MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

random*source love
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next [all]
Author random*source love
Hr.Jansen
I have fallen for RS Serge too. Everything about them is perfect!
I have all the modules except the slope filter. I feel the Benjolin and Twinpeak is as made for living on planet Serge.

Here is a video of me trying to learn my modules. (before i got the NTO and TWS)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDhJW7p9Tf8&feature=youtu.be
luketeaford
I have the Wave Multipliers, SSG, VCFQ, and NCOM-- these are some of my favorite modules. They are excellent at drawing one away from the standard keyboard monosynth mindset. I plan on adding the NTO, VCFS, and RESEQ over the next year.

I am interested in the DUSG, but I don't know how much of an improvement it would be over Maths (which I have gotten to track pretty well in the lower range) and I love its smaller footprint and mixing abilities. Can anyone with DUSG experience think of other things I'm missing from that?

I'm using the Scan & Pan as my main VCAs with this-- has a thick warm sound when overdriven. The top channel of the Wave Mults can be a linear VCA, too. Don't overlook the "LPG" patch with Smooth side thumbs up
colossus
DUSG sounds worlds beyond Maths as a VCO. I can't comment on 1v/oct as that doesn't really concern me, but the quality of the audio range signal sounds superior. I haven't compared them on a scope so it may just be in my head. I find that its triangle sounds 'smoother.' Also, it's upper audio range is far beyond Maths. Other than that, I kinda miss the sharper exp slopes of Maths and Maths seems like it can go slower, though I haven't messed all that much with feeding neg CV into Rise/Fall. Overall, I'm happy that DUSG took the place of my Maths, largely for its audio-range uses.
lud
I could definitely use Maths and DSG in every patch. if I owned a DSG that is, no kits around now
Positive Modular Attitude
lud wrote:
I could definitely use Maths and DSG in every patch.

This is what I do. Both modules are essential to my patching, and I thought one would make the other obsolete at first - but I quickly discovered that they're quite different monsters! Get both people! grin
colossus
lud wrote:
I could definitely use Maths and DSG in every patch. if I owned a DSG that is, no kits around now

Both Modular Addict and Control have them. Do they not ship abroad?
lud
Thanks for the tip-off colossus. Will wait on more stock this side of the pond, extra taxes and shipping would increase the original price significantly
lud
Has anyone enquired about a new run of DSG to Random S?
erstlaub
I'm gassing quite hard on these at the moment, they just look so beautiful. I'm a little on the fence as the slightly expensive cost of the kits doesn't quite tally against my confidence with DIY to not end up with a smoking ruined pile of garbage and knocks it out of that comfort zone.

I've got a whole 'spare' 84hp that I'm currently fantasizing about being filled with a DUSG, SSG and maybe a filter or 2.
colossus
lud wrote:
Has anyone enquired about a new run of DSG to Random S?

I ask Steve at Thonk and he said DSG sometime mid June.

erstlaub wrote:
I'm gassing quite hard on these at the moment, they just look so beautiful. I'm a little on the fence as the slightly expensive cost of the kits doesn't quite tally against my confidence with DIY to not end up with a smoking ruined pile of garbage and knocks it out of that comfort zone.

I've got a whole 'spare' 84hp that I'm currently fantasizing about being filled with a DUSG, SSG and maybe a filter or 2.

The DSG and SSG --- and Waveshaper and Multiplier --- already have the SMD done so it's really just assembly at that point. The filters need to be fully populated. They're not that challenging of builds but the pads are pretty teeny so a fine tip and a steady hand are really helpful. I'd offer to build for you but someone on your side of the pond would likely be easier to deal with.
Does anybody know if it's possible to get the VCFS to self-oscillate?
listentoaheartbeat
Positive Modular Attitude wrote:

Yes, you can patch phase-inverted feedback from BAND to IN for self-oscillation.
cheliosheart
The VCFS is my favorite, I'm always using it.

The kits are fun builds and aren't difficult to DIY in my opinion especially with SMD already pre-built.

Love R*S so much I've already begun planning a 4u banana system with their modules.
listentoaheartbeat wrote:
Positive Modular Attitude wrote:

Yes, you can patch phase-inverted feedback from BAND to IN for self-oscillation.

WOW! Thanks so much for the tip! I instantly got the most consistent and hard hitting kicks I've coaxed out of my system yet! grin
Biom
FatRocky wrote:
where can i watch and listen to good NTO demos?

there are plenty of demos on youtube, have you checked them?
Apfelmann
came here to share the love!

Started a diy case with Random Source Serge Modules, currently consisting of: NTO, VCFS, DUSG, SSG, NCOM and gls should drop a TWS in the next hour

also in that case: Turing machine + Volts and Pulses and Radio music

Still to come: a second DUSG (happy to hear thonk will have them back again soon), VQVCF, maybe a second NTO
schwittersplayspop
I've built all of the R*S Euro modules (one of each) from Thonk kits.

There are definitely two classes of build difficulty with these modules. The modules are a mix of pre-soldered surface mount and through-hole work that you must do yourself.

All of them require you to build a front-panel board with jacks, pots, switches and headers to connect to a second board which houses the actual circuit.

This is where there is a bit of a difficulty split. Some of the modules are almost completely done with surface mount technology, and the boards you buy are completely pre-populated. I don't remember having to do surface mount work on any of them myself. These are the really easy R*S builds: you do the jack/pot/switch board, and headers to connect the pre-populated SMD board to it, and it's more or less done.

A few of them have boards that are heavier on through-hole components and these are ones where you have to do that soldering yourself. I did not find these complex builds but I got to them after having built a fair number of other modules.

I would say that the R*S instruction PDFs are good for a moderately experienced builder. As with all DIY, pay extremely close attention to the whole document, think every decision through, and even the through-hole ones will be fairly easy builds.

What I also found is that in places where R*S suggest different options for component quality or the odd component that's optional to install at all, that the Thonk kit had already made that decision for me, which was very helpful.
lud
Great news on the DSG restock, thanks for checking colossus!

Think I'm just going to add the DSG in Euro, then get a 4U case on the go.
At least that's the plan at the moment. Hoping to check out the NTO in real life soon, be good if they stocked assembled at London Modular etc.
I get it though smile
XAXAU
I´ve built 2x NTO, a VCM and a dual Wasp.

I recommend getting a flux pen for the (very few) SMT parts. I screwed up soldering a SMT opamp on the Wasp and had to rip it off of the board and solder in links instead and now the filter frequency moves whenever I wiggle the CV attenuators (original behaviour I think). No big deal.

Want to get 1-2 DUSG Mk2´s and a TWS+.

Thonk should have the boards and have the parts for the kits coming in right about now. I´ve talked to Ralf at R*S and Steve at Thonk!
paterursus
My music is fairly East Coast in style, but I have this persistent love of the R*S Serge stuff. So far I've built a TWS, a VCFS, and a VCFQ. I've just ordered a DUSG, and NTO and NCOM are next. I simply can't get enough of the unique timbres these modules can produce. Like others here I'll note the build quality, which is first rate.
I'll also give a shout out to R*S for keeping the Haible legacy going. Dual Wasp and Living VCOs are my first builds there, but there will be more.
1n
DUSG and Wave Multipliers (VCM) delivered today. Supplied by the amazing and helpful Dr Wiener. I've been saving up for over 10 months, and finally get to make some sounds.

Just over a year ago that I first heard a Serge system and then a Benjolin. And my sense of music changed significantly.

Only had a brief space to play on the DUSG plus Resonant Eq patched with Turing Machine. So far: tablas, pulsing beats, resonant metal strikes. Not new except to me, and I'm very happy.

I was intending to stop at 104hp...but it's not going to happen.

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/456842
FlangerMagazine
Have all the R*S Euro except the Res EQ, Slope Filter, and NTO.

Seconded on the "ergonomics" comment. A very satisfying experience utilizing these modules.
Just received two NTOs from Dr Wiener, and I'm stunned! I didn't know analog oscillators could be this stable, and every sound coming from them both vanilla or experimental is insanely beautiful!
VCFQ should arrive early next week... we're not worthy
Iridite
The VCM is in stock at Signal Sounds in the UK, more Serge modules to follow in the next few weeks:

http://www.signalsounds.com/product-p/170601310964023.htm
dmod
This shit makes me want to start learning DIY! love
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next [all]
Page 2 of 9