The Definitive Connecting Power Thread

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord

ndkent
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ndkent » Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:00 am

re- the key being talked about that is a candidate for filing- It's worth a try to swap the synth and power bus ends of the cable - I'm saying remove the module end too and plug what you were plugging into the the bus into the module.

**do check very carefully to maintain that your -12v is where it should be**

I've had this work out just fine but I would not recommend a situation where this works but the red stripe is now the wrong way - why? - because you might forget when you move modules.

As for getting a new cable. It's kind of ridiculous to buy an unkeyed cable - which I've never seen as far as I can recall - but I think it's realistic though annoying to have to replace a cable that is not keyed correctly for your shrouded bus board

Stinktier86
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Stinktier86 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:42 pm

...ignore this post...

animalman
Common Wiggler

Post by animalman » Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:48 pm

Prolly a stupid question, but can't find info anywhere...
why the connectors have 2 rows of pins and 3 ground pairs?
Wouldn't it be enuff with just one row of 3 pins (+12/gnd/-12) and be done with it?
Is there some greater scheme i dont see?
thanks & Peace

ghrobbing_tristle
Common Wiggler

Post by ghrobbing_tristle » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:21 am

Hey guys!

Long time reader, first time poster (I'll introduce myself a little more formally elsewhere in the Euro thread).

I just purchased a A-100 LC6 case, and threw in a DPO (first module!) last week; I'll be putting in a Maths tomorrow - can't wait! Everything has been working just fine after two weeks of use, but I have one total noob question: on both rails, the -12 and +12 lights come on, but the 5V light stays dim. Is this completely normal?

Just want to get my ducks in a row before I start building further :)

khakifridge
Veteran Wiggler

Post by khakifridge » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:53 am

As I understand from the Doepfer website, you only get the +/-12V rails. If you need 5V, then you should add the "A-100AD5" 5V adaptor thingy (or something similar).

Soundifferent
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Soundifferent » Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:03 pm

Where is the 5V led?
horizontalpitch - A blogzine about eurorack modular synthesizers and music
Soundcloud - Call me eS
My eurorack on Modulargrid

ghrobbing_tristle
Common Wiggler

Post by ghrobbing_tristle » Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:08 pm

Soundifferent --

I'm sorry - I'd post a picture if I was at home right now. Basically, I'm referring to the LEDs on the far right of the rails, just near the supply. The -12 and +12 light up red.

mick
Common Wiggler

Post by mick » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:57 am

So, my Doepfer case is ready to be picked up, my first modules are waiting at home.

Now for the scary part... putting the modules in!

To be honest I dont really see a problem here, just paying attention on the module to see where -12V goes, and then follow the cable to see you put it right on the powerboard too.
For modules that dont have a clear marking, I can easily ask in the topics of those modules here.

But how to do it? Should I plug everything in, and then turn it on. Or is it better (though a lot slower) to plug a module in, turn the system on, turn the system off, build in the next module and turn the system on again etc (but then I would have to disconnect the previous modules again, right?)

Would love to hear what you guys think/how you guys do it.

Soundifferent
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Soundifferent » Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:04 pm

I always connected everything, double-checked it...then checked again for proper connection! :hihi:
horizontalpitch - A blogzine about eurorack modular synthesizers and music
Soundcloud - Call me eS
My eurorack on Modulargrid

KrisM
Common Wiggler

Post by KrisM » Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:20 pm

the Maths I bought from someone here came with a cable with the triangle on one end not by the red wire. The other one was by the triangle. But I figured as long as everything lined up and the cable wasn't twisted along its length, and I lined up the red wire to my power board and the module's -12V marking...

All the same, it was a bit of a butthole puckerer the first time I powered the system on :hihi:

But I didn't fry anything thanks to this thread and got to wiggling :nana:
Meh

mick
Common Wiggler

Post by mick » Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:54 am

Well, that was as easy as 1-2-3. You just need to use your eyes and logic :)

Heikki
1-Post Wiggler

Post by Heikki » Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:13 pm

Hi Guys!

First post...Haven't had the need to post yet because there's already so much good info around here! So, Thanks for that!

I have nearly filled my 9U Doepfer case and have never had any problems with connecting my modules because of all the fantastic info here. I am sure my problem has come up several times, but I am really scared of damaging something and really just need a simple answer to this.

I recently bought a Pittsburgh Modular Mix Mult module. This is the first module i have problems with connecting. The triangles are not aligned at the different ends of the cable. The bus board end has the triangle normally at the bottom next to the red line (goes to -12v). On the module end the triangle is at the top (not next to red line) and goes to +V as labeled on the module (I assume this is +12v).

What should I do? I understand nothing of electronics and i am surprised i got this far without any similar problems with any of my previous modules... Should I contact Pittsburgh modular or is there a simple fix to this?

Sorry if my explanation is not that great and thanks for all the help!

Heikki

ghrobbing_tristle
Common Wiggler

Post by ghrobbing_tristle » Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:43 am

http://cl.ly/image/1d1j0t0R0W3y

This is a supremely stupid question, but I need to triple-check this stuff before I make a fool of myself. There's money on the table ;)

Regarding the photo I linked to above - I'm assuming here that the end marked 'RED' on the back of the Make Noise Wogglebug is the -12 volt end. I checked the manual, but the photo was missing. Again, dumb - but I won't have a panic attack when I'm plugging this in tonight with your help!

:sadbanana:

Thanks!

Eichburger
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Eichburger » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:09 am

Deleted

wavefold
sonic lad

Post by wavefold » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:02 pm

probably a dumb question, maybe a little bit offtopic but... is it safe to buy used power supplies? are those still relayable? :hmm:
ghost stories and drum breaks

SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/wavefold

imabluerobot
Common Wiggler

Post by imabluerobot » Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:21 pm

Dumb question: What happens if you accidentally exceed the capacities for one of the rails? Can this fry modules? People seem to be using a single uZeus for 6u 104 hp skiffs (the same size as mine) but I'm also planning on getting several hungry digital modules so I'm not sure if it'll be enough.
This is so fun!

L.C.O.
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by L.C.O. » Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:19 pm

Can anyone tell me, what is the proper orientation for plugging the ribbon cable into the Nano 12 power? The -12 does not seem tobe labeled on the board... Should the red stripe go on the side where the LEDs are located, or on the side where it says "J2" "J1"?
Thank you!

jeramypatraw
1-Post Wiggler

remote jamming device

Post by jeramypatraw » Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:07 am

Looking for an power jammer of multiple functions? How about trying this remote jamming device? they works with really high efficiency and are selling at good price now, with the high-tech manufaturing, signal jamming will be accomplished without transmission loss, ang they work with good performance in various relative activities, if youy are looking for one, hope this will help!

C14ru5
Wiggling with Experience

Post by C14ru5 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:25 pm

Gotharman CS Filter. This thing is ugly. It needed more than a dozen rinsing passes with alcohol and q-tips before the cigarette soot (and stench) was cleaned away acceptably. And the power headers give me no immediate hint about where the red stripe should go.

If I use this hint from earlier in the thread:
Zenn wrote:It's common for PCB designs to have al the 6 GND pins connected to eachother.
...it would seem like -12V should be on the corner closest to the big capacitors.

EDIT: I took two more pictures at an angle now, and it actually looks as if the 3x2 pins closest to the capacitors, are not connected to anything. This would reverse my initial conclusion!

Can anyone confirm?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

fusionid
Common Wiggler

Post by fusionid » Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:40 am

:confused:

oh man oh man. Sniff test. If anything burns you put it in the wrong way :(

Joe.
Wired for sound

Post by Joe. » Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:58 am

Pretty sure that's the '- Voltage indicator'

C14ru5
Wiggling with Experience

Post by C14ru5 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:24 am

Yes, and I'm getting increasingly confident that the '1' marking also indicates -12V, just like many other boards pictured in this thread have been marked 'JP1' or 'SV1' at the -12V end.

I think I'll try connecting it tonight and see what happens, I feel about 90% certain about the correct orientation now, and if I'm wrong, at least I'll learn what happens when I connect something wrong.

gotharman
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gotharman » Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:55 am

Yes, the "1" indicates -12V. Sorry about the poor indication. I'll try to make it better...

C14ru5
Wiggling with Experience

Post by C14ru5 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:18 am

No harm done! Thanks for replying here :tu:

hocustotem
Common Wiggler

Post by hocustotem » Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:09 am

there are two videos embedded in the second post in this thread (by kent).

the second video is now listed as "private" by youtube and contains no title or description.

can anyone repost?

thanks to all for consolidating this information, it is very helpful.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”