
flts
^- That's not bad either! smile
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Page 1 of 4