MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

RYO Aperture - A resonant LPG in 8hp
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Author RYO Aperture - A resonant LPG in 8hp
MindSnared
Hello everyone!

Hope you are well as the holidays approach and the days gets shorter. As some of you might already have noticed we finally got a new audio processor out, and it sounds great if we may say so ourselves smile

Here is a couple audio and video snippets of what it can do, and also all the gory details below: Guinness ftw!

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/232747418" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_use r=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]
[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/232729526" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_use r=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]
[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/232048931" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_use r=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]
[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/232048620" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_use r=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]

The RYO Aperture is a vactrol lowpass filter and VCA module inspired by the much beloved 292 Lopass Gate from the Buchla 200 series modular system of the 1970s. However, rather than being a straight up clone, the Aperture is a newly developed and reworked design for eurorack modular synths.

Aperture can be used as a 12dB lowpass filter, a VCA or a combination of the two similar to the 292 but also adds a new switchable resonance circuit. This solution gives you no less than 6 different characteristics!

* Non resonant lowpass filter
* Resonant lowpass filter
* Both: Non resonant lowpass gate
* Both: Resonant lowpass gate
* VCA
* 6dB variety of resonant lowpass gate in the VCA mode with resonance on.

The resonance goes from smooth and twangy to increasingly bubbly and acidic to wild and untamed howling towards the end of the pots range. The self-oscillation also lends itself well to creating kickdrums, toms and other percussive sounds.

The result is a very wide range of sound shaping possibilities, from the classic resonant filter sweeps of east coast to the plucky acoustic timbres of west coast synthesis and everything in between.

Also added is a unique "Klang" function. The Klang input generates a decay slope from a trigger, the shape is very steep in the beginning and quickly smooths out to a nice prolonged ring, resulting in a very natural acoustic sounding tone.The circuit was specifically tailored for this purpose and does not give the same result as just using a decay envelope with the regular CV input. Experimenting with different trigger voltage and length will affect the response of the decay and overall shape. It will also work with other control voltages but will add a falling slew to the signal. Trigger the CV as well as the Klang input at different intervals for simulating the impression of striking a drum or string instrument in different ways.

Finally, the input is AC coupled and has a dedicated attenuator with clipping overdrive towards the end of the pot range for adding a bit of extra bite to the incoming signal. The signal input is scaled for 10Vpp audio signals. The AC coupling comes after the overdrive circuit so you can add offsets to your audio with RYO Ampmix and many other modules to get an asymmetric clipping.

Recommended Retail Price in SEK excl. VAT/sales tax.
SEK 1100 for the DIY kit (ca $126)
Price for PCB*/Panel only and assembled TBA.

You can find it at Thonk, Control in Brooklyn and Escape From Noise very soon!

Product page @ our website

Muffs build thread can be found HERE.

Hope you like the Aperture and thanks for watching! Forumcat #2
stabilt
Here is the BUILD THREAD!
Robscorch
Nice tiny and powerful. I'm liking the Penta any chance of putting 4 Penta's together so we can get an Icosa as well...? screaming goo yo
stabilt
Robscorch wrote:
Nice tiny and powerful. I'm liking the Penta any chance of putting 4 Penta's together so we can get an Icosa as well...? screaming goo yo

Oh that would be lovely! Play Him Off, Keyboard Cat.
And the far to long awaited 16-step expander. After that, who knows. Coffee Addiction FTW
Summa
this looks like the first RYO kit I'll pick up, I've been eyeballing the other stuff before but never got around ordering anything... I need another LPG in my system!
necrobious
Ordered my kit Control yesterday, can't wait to build it! thumbs up
ben_hex
Summa, good choice! It sounds fantastic!
Plumbstone
This looks great, just waiting for Thonk to re-open in the morning... The Optodist was a joy to build and even better to use.
cyphersum
Sounds great, looking forward to building this. Just picked it up on sale at Control.
MindSnared
Thanks guys, we really appreciate your support and hope you'll enjoy the module as much as we do smile

There will be a video demonstration by our modular video overlord DivKid later on when his schedule allows it, we're much looking forward seeing the master at work! SlayerBadger!
HipDestroyer
Looks and sounds great. Good job
MindMachine
Sounds really versatile for a LPG. Nicely done.
magicfish
Can you get optodist sounds out of the overdrive?
moofi
Quite interested in it aswell, then having bought quite a lot just recently, it has to wait :-)
albiedamned
Will there be a US retailer selling assembled modules? Synthcube has had assesmbled RYO modules in the past, but I'm not sure if they're still an official dealer or not. Control only sells kits.
stabilt
Thank you everyone! screaming goo yo

The Aperture and Optodist don't sound very similar. The Aperture don't drive nearly as much as the Optodist and it's very different circuits.

Synthcube is still an official dealer and they have some assembled RYO in stock but it's difficult finding time to do assembled modules between all the demand for kits. It's all hand built and these modules aren't designed for mass production but rather to make them easier to build as DIY so it takes more time that it otherwise would. So it's hard to say when assembled Apertures will be available.

Happy wiggling to you all! Bananallama!
nectarios
I think it sounds fantastic. Proper squelchy and punchy.

Looks like I am going to have to get one, I reckon it will sound great going into my Optodist as well.
hawkfuzz
This sounds great. Love all the functions. Maybe Santa will bring me one.
aero
Great module SlayerBadger!

What are the vactrol like, slow ? Fast?
david_r
speaking of the vactrols. if you see the build instructions, they are removable! applause

I will be starting my build today.
aero
david_r wrote:
speaking of the vactrols. if you see the build instructions, they are removable! applause

you mean you can change they're types/values?
david_r
aero wrote:
david_r wrote:

I mean they're swap-able, not soldered to the PCB. They go in sockets so if you don't like the included vactrols you can replace them.

See step 10 in the build instructions:
http://ljunggrenaudio.com/aperture.pdf
chapelier fou
This looks like an amazing module ! Love the sound, love the panel design !
Well done !
aero
david_r wrote:
aero wrote:
david_r wrote:

I mean they're swap-able, not soldered to the PCB. They go in sockets so if you don't like the included vactrols you can replace them.

See step 10 in the build instructions:
http://ljunggrenaudio.com/aperture.pdf

thank you smile

However my question remains, this is sold as a kit and it's part of its beauty to me. I'd rather not change them later.

I'm not familiar with that brand of optocoupler and it'd be useful to me to know if they come in the slow or fast fashion. smile
hawkfuzz
datasheet of the vactrol
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Page 1 of 4