MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

LEVIT8 Module - Design Updates - Pre-order
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author LEVIT8 Module - Design Updates - Pre-order
Rick Burnett
UPDATE:

After a lot of discussion with a lot of different people, I wanted to update the progress of this project. Whether or not the kickstarter is successful, I will be doing a run of 50 modules. I have secured enough pre-orders outside of Kickstarter to hit the limit I need to make this happen.

HOWEVER, the good news is that after a lot of feedback, as I mentioned below, and from some other sources, I've gone through and made quite a few changes to the design based on requests. The changes are:

(1) 4 of the input channels now have an inversion switch. This will invert the DC offset OR the incoming signal.

(2) All 8 inputs have a bicolor LED (red/blue) to indicate the nature of the incoming signal. The resistance values are empirically derived so the LEDs do not blind you.

(3) Knobless shafts are replaced with d-shaft (flatted) potentiometers with a knob. I have 2 sources that I am in the process of evaluating to see which knob I like best. Both are black aluminum outside with knurling to assist grip and an indicator line. Both of the knobs I am looking at are 9.5mm and 10.0mm respectively. Once I make a decision, I will post up some pictures.

(4) The panel graphics have been altered to match more closely with the GateStorm design, which is also coming out soon. I think the graphics look much cleaner and it will match the line of both ET and SSF modules we have planned.

I've also updated the specs below from the original post.

I wanted to have the prototype running before the holidays, however, all the parts have not arrived. I have cut a new prototype faceplate, and the protype boards have come in. In addition, I've attached the updated panel graphics.

Levit8 is a 10hp high density utility module designed to use as little space as possible while providing a whole host of useful capabilities. Those features include:

* 8 channels with bi-color input LED indicator.

* Individual channels can attenuate or add up to ~2x gain.

* inputs normalized to DC voltage when no input attached, provide 0 to 10v that can be used as a voltage offset in mix modes, or as a macro knob like adjustment for multiple destinations. 4 of the input channels can be inverted if needed.

* Channel 4 can be configured through the front panel to be a 4 -> 1 mix of channels 1-4. Channel 1-3 continue to output their respective signals.

* Channel 8 can be configured through the front panel to be either a 4 -> 1 mix of channels 5-8 or if an 8 -> 1 mix of all the channels depending on channel 4's switch setting. Again, channels 5-7 continue to output their respective signals.

* All outputs are fully buffered.

* Skiff friendly.

* High quality black aluminum knobs.

If you have any questions, let me know! If you want to get in on the 50 pre-orders, let me know here or in private message. Price will be $175 shipped to continental US. For outside of US, let me know and I can figure out the additional shipping charges.

I will no longer be offering the other davies style knobs listed in the kickstarter. However, the set of 8 6-inch cables is still available. The price is now $8 for 8 on those.

Thanks and have a happy holiday!

Rick

Rick Burnett
Alright, thanks to Chris Meyer's suggestions, and some circuit work, I will announce in an update the following changes:

1) 4 channels will have an invert switch, this will invert either the incoming signal OR the DC in case you are using it as an offset.

2) All channels will have a bicolored level indicator. These will be on the input side and after the attenuate/gain stage. This will allow you to see what each input is doing. Colors are Red/Blue. (An the blue will NOT be blinding). This will sit to the left of the potentiometer as well)

A prototype will be ordered in a few days so I can have it running before the end of the kickstarter.

Also, the price AND size will remain unchanged.
Rick Burnett
Original post changed with all updated details.
Yppah
Hi Rick I know I'm pretty late on this, but are you still taking preorders?
Rick Burnett
Yppah wrote:
Hi Rick I know I'm pretty late on this, but are you still taking preorders?

The module should be available at the end of the month from Control in NYC. I'm also seeing if I can get it to Analogue Haven as well! smile

So no, not too late to get in on getting one! smile
Felnyrii
Sadly, no room for this... When I expand past 6U I'm including this guy in it. This is fun!
Rick Burnett
Felnyrii wrote:
Sadly, no room for this... When I expand past 6U I'm including this guy in it. This is fun!

Haha, I hear you, that's why I designed this to be what I refer to as a high density module, a lot of function in a small space, because my case just keeps growing out of control! smile
z3r01
Hi Rick Burnett, if I may ask, are the outputs normalised to the mix output?

For example, if I would like to use Ch. 3 & 4 as a mixer (taking the mix output from Ch. 4), while using Ch. 1 & 2 as attenuators for my CV signal (Ch. 1 & 2 straight out to modulation target parameter), would the signals from Ch. 1 & 2 still appear at the Ch. 4 mix output?

Thanks in advance! thumbs up
Rick Burnett
z3r01 wrote:

For example, if I would like to use Ch. 3 & 4 as a mixer (taking the mix output from Ch. 4), while using Ch. 1 & 2 as attenuators for my CV signal (Ch. 1 & 2 straight out to modulation target parameter), would the signals from Ch. 1 & 2 still appear at the Ch. 4 mix output?

Once you set CH4 as a mixer, it always has 1,2,3 and 4. 1,2 and 3 can still be used straight through, but plugging a cable in does not break any sort of normalization.

I thought about adding that capability, but I found I enjoyed having a sum of all 4 and them going out at the same time in my experimentations with modulation.
z3r01
Rick Burnett wrote:
z3r01 wrote:

Once you set CH4 as a mixer, it always has 1,2,3 and 4. 1,2 and 3 can still be used straight through, but plugging a cable in does not break any sort of normalization.

I thought about adding that capability, but I found I enjoyed having a sum of all 4 and them going out at the same time in my experimentations with modulation.

Ok, got it. Thanks for the info! thumbs up
Rick Burnett
z3r01 wrote:
Rick Burnett wrote:
z3r01 wrote:

Ok, got it. Thanks for the info! thumbs up

No problem! smile
tthogs
Updates on availability or where i can buy this from? I would love to grab this module.
Rick Burnett
They are back from the factory. They should be available at Control Mod VERY soon. smile Will update here when I ship out to them.
sihiL
Hey there,

Just found out about this module, and I'd really like to have one! Any idea on when (or if) they will be available in Europe?
insula
do you have plan to sell also a DIY pcb + panel?

we're not worthy
Rick Burnett
I'm getting in contact with a few european distributors right now as seeing about getting this over there. I've been getting people asking me about availability there all week. smile

As for a DIY, no, this one is manufactured only.
Footkerchief
This looks very cool. Anybody gotten their hands on one yet? Are there photos of the actual module (vs. the rendering)?
Rick Burnett
Footkerchief wrote:
This looks very cool. Anybody gotten their hands on one yet? Are there photos of the actual module (vs. the rendering)?

Control has them for sale right now, they have actual images on their site:

http://www.ctrl-mod.com/collections/recent-arrivals/products/levit8

I shipped some out to Analogue Haven Monday so they will have some soon.

smile
maudibe
Looks incredible for anyone having a largish module drum module set-up. Mmmmmm smile
Footkerchief
Anyone have feedback on the ergonomics?
dinesh23
In the short time I have had the Levit8 (err x3!) - they have become indispensable. I have spent many hours with them and they have handled everything my system can throw at them.

I’m using them as a final output to DAW, a sub-mix for audio (drums etc), filter and Waveform mixing, LFOs and Envelopes. I have been finding it extremely useful for balancing audio levels between modules from different manufacturers. (loud to soft, soft to loud).

I’ve used a single Levit8 as 2x4 channels. Utilising it for DC and Audio signals at the same time - works without issue.

There is no noise or bleed. It does everything it says in the description perfectly. Off is off and the LEDs allowing one to see signal passing through is really useful for setting up signals before introducing them in to a patch.

The pots are different to any others I have seen around. They are skinnier than Davies. Easy to grip and turn without knocking neighbouring channels.

Flicking the invert switch when fully patched with Stackables is tricky (pinky finger required!). Personally I haven’t found it an issue to unplug and flick it - It’s not something I’m constantly switching within a patch.

The throw of the pot is oriented as per the visual on the panel, slightly differently to what I am used to - mid patch I’m not looking at it anyway - just ears and the LEDs as guide.

BTW The Panel looks great too.

… Very happy customer right here! SlayerBadger!
Footkerchief
Got a chance to play with one of these recently. The knobs are the wobbliest-feeling I've ever felt on a module.
Torn n Frayed
I have a new one from Perfect Circuit and I can report the pots are rock solid on mine.

EDIT; after some use yeah I can say they're wobbly, likely due to the small shaft size of them.
Torn n Frayed
geremyf
Hmm. I was thinking about ordering one of these. Are we talking unstable wobble? Pots are coming un-soldered wobble? Difficult to dial I an exact value wobble? Or just kind of aesthetically displeasing but still secure wobble? So I guess the pots are too small to be bolted to the panel.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2