MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Trogotronic Collier 168
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Author Trogotronic Collier 168
coolshirtdotjpg
http://www.trogotronic.com/wp/product/m168_collier_case/

I wish I had known about this when I started. Has anyone tried one of these guys yet? 10 Amps! I've been dreaming of buying of these guys, selling off most of my modules and building and entirely tube synth in this case... It's much more likely I'll just wait a few years and do that anyway.

"Being of humble subhuman heritage there remains an aspect of joining the modular knob-mob that bugs us: the exorbitant cost of entry due before even the first bit is added to the system. Worse, in spite of the considerable costs, many of the available set-ups are a compromise: wherein there’s little or even no power capacity whatsoever or the mere offering of +5v tap is an optional luxury; wherein fragile / easily damaged enclosures or table top tinker toys are touted as options—arrangements that leave the business end of expensive modules exposed / vulnerable; wherein infuriating substandard mounting systems are the norm rather than the exception. After testing many of these half-assed ideas we decided that every part used in Collier Series Euro-Modular Cases should be formidably robust & user friendly—even when this meant that some parts chew into our net. Collier m/168’s ultra-powerful, worldwide-compatible 10 Ampere Power System coupled with the best rack hardware available on the planet enclosed in a nearly indestructible splashproof case is born a turnkey classic of road-defying durability & outstanding value.

Rugged Splashproof Brief-Case
2 Rows of 84hp = 168hp Capacity
Twin-Pin Removable Case-Lid w/Finger Pulls
PREMIUM Swiss Rails = No Half-Assed Loose-Nut Comedies
10 Amp (10,000mA) Power System INCLUDED
Power Boards Accommodate Up To 30 Modules w/+12v, +5v & -12v
Triple Voltage Status Lamps for Power Board (+12v/+5v-12v)
Power System Works ANYWHERE ON EARTH
STANDARD Power System Supplies = Quick/Easy User Service
m_168_collier_mny

The Collier Case is built for road warriors:
Splashproof case probably floats (for a little while) but whatever—hit it with a hammer or throw it at a wall and you are good… that’s the important point.
And while we don’t condone leaving it in the rain or taking it scuba diving chances are o-ring sealed lid, pressure relief thumbscrew & stainless fasteners WILL will protect your gear when some asshole spills a drink on it at a gig.
The included Trogotronic Power System does NOT have bullshit bells & whistles advertising copy dab-dreamed-up to justify the price—our marketing is simple: offer the cleanest, most powerful Triple DC Voltage system available using standard off-the-shelf power supplies rather than Don Draper hype. Since one can’t believe everything printed on the side of a Chinese box ALL of our supplies are TESTED UNDER FULL LOAD for any voltage drop & may be user replaced in minutes should anything ever go wrong years down the road when the equipment is out of warranty.
Lastly to finish the theme of overabundance with consistency we offer the Collier Case at a price that delivers an extraordinary value.

Specs

Euro-Format
168HP/6RU
Voltages Provided +12v/+5v/-12v
30 Euro Power Outlets
Capacity 10A/10,000mA
Worldwide Mains-Voltage Compatibile
Heavy-Duty Road Case w/ User Detachable Lid
Dimensions 18 1/4″ x 14 1/4″ x 6 3/4″ (36cm x 46cm x 18cm)
Module Depth/Clearance 143hp @ 3 1/4″ (83mm), 25hp @ 2.5″ (64mm)
Mounting System: 3mm Tapped Strip in Premium Swiss Quad-Fastened Extrusions
List of Included Parts

m/168 Collier Case
10A Power System
Printed Instruction Sheet
Warranty Card
Marque Decal
Subhuman Slogan Bumper Sticker
1 Screwdriver"
Matos
That's awesome looking. Hoping they also sell the supply separately.
EarlJemmings
Niiice
Ah, the dreams of a case full of red
Summa
Matos wrote:

It looks like two Switched 5A Bricks mounted inside the case, quite similar to the Synthrotek PSU's I suppose. I have a couple of questions regarding this case since I built a bunch of similar ones:

* Why is the bricks inside the case? Two things would concern me: Heat from the bricks and a lack of depth where the bricks are located.

* Is it really foam in the lid pictured? Why? Space for keeping a patch while closing the lid is something I for one need to a 100%.

* It's bigger than 99% of the airlines carry-on limit in SIZE and probably also in weight when fully loaded.
DonKartofflo
the price is incredible. now if the noise is low, this may or may not be the best value case you can get in euro.
HipDestroyer
Summa wrote:

* It's bigger than 99% of the airlines carry-on limit in SIZE and probably also in weight when fully loaded.

As far as I can tell it (Dimensions 18 1/4″ x 14 1/4″ x 6 3/4″ (36cm x 46cm x 18cm) ) fits every airlines carry-on limit size in dimensions ?
coolshirtdotjpg
Summa wrote:
Matos wrote:

It looks like two Switched 5A Bricks mounted inside the case, quite similar to the Synthrotek PSU's I suppose. I have a couple of questions regarding this case since I built a bunch of similar ones:

* Why is the bricks inside the case? Two things would concern me: Heat from the bricks and a lack of depth where the bricks are located.

Couldn't you make that argument about every case with an internal power supply? I'd much rather have them inside than drag around two power bricks. Heat would definitely be a concern, especially in my dream "all tube" synth. Still I'd take this over two happy ending cases any day.
homodyne

It certainly looks the business!

I think it would benefit from an IEC socket either on the outside of the case or hinged between the case and the rails. I wouldn't want that cord rubbing against the modules in transit - either that or a velcro strip to attach it snugly to the inside of the lid... I guess it wouldn't be so difficult to mod that yourself.

Otherwise a great solution. Sweet.
coolshirtdotjpg
homodyne wrote:

It certainly looks the business!

I think it would benefit from an IEC socket either on the outside of the case or hinged between the case and the rails. I wouldn't want that cord rubbing against the modules in transit - either that or a velcro strip to attach it snugly to the inside of the lid... I guess it wouldn't be so difficult to mod that yourself.

Otherwise a great solution. Sweet.

I agree, I thought that was weird as well. Perhaps this is because its intended to be waterproof?
tromasom
What's the word? Anyone actually using one of these? Definitely a frontrunner as I shop for a new rack.
bhmcc
I’m a relative noob in the Euro world but I’ll try to answer whatever questions I can. I received one of the first Collier 168s from Perfect Circuit Audio a few weeks ago to start my Make Noise system.

It is built very well. Feels quite solid and the power seems to be mounted to stay put during travel. Trogotronic included what I would estimate is at least 60x M3 X 8mm screws and also an allen wrench so that you can snug up the case hardware when the time comes. As far as the foam in the lid goes – no sweat – it’s not glued in or attached in any way…I pulled it out as soon as started loading modules. I also pulled out the hinge pins to remove the lid…this took a bit of force, so much so that I bent one of the key rings on the pins so I plan to get a couple of more robust rings for future use but that'll be cheap so no worries.

My only real concern is the power cord when I decide to take this case out for traveling. My current plan is to mount a tie wrap or a Velcro strap into the lid to tie it in place. I think there might be enough room to do this such that the cord would end up sitting just below the bottom rail and avoid hitting modules.

Overall, I'm quite happy with the purchase and for what it's worth, Trogotronic responded promptly my email question just after to the purchase. Let me know if I can answer any further questions.

Regards,
Brett
vicpop
Can this case stand on its side on its own? I can't tell from the photos
bhmcc
vicpop wrote:
Can this case stand on its side on its own? I can't tell from the photos

If you are referring to the side opposite the handle, then yes. Beyond that, I don't think so.
tromasom
Thanks, bhmcc. Very helpful.

Did you remove the foam so that you can close the lid with cables patched? Is that possible?
bhmcc
Yes, I do and yes it is possible.
bhmcc
Someone PM'd me and requested some pics of the M168 with some modules loaded.

Regards,
Brett
oscillateur
Looks good smile. Thanks for the pics !
building
i dig
deltaphoenix
Awesome, I just ordered one myself.
STST
vicpop: yes, it can stand on its side on its own. it does lean back a little, though, but sits solidly.

i just started putting together my first eurorack system and this case was a great way to get started with something that's portable, powered, and affordable. i am a little concerned about how the power cord will work out once the case is filled up with modules but velcro will probably do the trick.

<br>
Umcorps
If you didn't mind compromising the integrity of the case seal, I guess it would be fairly trivial to mount an IEC socket through one side of the case and use a detachable mains lead.

Can someone who has one confirm that the power bricks used do actually connect to mains earth?
bobbcorr
Umcorps wrote:
If you didn't mind compromising the integrity of the case seal, I guess it would be fairly trivial to mount an IEC socket through one side of the case and use a detachable mains lead.

Can someone who has one confirm that the power bricks used do actually connect to mains earth?

Bump for this question!
bhmcc
Happy to check - how would I verify this?
Umcorps
I think the simplest thing would be to do a continuity test between the busboard ground connection and the earth pin on the IEC sockets of the power bricks.
bhmcc
I'm happy to help, but in this case I think emailing Trogotronic would be best. They were very responsive when I pinged them prior to buying the case.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Page 1 of 4