Mutant Machine - non-percussive uses?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord

Infinity Curve
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Mutant Machine - non-percussive uses?

Post by Infinity Curve » Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:29 am

As much as I love what this guy is capable of, I've been considering letting it go due to the HP it takes up and things I could use that space for. I also have the bass drum and hats as well as a Basimilus and tons of harvestman, so I'm not lacking in percussion options really.

Obviously I mainly use it for snares and kicks, occasionally glitchy hihats and stuff, but I'm curious if anybody out there has any examples of uses for it outside of percussive stuff. Got any crazy examples to share? I've never really messed with it outside of a drum context, so I am wondering if I am missing anything more esoteric it can excel at.

Inspire me. I plan to give it a good wiggle this weekend to see what kind of wackiness I can coax out of it while I try and decide what I'm doing - will share if I find anything neat.

tiny333
SONIC WARRIOR

Post by tiny333 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 3:05 am

Try the wave outputs ....

Infinity Curve
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Infinity Curve » Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:40 am

Any interesting examples? I mainly started this thread looking for really outside the box ideas to breath some new life into the module for me. I've been tuning my system and swapping things out and I'm at a point where there are a couple things I want to add but not really anything I want to remove. The MM is 29hp and more often than not I just use it for snares, and I've been thinking I could totally use that space for the last couple pieces of the puzzle. I've got snares and percussion covered whether I keep the MM or not, but because it is a great versatile module, I'm still hesitant. Thought it might be an interesting discussion, always interested to hear how others might approach the same module differently

danielraffel
Common Wiggler

Post by danielraffel » Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:30 pm

Maybe try pinging the folks @HI. Awhile back they mentioned that they had been assembling a doc with some patch ideas. Perhaps there are some unique ideas in it?!

carlfunkenn
Common Wiggler

Post by carlfunkenn » Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:39 am

awesome module!

homodyne
Veteran Wiggler

Post by homodyne » Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:19 am

Also curious about other uses for this module. I don't have one and considering it for a rack that is drone/ experimental oriented.

I want to have a capable drum module to avoid tying up filters, envelopes and oscillators when I need percussive sounds, but not into a module that will only do (the classic analog) percussion sounds.

It's got a very nice digital noise source, and two oscillators with individual outputs and waveform scan, and of course the internal envelopes can be used with other sounds - I did my homework.

Question is if anyone here is using it for non percussive sounds and how it compares to other complex oscillators when used as such.
We're only in it for the vactrols.

evs
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by evs » Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:45 am

Old thread, but I would like to know, too!
The complex sound demos on SoundCloud from hexinverter are a bit underwhelming ..
Anyone got any crazy fx examples here?

Multi Grooves
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Multi Grooves » Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:57 am

tiny333 wrote:Try the wave outputs ....

So much this!
...but Cynthia, my Daddy never had a heath kit..

Multi Grooves
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Multi Grooves » Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:58 am

danielraffel wrote:Maybe try pinging the folks @HI. Awhile back they mentioned that they had been assembling a doc with some patch ideas. Perhaps there are some unique ideas in it?!
I posted it on the thread already about 2yrs back iirc... :hmm:
...but Cynthia, my Daddy never had a heath kit..

evs
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by evs » Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:24 am

some sound examples of it beeing used NOT as a drum source?
found a bit, but not enough..:-)

Return to “Eurorack Modules”