MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
Happy holidays! Please see the year-end funding drive post in the Announcements subforum. Thanks and all my love to you beautiful people.

OTO machines BAM
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Author OTO machines BAM
grillo
First demo I heard of the new OTO reverb box, this is the ambience algo

[s]https://soundcloud.com/oto-machines/bam-ambient [/s]

I don't need it and yet I want it Dead Banana
trickness
I love their stuff and this sounds awesome. Waiting on my Biz-quee!
replicalex
I'm waiting on my Biscuit hyper

but their new boxes look really great. if only I had more
h4ndcrafted
The latest machines seem like so much money, what's the draw over getting some vintage rack mount ?
cranleigh
h4ndcrafted wrote:
The latest machines seem like so much money, what's the draw over getting some vintage rack mount ?

Form factor, reliability, warranty, midi control, knobbiness!
DiscoDevil
h4ndcrafted wrote:

Yeah, midi control, portable, amazing sound quality. The BIM is my favorite delay ever.
h4ndcrafted
I have eyed these up for a while , but then think I could pick up an old lexicon unit or eclipse or something ?
DiscoDevil
h4ndcrafted wrote:
I have eyed these up for a while , but then think I could pick up an old lexicon unit or eclipse or something ?

I'd think you'd be in the $1000+ range for the vintage equivalent and you'd not have all the midi and other features offered.
cranleigh
Yeah I almost bought a Lexicon PCM81 recently for $600, the BAM seems like a much more desirable purchase IF the sonics are comparable. Looking forward to more demos...
h4ndcrafted
DiscoDevil wrote:
h4ndcrafted wrote:

I'd think you'd be in the $1000+ range for the vintage equivalent and you'd not have all the midi and other features offered.

I thought the Eclipse had midi ? I was thinking in terms of once you had bought all three.

Watching the videos though I can see these are a totally different vibe and a lot more hands on. More like high quality guitar pedals.
DiscoDevil
h4ndcrafted wrote:
DiscoDevil wrote:
h4ndcrafted wrote:

I thought the Eclipse had midi ? I was thinking in terms of once you had bought all three.

Watching the videos though I can see these are a totally different vibe and a lot more hands on. More like high quality guitar pedals.

It does but I'm not sure it's got easily assignable CCs for all of the useful functions? Anyhow, yeah... different beasts. This is more modeled after the early 80's digital boxes.
bastille
h4ndcrafted wrote:

Most of those really excellent 80s digital 'verbs have some real concerns about them. Many old Lexicons are near impossible to service (lots of the good techs refuse to touch them) should something go wrong unless you can track down parts and do the work yourself. AMS units still cost as much as your first car did, and when they invariably shit the bed, they'll cost nearly as much to have properly fixed unless you again are capable of doing it yourself.

Eventide H3000s are still a reasonable bet. They aren't so pricey to purchase or repair as to feel like a total liability - though the 'verbs aren't really the highlight effects on them. The Klark-Technic reverb often sells cheaply enough to take a chance on, too.
grillo
h4ndcrafted wrote:

Yeah, I mean, on one hand you're right. I've seen this kind of thing discussed ad nauseam about the biscuit too. The stuff they do is boutique, it's very well designed (like the reverse markings on the back of the biscuit are a clever touch) and looks and feels different.

It's probably not worth the money straight up but then again lots of music gizmos are like that.
blinosynth
if for bim I was a little hesitant now I'm fOckink sure
I want that pedal eek!
(at least until next moday... hihi )
jokes aside... I need a reverb and OTO product are beautifull!
waiting for the new realise!!! Guinness ftw! hyper SlayerBadger! MY ASS IS BLEEDING
d'oh!
bastille
I've got Biscuit and Bim - and yea, you can get comparable sounds for less money. The Oto stuff though is well made, cool sounding, and fun/sometimes tricky in use. It's that whole thing about what's immediacy, enjoyment, and inspiration worth to you - plus modern build and support. I'll be grabbing Bam as well. They're as much instruments as they are effects.
nepsis
That algo sounds great!
geoffmar
sounds great
rhythmdial
ohhh myyyy this sounds so damn good, I really need to work some overtime for

grabbed a vintage korg analog delay to use in place of a new OTO box but its just not the same, not as nice, clean, easy, saturating, small, MIDI-able, I like it but I will always have dreams of the OTO real deal.
iceeslunk
There is now also an example of bam room reverb on oto's soundcloud!
oisin
cranleigh wrote:
h4ndcrafted wrote:

l love my lexicon lxp-1 which is a small half rack, very reliable, has midi control, knobs and cost me 40 bucks.

not to knock on the OTO boxes im sure theyre great, but don't sleep on the original quirky hardware (that these boxes are - partially - emulating). cool
DiscoDevil
oisin wrote:
cranleigh wrote:
h4ndcrafted wrote:

l love my lexicon lxp-1 which is a small half rack, very reliable, has midi control, knobs and cost me 40 bucks.

not to knock on the OTO boxes im sure theyre great, but don't sleep on the original quirky hardware (that these boxes are - partially - emulating). cool

The original quirky hardware these are based on are far more expensive than the OTO boxes. I think that's much of the appeal. The LXP-1 is a nice unit but not on the same level as the early 80's ones these boxes are based on.
rhythmdial
oisin wrote:
wish I could snag one for $40 also! Haven't seen any for less than about $200 and even more being bundled with an lxp-5 and mrc. Still the lxp-1 isn't as feature rich or user friendly as the OTO BAM, its a great new box! I will lurk for used ones, someday, to save my $$$
blooper
Beautiful room demo.

[s]https://soundcloud.com/oto-machines/3emedemobam[/s]
xonetacular
hope we hear some more about this soon. not sold on the bim yet but this I want
DiscoDevil
BAM was supposed to be released in February. Has anyone heard anything?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Page 1 of 5