The Definitive Connecting Power Thread

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord

dan_k
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: The Definitive Connecting Power Thread

Post by dan_k » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:46 am

construct09 wrote:I,m confused... If I get a module that requires +5/-5, I have to dedicate that whole busboard to modules with similiar power requirements?? Is there a list of suppliers/modules that do not adhere to the +12/-12 in euro? ...Idon,t think I want them... :despair:
Some modules require +5V in addition to +/- 12V.

Check this recent thread and it will hopefully explain everything:
viewtopic.php?t=41879

construct09
Sine me up

Post by construct09 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:40 am

dan_k wrote:
construct09 wrote:I,m confused... If I get a module that requires +5/-5, I have to dedicate that whole busboard to modules with similiar power requirements?? Is there a list of suppliers/modules that do not adhere to the +12/-12 in euro? ...Idon,t think I want them... :despair:
Some modules require +5V in addition to +/- 12V.

Check this recent thread and it will hopefully explain everything:
viewtopic.php?t=41879
sorry...still don,t get it... if I put a regulator on a busboard to power 1 module that requires the additional +5, I can,t run modues that dont require the +5 on that same busboard?... they will be damaged?

sandyb

Post by sandyb » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:44 am

construct09

you can run any modules on the busboard that has the 5v regulator. ones that don't need the 5v are not affected in any way.

construct09
Sine me up

Post by construct09 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:53 am

fuck...thats a relief
thankyou sandyb :tu:

hollowman
blind rhinoceros

Post by hollowman » Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:35 am

Stickies like this make me feel so good to have found this forum.
It makes silly things easy. :guinness:
I wanted to add a 5v adapter for a Asol module, unsure about how it would affect my other modules on the same bus board, remember to check here - and there was the answer!! :tu:
Beautiful broken machine.

hawklord2112 wrote:
then again my first two modules were a vca and PLL, wth do i know?

construct09
Sine me up

Post by construct09 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:58 pm

Can someone direct me to a thread regarding powering the Asys modules from a doepfer busboard? I have the correct cable but I,m still not clear on the orientation of the stripe...
Also, do Asys modules require the additional +5?
cheers.....

EDIT: O.K i watched the seond video which makes it clear

Drumdrumdrumdrum
What she said

Post by Drumdrumdrumdrum » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:01 am

Here is a link to the Tip Top active buss board manual:

http://www.analoguehaven.com/tiptopaudi ... manual.pdf
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats."
- Author, Albert Schweitzer.

"Modular synths can take your ego out of the equation which, in music, is a blessing" - Jeremy Greenspan

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/glennkingsleymortimer

withakay
Wiggling with Experience

Case won't power up :(

Post by withakay » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:50 pm

I just switched on my case to have a wiggle and it is dead :(

The last module I added was a CV Tools, I put it in the case but I don't remember if I have powered it up since then.

The cable was connected as per the manual.

Last time I calculated my power usage I was at less than half, since then I have added a Cyclebox (which was working fine) and the then CV Tools, now nothing. I really wish I could remember if I have power up with the CV Tools or not. I don't *think* I had.

I have a Doepfer LC-9, any advice on how to trouble shoot.
I have checked the mains lead...

:huh:

withakay
Wiggling with Experience

Post by withakay » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:10 pm

The fuse in the rear power connector has blown. Ho hum.

causticlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by causticlogic » Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:56 am

what about +12V vs -12V power supplies? would there be any difference in cabling the modules to the busboard provided the supply is hooked up to the busboard correctly?
my guess is no, but i've been known to have been wrong once...or twice...or :cough:1783timesorso:cough:.

Zenn
Hired Geek

Post by Zenn » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:13 pm

milkyjoe wrote:hmmm, Ok, so just out of frustrated curiosity,

how is one to know where the -12 is on the headers on the modules pcb when there are absolutely no markings on the pcb to signify (or any info on "da "internet" ?
Just to have the picture again, the connector:
oo| GATE
oo| CV
oo| +5V
oo| +12V
oo| GND
oo| GND
oo| GND
oo| -12V

GATE/CV are not always used, so if you have any unconnected 4 pins on one side, you know what side is 'up'. Please also do test 2:

It's common for PCB designs to have al the 6 GND pins connected to eachother. Also, its very common for PCBs to have very fat GND paths, so it's quite easy to see what points from the connector are supposed to be GND.

bg1979
Common Wiggler

Post by bg1979 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:05 pm

moved question, thx.

wbkennedy1
Common Wiggler

Post by wbkennedy1 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:14 pm

Is it possible that my Bubblesound SEM module with keyed power cable has been keyed on the wrong side? I plug it into my keyed flying bus boards of my uzeus and the red stripes don't line up. And ya know since both are keyed, I can't reverse the ay they plug. Ok no problem I said, this forum said never to trust the red stripes, so I turned it on and tried to connect it to patch ithe +12 and the +5 light on the uzeus module went off and I got some strange noises when I plugged in headphones...I'm very new to this so any help would be appreciatted greatly! I guess I could cut the keyed part off with a knife so I could line up the red stripes..

onohobo
Wave Slider

Post by onohobo » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:32 pm

Thanks for this topic. I just installed my first eurorack and found the information very helpful.

PaulLawler
Learning to Wiggle

AS-Doepfer Red Stripe.

Post by PaulLawler » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:02 am

Hi,

Apologies as I'm sure it must have been covered but I need to make 100% of a connection.

I want to connect an Analogue Systems module to a Doepfer rack, and the cable I was sent for it is not quite what I ordered, however it looks as though they sent me a cable which at one end plugs directly into the Doepfer bus, and at the other end plugs directly into the module with a 16 pin socket.

The Red stripe on the cable has 0v written at the top which matches the AS module, with -12v at the bottom.

Which way does the red stripe need to be when I put it into the Doepfer, top or bottom ?

many thanks

Paul

DiogoMagalhães
Common Wiggler

Post by DiogoMagalhães » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:26 am

hey!

i don't see the little triangle it was talked about in this thread..without this information how can i be sure? should i connect it with the red stripe without questioning if it's bad manufactured ? i'm a bit lost here

flabby
Veteran Wiggler

Post by flabby » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:50 pm

^+1

Has anyone used Acidlab POW? There's no indication as to which end is +12 and which is -12.

flabby
Veteran Wiggler

Post by flabby » Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:51 pm

Well I spoke to Klaus and he said: "the lowest two pins are -12V, then there are three 2xpins ground and then +12V, same as the doepfer."

So that's that confirmed if anyone is wondering!

Jason Brock
just visiting

Post by Jason Brock » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:36 pm

spbaker wrote:NEVER TRUST A RIBBON CABLE! NEVER TRUST THE RED STRIPE
Best advice for sure. The first thing I look for is to see if the manufacturer labeled -12v on the circuit board, but unfortunately there are quite a few who don't put it on there.

Here's a good example. I received a brand new Cwejman MMF-1 today from Big City Music. It shipped with the ribbon cable loose in the box, so I had to figure out which way to connect it to the module. But as seen below, the keyed connectors are facing opposite directions on the cable. That means it will fit into the back of the module flipped either way - red stripe up, or red stripe down. It is possible to connect it properly to your bus board either way, as long as you know which pins on the module are -12v. But that isn't marked on the Cwejman module.

jafbox
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jafbox » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:28 pm

Jason Brock wrote:
spbaker wrote:NEVER TRUST A RIBBON CABLE! NEVER TRUST THE RED STRIPE
Best advice for sure. The first thing I look for is to see if the manufacturer labeled -12v on the circuit board, but unfortunately there are quite a few who don't put it on there.

Here's a good example. I received a brand new Cwejman MMF-1 today from Big City Music. It shipped with the ribbon cable loose in the box, so I had to figure out which way to connect it to the module. But as seen below, the keyed connectors are facing opposite directions on the cable. That means it will fit into the back of the module flipped either way - red stripe up, or red stripe down. It is possible to connect it properly to your bus board either way, as long as you know which pins on the module are -12v. But that isn't marked on the Cwejman module.

hi jason, im in the exact same boat right now... which way is correct the module? red stripe up or down? thanks!!

Jason Brock
just visiting

Post by Jason Brock » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:43 pm

jafbox wrote:hi jason, im in the exact same boat right now... which way is correct the module? red stripe up or down? thanks!!
That's the thing - the red stripe doesn't matter. That wire is no different than the other wires.
The important thing is to find -12v on the module. In this case, it is at the bottom (closest to the edge). It's not written on there anywhere, but I just know because I've had other Cwejman modules.

If I connected the cable to the module as seen in the LEFT picture, I would plug the other end into my bus board with the red stripe UP.
If I connected the cable to the module as seen in the RIGHT picture, I would plug the other end into my bus board with the red stripe DOWN (because it is now carrying the -12v bus).

I fixed the picture to show -12v:

voidshell
Common Wiggler

Post by voidshell » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:09 pm

Does anyone know how the Plan B modules power up?

I have a model 31 buffered Mult.

The board says Red Stripe on one side but it doesn't say whether that is + or - 12v.

Any help please :guinness:

utamaru
Common Wiggler

Post by utamaru » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:54 am

if it specifically says red stripe then that's your -12
2. Second step is to identify on your module where -12v is on the PCB. This will usually be marked with -12v, "red stripe" or some other variation. If there is nothing there maybe post a question in this thread and someone will answer.

Tifaret
Common Wiggler

Post by Tifaret » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:21 pm

wbkennedy1 wrote:Is it possible that my Bubblesound SEM module with keyed power cable has been keyed on the wrong side? I plug it into my keyed flying bus boards of my uzeus and the red stripes don't line up. And ya know since both are keyed, I can't reverse the ay they plug. Ok no problem I said, this forum said never to trust the red stripes, so I turned it on and tried to connect it to patch ithe +12 and the +5 light on the uzeus module went off and I got some strange noises when I plugged in headphones...I'm very new to this so any help would be appreciatted greatly! I guess I could cut the keyed part off with a knife so I could line up the red stripes..
Did anyone ever answer this? I have the exact same problem with mine, hoping I didn't blow the module :despair:

wbkennedy1
Common Wiggler

Post by wbkennedy1 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:37 pm

Hey Tifaret,,

so i did solve this problem!
my power cable was connected backwards to the module. so I removed the header from the pcb and reversed it and then connected it to my flying bus boards of the uzeus.
the module was alright! hope this helps!

Return to “Eurorack Modules”