MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Buchla 216 controller question
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Author Buchla 216 controller question
Cobramatic
Im really interested in the 216 as an alternative touch plate controller for the Easel.
The right hand side 8 keys are easy to understand but the 3 keys on the left...?
I'm assuming it is an Envelope generator with adjustable decay time but what are the bottom three pots doing?

Ive read the following descriptions elsewhere:
"The first three touch sensors provide a voltage output with a variable baseline and decay time and a pulse (gate) output"
and
"The other control surface has 3 separate rows with individual pulse and voltage outputs per key, this section also features tunable voltages and programmable decay times"

So is it a Sustain control (latched?) combining with the Decay CV on the individual key output, or a seperate tunable voltage available on the Row B outputs (as per the other 8 keys)?

Really appreciate anyone clearing this up for me - be great to see a video demonstrating this clearly too.

ryangaston
Curious about this too...
Those bottom three knobs act as an offset, but how that offset is related to the decay stage isn't clear to me.

My guess is it's the baseline offset value at which that particular key is set post-decay.

Anyone with 216 experience care to comment?
vgermuse
Hope this helps, part of a major tutorial I'm currently preparing...

https://www.hightail.com/download/ZWJVdFdabWdtMExMbjhUQw

w00t
Cobramatic
vgermuse wrote:
Hope this helps, part of a major tutorial I'm currently preparing...

https://www.hightail.com/download/ZWJVdFdabWdtMExMbjhUQw

w00t

Thanks very much for that Todd - looks like a very well presented series you have going there - can't wait to see some more of them.

I still have one question though - if those bottom 3 pots dial in a 'preset voltage' then I assume that is available on the same jack as the envelope Decay - meaning that it acts as a kind of baseline or sustain then?
(or are the bottom 3 pots output on the "B" Output with the other 8 keys?)

It seems you would not be able to use these 3 keys for Pitch AND Envelope simultaneously though, unless you intend your pitch to have a sharp high pitched attack spike before decaying to the baseline or preset level - have I got that right?

Really not sure what I'm missing here very frustrating
I guess a demo would clarify it best....
vgermuse
Cobramatic wrote:

I guess a demo would clarify it best....

Here you go, hope it helps. . .

https://www.hightail.com/download/ZWJVdFdaY3lJMHZtcXRVag
w00t
Cobramatic
vgermuse wrote:

w00t

Todd, you are the oracle of all things Buchla and very generous with that knowledge too -- Thank you again.

That certainly makes the function very clear.
I'm guessing this particular function was similar to the Buchla 100 'keyboard' used for firing envelops to control the VCA's for the tape inputs and the like - certainly gives me some ideas in that regard...

Also useful for modulation, as you have shown, and switching - but less useful for pitched playing (on those 3 keys) - but that's what the other 8 keys are for.

Now I've just got to get my hands on one... screaming goo yo
vgermuse
Cobramatic wrote:
vgermuse wrote:

w00t

Todd, you are the oracle of all things Buchla and very generous with that knowledge too -- Thank you again.

That certainly makes the function very clear.
I'm guessing this particular function was similar to the Buchla 100 'keyboard' used for firing envelops to control the VCA's for the tape inputs and the like - certainly gives me some ideas in that regard...

Also useful for modulation, as you have shown, and switching - but less useful for pitched playing (on those 3 keys) - but that's what the other 8 keys are for.

Now I've just got to get my hands on one... screaming goo yo

Thanks! My pleasure! I think the 216 was a step along the way to the 223e. You can designate any pads on the 223e to do anything, the 216 just separated functions a bit. I like that you could have 8 "notes" or 8 "sound events" on the right hand side which then can be shaped in real time with the 3 pads on the left hand side:

w00t
Cobramatic
vgermuse wrote:

Thanks! My pleasure! I think the 216 was a step along the way to the 223e. You can designate any pads on the 223e to do anything, the 216 just separated functions a bit. I like that you could have 8 "notes" or 8 "sound events" on the right hand side which then can be shaped in real time with the 3 pads on the left hand side:

Another great demo Todd applause
Have to agree with you - the 223e obviously gives maximum flexibility but this 216 looks ideal to work with a 208 as an alternative to the 218 -and has the added advantage that it would free up a panel for another 200 (or even 100) series module in the case (with a little DIY'ing to get it powered inside the Easel of course!).
seeasound
Can someone let me know where I can get one of the clones or kits?
flabby
I'd like to get my hands on a built one too.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Page 1 of 1