MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Monster Base Frame
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Monster Base Frame
felix
Dear god...so tempted by this...

http://www.analoguehaven.com/doepfer/monsterbaseframe/

The worst thing is, I technically have the money for it, but I'm trying very hard to save more than I spend...this would of course ruin it...and I don't actually need it yet.

help
eyehue
looks very pretty, but as with most doepfer cases/power supplies, i really don't get that price at all.
parasitk
Stupid expensive, yes, but still a very nice case. If I had money to blow on something like that, I'd get it. razz
pristak
If it had been out when I bought my last portable I would have bought it. Now, no money...
consumed
expensive, nice.
if you were of the motm persuasion, for $1200 you could buy this case (with power and distribution):

sgnhh
^^ That type of stuff pisses me off for real.
thetwlo
consumed wrote:
expensive, nice.
if you were of the motm persuasion, for $1200 you could buy this case (with power and distribution):


where? custom? looks beautiful! was wanting to build something similar until I saw Felix's blog.

The monster base is also tempting(far off future) This monster cases are HEAVY when full, can the monster base really support a double monster?
kidtesla
We're all crazy now! spinning
consumed
thetwlo wrote:
consumed wrote:
expensive, nice.
if you were of the motm persuasion, for $1200 you could buy this case (with power and distribution):


where? custom? looks beautiful! was wanting to build something similar until I saw Felix's blog.


yes, custom. its dave bradley's (stooge moe) at http://www.hotrodmotm.com

he has two of them, but he's selling off half his system and the cabinet.
felix
Yes, the price us rough, but the build quality is high, and it is a unique form factor, I could see people buying this who did not already have a monster case. I really wish Peter, or someone else in the US would start making cases, if for no other reason than competitive pricing.

Regarding holding up a double monster, it just might, however I don't think the double monster is intended to be stacked, but rather setup side by side, which would of course necessitate a 2nd base frame.
parasitk
felix wrote:
Yes, the price us rough, but the build quality is high, and it is a unique form factor, I could see people buying this who did not already have a monster case. I really wish Peter, or someone else in the US would start making cases, if for no other reason than competitive pricing.

Regarding holding up a double monster, it just might, however I don't think the double monster is intended to be stacked, but rather setup side by side, which would of course necessitate a 2nd base frame.


How wide are these monster base frames? Because it's the form factor that attracts me to this - and I'd likely want to stack two racks filled with Frac modules side by side on something like this.
thetwlo
monster base:
http://www.doepfer.de/a100_monster_base.htm
outside dimensions: ~ 920 (width) x 420 (depth) x 210 (height), measures in mm
useable width: 168 HP
useable depth of the front row: ~ 70 mm
weight: ~ 13.5 kg (without modules)
thetwlo
@Felix, hmmm well, they show the double monster stacked at AH and even the Doepfer site, but it's kinda sketchy stacked. gotta secure it at least.
BTW: Felix if you need bolts for the back of your's these are great!
http://cgi.ebay.com/6MM-METRIC-DIN-580-EYE-BOLT-SP-6-PACK_W0QQitemZ110 273171852QQ
or contact me as they're sold in sixes, I had to buy 12 and only need 8.

If I hadn't found the deal on the double monster at Noisebug first. would've grabbed that MOTM case! can't do it now... but it's gorgeous,
As far as comparing goes... that's tough, as that MOTM case holds/powers about 36 modules, a monster case-- about 60+. Just different, get both! The MOTM stuff is fantastic, worth adding to any frac or eurorack! MOTM was pretty pricey, but now with the weak $ it's not so bad, the feel/quality is amazing, They just take up so much space!
felix
thetwlo wrote:
@Felix, hmmm well, they show the double monster stacked at AH and even the Doepfer site, but it's kinda sketchy stacked. gotta secure it at least.
BTW: Felix if you need bolts for the back of your's these are great!
http://cgi.ebay.com/6MM-METRIC-DIN-580-EYE-BOLT-SP-6-PACK_W0QQitemZ110 273171852QQ
or contact me as they're sold in sixes, I had to buy 12 and only need 8.

Awesome, thanks so much, I was just about to start looking into that!
Madcap Labs
I ordered one as soon as Shawn got 'em in - mine's coming Wednesday, so I'll have pics and a somewhat detailed report. I had a full Monster until a couple of months ago - it was just a little unwieldy for me. I have two suitcases which I intend to put on top of it - the equivalent of a Monster case, but in a slightly more manageable form factor. I've also an additional G6 and 8 spaces of Frac, which will go above the Monster mess - it's all on a very handy rack system that I bought at The Container Store for around $200.00 - a "before" pic is enclosed. I might finally have space for all my Euro - let me hear a heavy sigh from all y'all who've ever told themselves that lie :-)

Peace and love,

Ed
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group