MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

PB drums clip (with new clips 11/26)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Flight of Harmony Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author PB drums clip (with new clips 11/26)
gde
here is a short clip of me using a dual plague bearer for "drums"

i patched the output back into the input and turned the input up to a point before self-oscillation i have a gate signal going into the high CV and a CV going into the low CV

the two CV sources i used were an 8 step sequencer and a triangle LFO
i forget how exactly i set up the gates but there was some clock division involved

as is probably obvious after starting the clock theres no other interaction or tweaking going on, just letting the drums groove on...

rhythm or music isnt exactly what i use my synth for but i do like the drum sounds these PBs can make
cv slime 800
That is loverly and rubbery. Suddenly the 'Plague Bearer Stand Alone Device' seems even more attractive as it could act like a complete drum machine of sorts... hmmm...
Soy Sos
Dopeness!! Love it. Percussion like this is one of the main uses for my system.
Cat-A-Tonic
That is some lovely thwippy thwap farty fart.
and I mean that in the best possible way.
JohnLRice
Sounds cool!
Kent
Wow! That reminds me of the Metasonix D-1000! I'm gonna try this idea with my Dual Plague Bearer. Thanks for the idea. Awesome.

=== 3 hours later ===

I'm failing here. What are your knob-settings, good sir? I only get little clicks. No farts.
flight
Kickass, I've been waiting for someone to try this! That was great, thank you!
I know the PB can also do some really good kick drum tones, toms, and a fair high-hat. I haven't had a chance to get a good snare out of a single unit, but it can be done with two.

@ cv slime 800: The Quad PB is great for doing a 4-piece kit. wink
deastman
Very cool! I'm going to have to give this a try myself...
ritchiedrums
Wow!
nrdvrgr
After playing around with just one PB (feeding it lots of gates/triggers and then ran it through a QMMG) I am going to order a few more right away.

This was a revelation! I soon have a whole drum-set in my modular... and where I was not expecting to have one. Great!
gde
i just built a little module for rhythm generation this week so heres some more clips
the "rhythm generator" im using has two dual 4-stage shift registers, two divide-by-two dividers, and a 4 step counter.

i only use one clock which clocks both the shift registers and then run some of the outputs to the PB's or through a divider and/or the counter

in both samples my only sound source is a dual plague bearer. no vca's, vcf's, no anything else etc

the first sample has nothing plugged into either input of each plague (no feedback either) and then i have separate gates from the rhythm generator running into the low and high CV's of each PB. the outputs of the two PB's are multed together which actually affects the sound and response of both PB's

the second sample has the output of the first PB fedback into its own input as well as the gain CV of the second PB. different gates are routed to the low and high CV's of the first PB as well as the input and high CV of the second PB. the output is taken from the second PB
gde
i always forget attachments post in the opposite order that you upload them in... the "second" clip i mention is the one with the number 2 in the file name
CursedFrogurt
Very cool stuff! I got excited when I read this the first time a while ago, but wasn't having much success making my own drum noise out of the QPB. I've been craving primitive nasty drums, so reviving this thread got me trying again. Love the second one with the gnarly "bassline" going on.

I don't have anything really good for rhythm generation, so I ended up using my AFG and Wogglebug to piece together something resembling a rhythm. The computer is annoyingly far away, I'll record something if I make something that's cool enough to overcome apathy.

I'm planning on starting up DIY stuff now that I finally have space to work and time to learn, and rhythm generation was at the top of my list. I'd love to see more about the module you built, and any resources / pcb's you used to make it.

Keep thumpin!
Johnisfaster
gde wrote:

in both samples my only sound source is a dual plague bearer. no vca's, vcf's, no anything else etc

I don't quite gather what you mean here, how is the plague bearer making sound? I've never got mine to actually generate it's own sounds. Are you pinging it with triggers?
CursedFrogurt
Johnisfaster wrote:
gde wrote:

I don't quite gather what you mean here, how is the plague bearer making sound? I've never got mine to actually generate it's own sounds. Are you pinging it with triggers?

Hit it in the High input with a trigger or fairly quick expo envelope. It'll make some noise for you. Depending on the setting of the knobs and the speed/amplitude of the envelope, it'll either make a nice pop, a squidgy plop, or even ring a bit (especially at lower frequencies) like a lpg.

And if you patch up some feedback, look out!
gde
yes, sorry if i didnt explain the patch good enough....
but the simplest patch would be to have a gate or trigger source plugged into the high cv and listen to the PB's output, turning the gain up helps in that simple patch

gates sometimes make two "drum hits" one when the gate goes on and another when it goes off, its also fun as the two hits may sound like different "drums" depending on the patch
gde
CursedFrogurt wrote:

I'm planning on starting up DIY stuff now that I finally have space to work and time to learn, and rhythm generation was at the top of my list. I'd love to see more about the module you built, and any resources / pcb's you used to make it.

the shift register is the main part of the module
it uses the CMOS 4015 dual shift register chip
i cut a lot of corners on the module
i neglected to use any proper input or output sections
i just have a diode on the inputs and a 1k resistor on the outputs
its powered off 5 volts so the gate outs are 5 volts

i have the module so that both shift registers are separate, but im thinking about adjusting it so that they are always linked to be a single 8-bit shift register instead of two 4-bit shift registers. you can link the two by clocking them by the same source and having the 4th output of the first register go into the data input of the second register

if you plug an audio rate oscillator into the data input you essentially get a "random" one or zero with every new clock pulse. this is great because although the gates are random they will always be on beat

also add a switch on the data input so that you can route the last output of the register to the data input, this lets you loop the last 8 beats the register played (the second sample uses the register in a loop)

the other main part of the module is two divide-by-2 dividers made from the CMOS 4013 dual flip flop
when you have the flip flop's Q2 output wired to the data input it divides the input by two.
i also cut the corners on this part...
all i did was tie Q2 of each flip flop to the data input and then grounded the set and reset pins and then used diodes for the inputs and 1k resistors for the output

so yeh that part of the module requires one IC, two diodes, and two resistors, super quick and easy
CursedFrogurt
Well, I didn't stay in drum territory for long, but you've got me cookin' for sure:

http://soundcloud.com/artrythall/plague-banshee
[edit] okay some drums now. gde, your examples give me drum envy! Ah well, I'll keep practicing.
http://soundcloud.com/artrythall/plague-drums-test

I don't understand most of what you said regarding the DIY stuff lol I guess I have to get reading. Sounds like I shouldn't have to get too involved to get some clock processing / logic results, so that's cool!
CursedFrogurt
This shit is too much fun to noodle around with.

http://soundcloud.com/artrythall/plague-drums-woggle-song
jenamu6
Wow nice sounds guys.

Gonna try that triggering the Plague tonight.
CursedFrogurt
CursedFrogurt wrote:
Johnisfaster wrote:
gde wrote:

Hit it in the High input with a trigger or fairly quick expo envelope. It'll make some noise for you. Depending on the setting of the knobs and the speed/amplitude of the envelope, it'll either make a nice pop, a squidgy plop, or even ring a bit (especially at lower frequencies) like a lpg.

And if you patch up some feedback, look out!

I forgot to mention that you get a nice ringing tone if you hit it with an inverted envelope, so Maths is your best friend here. Set the gain pretty high, low pretty near pegged, high around 1-3 o'clock, envelope goes into the high input. Nice tom sound, pitch is adjusted with the high knob. Longer envelopes yield interesting results. Patch a different rhythm into the low cv, and you'll get pretty tame variations on the drum sound, but keeping about the same pitch.
gde
CursedFrogurt wrote:

I don't understand most of what you said regarding the DIY stuff lol I guess I have to get reading. Sounds like I shouldn't have to get too involved to get some clock processing / logic results, so that's cool!

yeh sorry, i kinda babbled on about it in maybe an unclear manner

here are the connections...
1 to 9
2 to 7
6, 8, 14 to ground
16 to 5volts

10k resistor from 15 to ground
100k resistor from 1 (or 9) to ground

wire the common lug on a SPDT switch to pin 15
wire one of the other lugs to pin 10 and the other lug will be where you plug in your data input (use a diode)

the clock input is then pin 1 (use a diode between the input and the chip)

wire 13, 12, 11, 2, and 5, 4, 3, 10 to output jacks via 1k resistors
thats it

the module will have two inputs one to clock it (tempo) and the other input will decide the patterns
the switch will loop the pattern if you want
and you have 8 gate outputs... to gate things (or to send to a mixer to get a funky sequencer)

i hope that was a better explaination
you will have to use a gate/ trigger for the clock input if you want it to work as intended, smooth waveforms sometimes cause it to act up
CursedFrogurt
gde wrote:
CursedFrogurt wrote:

yeh sorry, i kinda babbled on about it in maybe an unclear manner

It wasn't so much as you were unclear as I don't know my ass from a hole in the ground when it comes to circuitry. Not even ohm's law! I have a desire to learn, that's about all of my credentials right now. I don't even have a soldering iron yet hihi . Just an empty workbench! I appreciate the clarification, and it has a fair chance of being my first diy attempt once I'm all set up.
HueMonContact
I was going to get a PB for my 2nd 6u case... I have to have 2 now!
Automageddon
Is it possible to create some drum sounds on a single plague bearer?

I tried over the weekend end all I could get were plops (or heavily distorted kick drums when patching the audio out in the input and raising the input level).
Maybe I got something wrong here's more or less what I was doing:
- run a midi pattern with notes of various lenghts;
- midi gate signal in going into an adsr in
- Adsr out 1 to gain, out 2 to HI

then I messed around with the envelope shape and the input, sometimes feeding the signal back in.

I like the PB as filter/fucker/etc, I'm not getting it yet as drum generator, but I admit I might have got something wrong...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Flight of Harmony Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2