random*source love

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord

Rudloe
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Rudloe » Thu May 09, 2019 3:03 pm

If anyone is at Superbooth, try and find out what's coming next in Euro... i'd love to know 8-) 8-) 8-)

RowanH
Common Wiggler

Post by RowanH » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:15 pm

Just bought a bigger case which has left me with an intellijel 4u 104hp case going spare. Already have the NTO and the 1u, would like to use this as its owns system for the most part, maybe with some external sequencing. Those with more serge experience, is this viable as a self contained synth? Anything you would change?

stickmann
Wiggling with Experience

Post by stickmann » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:33 pm

RowanH wrote:Just bought a bigger case which has left me with an intellijel 4u 104hp case going spare. Already have the NTO and the 1u, would like to use this as its owns system for the most part, maybe with some external sequencing. Those with more serge experience, is this viable as a self contained synth? Anything you would change?
This would be an amazing self contained synth. Do it, I love my R*S EuroSerge system so much which is your plan plus another DUSG, SEQ8XL, and the Mixer / CV Pro module.

cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cptnal » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:33 am

I had similar ideas myself, and if I was doing it for real my system would look much like yours.

What I discovered though is that "Serge" is more an approach than a set of modules. I have much of the functionality already - it's just that the design of the Serge modules channels your thinking in a different way. So I've been reading about the modules and how they're patched and trying to apply that to my own patching.

But hey, if you've got the wherewithal and you want to do it... do it! :cloud:

phineas
Common Wiggler

Post by phineas » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:38 am

Thats an excellent setup and you'll have lots of fun with it.
You could think about swapping the NTO for a ResEQ but that's a matter of personal taste I would say.
Any way it will be great!

RowanH
Common Wiggler

Post by RowanH » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:43 am

Thanks everyone. My route into modular synthesis was inspired back in 2005 by KFW's multiples album, which included a handful of Serge based pieces, so it's always had a certain romance. I like to divide the euro up into workable chunks rather than seeing it as one system and it was the idea of taking some of my serge inspired modules and doing this when I thought, actually, a small Euro serge makes sense and is less intimidating than it used to be (both in diy and synthesis sense).

stickmann
Wiggling with Experience

Post by stickmann » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:23 pm

For those that have used the Euro Triple Waveshaper+, are the input pots used to attenuate incoming signals or does it control the amount of waveshaping applied?

luketeaford
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by luketeaford » Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:06 pm

stickmann wrote:For those that have used the Euro Triple Waveshaper+, are the input pots used to attenuate incoming signals or does it control the amount of waveshaping applied?
I'll check tomorrow to confirm, but I am almost certain they are attenuators.

EDIT: they are attenuators. VC 1 seems to turn up the input to the TWS and VC 2 seems to turn it down.

windchill
Common Wiggler

Post by windchill » Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:31 pm

I've been working with Eurorack for some time and I've been through a lot of really good stuff: Make Noise, Verbos, Mannequins, Synthesis Technology, etc. After some years of experiment I thought I had the best set-up for me and my system had largely stabilised - but although it was a wonderful, powerful rack, which allowed me to produce some good music, I couldn't help feeling that there was something missing, I still couldn't quite get where I wanted to be.

That was until, on a whim, I got hold of a R*S VCM. Everything changed immediately. After experience with numerous wave folders and multipliers; the sound of the VCM was obviously special and it just clicked right away, especially with feedback patching. An R*S ResEQ quickly followed, which I discovered is full of magic. Then a DUSG, which was a revelation. It has an incredibly raw sound; electric. Then a VCFQ, which is simply amazing.Then a TWS+...

Now I'm going the whole way with an NTO, SSG, and another DUSG on the way, and plans for the rest. I've finally found what I was looking for, and I'm inspired.

The R*S modules are on the large side but much to my surprise this has only added to my inspiration. The layout of the modules is lovely with lots of room for stackcables and live tweaking. I hadn't realised how cramped my rack had got in the quest for power-to-hp ratio.

Sure, this is all certainly down to my predilections: a raw, electric, analogue sound, drones, noise, distortion, and loose, borderline atonal, long-form music (not to mention a near obsession with the music Jim O'Rourke is releasing on Steamroom), so I'm aware R*S Serge may not be for everyone - but it's certainly changed me, and I couldn't be happier.

As for the oft-repeated claim that Eurorack Serge is utterly pointless, and that anyone who wants Serge should go 4u (and Serge is only Serge if it's banana cables), that's simply not true for everybody. The R*S Euro range ends up being a fraction of the cost of 4u and allows me to combine Serge with all my existing Euro stuff. My Verbos, MN, Mannequins, etc, offer all sorts of other capabilities and sounds and (here's the key point) integrate perfectly with the R*S modules, give or take the odd bit of attenuation/amplification.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”