MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

random*source love
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next [all]
Author random*source love
paterursus
For the most part, modules will simply clip an overvoltage or ignore a negative input where only positive is expected. Navs' point is the one I was trying to make above - the bigger issue is that you might not get the modulation range you expect. You might have an input that expects 0V to +10V, and you are feeding it a 0V to +5V source. Or the other way around, and your input clips or saturates easily. Damage isn't the sort of thing I'd generally worry about.
Sleipnir
Just to bring it back around to the love:

Added a 2nd DUSG, because awesome. Once I finish building my Klee, (the space with the Mobius filler), I dare say this system will be “done” (famous last words).

As far as voltages, I haven’t had any issues besides needing to tone down raw VCO power when going into the TWM - and helpfully that module has the top section to do just that.
The DUSG fully opens (at least enough for me) the Malekko VCA, the bubblesound QVCA, and the Intellijel VCA. If I need to overload them, I flip to Exp response.
Also, I can count on one finger the times I’ve put any modulation 100%, because it sounds like shit. This is why we have attenuators & mixers. meh
FatRocky
it would be awesome if we can get the info about voltage levels and tolerances for all Random Source euro Serge line of modules. I understand some believe Serge is all about not expecting but a bit of knowledge on voltage levels could make things a bit better IMHO

Thanks all for the info thumbs up
pugix
I finished building a DUSG.

http://pugix.com/synth/randomsource-serge-dusg/

Does anybody know what that S/E header might be for?
paterursus
pugix wrote:
I finished building a DUSG.

http://pugix.com/synth/randomsource-serge-dusg/

Does anybody know what that S/E header might be for?

That's interesting. I have a 2016 DUSG I just got around to building a couple of weeks ago. It doesn't have those header pins, so they must have added them for 2017.
Biom
Navs wrote:
my point about Random Source not adjusting the tolerances for, for example, the VCFQ, means that people might not be getting the experience they were expecting.

Most importantly RS is the most "original" or "official" serge today. Their aim was not to satisfy euro market with another amazing filter, but to make this beautiful instrument (not fancy modules) more affordable and updated with newer technology. I doubt people would go euro-serge if the sound is different from the 4u equivalent.

Euro format has lots of good points and, most importantly, every cat and dog has a case of euro nowadays. So what you can do is to fill your amazing existing Elite case with RS and throw in a couple of distinguished euro designs (e.g. PEG, Turing Machine). Regarding the fact that you own already a good euro case and some modules to fund the RS euro-animal it looks really tempting to dive into serge world. That's the only point in a euro-serge to me. Otherwise, 4u can't be beaten.
cloudleft
User of the SEQ8 XL... is there any kind of "priority" between the different modes of address?

Like let's say you've got some PWM going into Up/Down, plus some self patched Stage Selection coming from certain Stage Gate Outputs, AND you're slamming those manual stage select buttons. What happens?

If the buttons have top priority, can you hold a button and thereby 'freeze' the sequence, bypassing the other modes of address?
Avjr
cloudleft wrote:
If the buttons have top priority, can you hold a button and thereby 'freeze' the sequence, bypassing the other modes of address?

I have the 4U equivalent, the Sequencer/Programmer and if i press and hold a button the sequence freezes on that note until you let go of the push button.
the bad producer
Biom wrote:
...Most importantly RS is the most "original" or "official" serge today....

This is not true, there is also Elby with the official (and arguably more original) EuroSerge line... They are also a lot more affordable...

Serge signal levels tend to be 0-5V, +/- 2.5V, that sort of thing, higher and they tend to clip (the audio that is). One can trim the DUSG to higher output level at the expense of a lower maximum frequency.
cloudleft
Avjr wrote:

I have the 4U equivalent, the Sequencer/Programmer and if i press and hold a button the sequence freezes on that note until you let go of the push button.

Cool, seems like it's a pretty expressive instrument, then!
suthnear
I love love love the VCFS
cloudleft
I picked up the SEQ8 (euro version) and I'm super happy with it. It's large enough and the buttons are spaced widely enough that it really can work like a keyboard with room for two hands to move.

Deceptively simple, quite deep actually, and the routing options are great. It's also very WYSIWYG which I like.
bodydouble
Troubleshooting question: I moved my modules to a new studio-style case with 4 Synthrotek boards, and everything seems to be working perfectly except my poor VCFQ.

It's definitely plugged in the right direction, so I don't think burnout happened because of that.

There are short moments where sound comes through, but then it fades away. I bought it used DIYed, and had been working fine for about a month beforehand, so just wondering if anyone had experienced something like this, and see if it might be an easy fix.
TreB
Wanna check out the wave multipliers & triple waveshapers
TreB
Anybody any thoughts or experience how the wave multipliers and triple waveshapers compare to the TipTop Audio fold processor?
Not feature-wise but plain folding sound/character ...
TreB
Gotta get that RES EQ too
breadman
http://randomsource.net/

How about Serge himself being named CIO? To me Ralf and co are running the game right now. So exciting!
shanebroderick
Very Exciting that Serge himself has joined the Random Source team.
FatRocky
cool
cloudleft
I had this idea to use the TWS in 2-operator circular FM patches to shape the waves before feeding them back into one another's FM inputs. I've enjoyed using the DUSG for a kind of lo-fi integration/LPF vibe in this context, but wonder about the TWS. I don't have a TWS or a way to try this out, so I'm wondering if anyone else has tried something similar?
FatRocky
R*S love love
luketeaford
FatRocky wrote:
R*S love love

Beautiful -- I thought you were going 4U Serge?
FatRocky
luketeaford wrote:
FatRocky wrote:
R*S love love

Beautiful -- I thought you were going 4U Serge?

Yes , it´s a good bye baby picture. I´m taking it to a friend´s studio tomorrow- waah
luketeaford
Nice! I'm sure your friend will have a great time with it!
shanebroderick
I'm hoping to put in an order to Patch Point for the Equal Power Stereo Mixer for later this week.... I havent seen much feedback on the module but really miss the sound of my STS VCA's.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next [all]
Page 7 of 9