random*source love

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

Post Reply
User avatar
dmod
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1250
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:19 am
Location: Medford OR

Post by dmod » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:13 pm

Positive Modular Attitude wrote:Just received two NTOs from Dr Wiener, and I'm stunned! I didn't know analog oscillators could be this stable, and every sound coming from them both vanilla or experimental is insanely beautiful!
VCFQ should arrive early next week... :hail:
Did you have these built? I have wanted a Serge system forever.

ImNotDedYet
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 433
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:19 pm
Location: Denver, CO

Post by ImNotDedYet » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:42 pm

dmod wrote:This shit makes me want to start learning DIY! :love:
Some of their stuff has all the SMT stuff already soldered on. Basically you just need to solder the pots, jacks, etc. Pretty simple builds. Of course, these "kits" cost more.

User avatar
dmod
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1250
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:19 am
Location: Medford OR

Post by dmod » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:53 pm

ImNotDedYet wrote:
dmod wrote:This shit makes me want to start learning DIY! :love:
Some of their stuff has all the SMT stuff already soldered on. Basically you just need to solder the pots, jacks, etc. Pretty simple builds. Of course, these "kits" cost more.
Oh cool. If you could provide a link so I know ecactlt what to get that would be awesome! :tu:

Positive Modular Attitude
Common Wiggler
Posts: 62
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:37 am
Location: Stockholm

Post by Positive Modular Attitude » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:57 pm

dmod wrote:
Positive Modular Attitude wrote:Just received two NTOs from Dr Wiener, and I'm stunned! I didn't know analog oscillators could be this stable, and every sound coming from them both vanilla or experimental is insanely beautiful!
VCFQ should arrive early next week... :hail:
Did you have these built? I have wanted a Serge system forever.
Yup, I emailed him and a week later they were in my rack! He's highly recommended! :D

gordy_c
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon May 29, 2017 11:04 pm

Post by gordy_c » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:37 am

I just ordered a few of these modules from Thonk for my new Eurorack system. It was a bit of an impulse buy, as I'm just starting off, :eek:.

I have the TWS, VCFQ and NCOM on the way. Depending on how I go with these I hope to get the DUSG and maybe an NTO in the future.

Now to try and remember where I've put the soldering iron.
Hi!

Avjr

Post by Avjr » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:05 am

gordy_c wrote:I just ordered a few of these modules from Thonk for my new Eurorack system. It was a bit of an impulse buy, as I'm just starting off, :eek:.

I have the TWS, VCFQ and NCOM on the way. Depending on how I go with these I hope to get the DUSG and maybe an NTO in the future.

Now to try and remember where I've put the soldering iron.
You will def want DUSG. 8-)

ImNotDedYet
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 433
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:19 pm
Location: Denver, CO

Post by ImNotDedYet » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:22 am

dmod wrote:
ImNotDedYet wrote:
dmod wrote:This shit makes me want to start learning DIY! :love:
Some of their stuff has all the SMT stuff already soldered on. Basically you just need to solder the pots, jacks, etc. Pretty simple builds. Of course, these "kits" cost more.
Oh cool. If you could provide a link so I know ecactlt what to get that would be awesome! :tu:
http://randomsource.net/serge_euro

Look for the items that 1) you would want and 2) state they have the SMT components already mounted/installed/soldered.

User avatar
lud
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1191
Joined: Tue May 05, 2015 2:02 pm
Location: UK

Post by lud » Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:12 pm

Want a DSG kit!

User avatar
timoka
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1687
Joined: Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:43 pm

Post by timoka » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:26 am

why didn't i discover serge earlier... i am in love with all these modules, it is just like when i first had a cwejman module in front of me.
can't stop patching, love the sound, the functions, the concept of patch programming. perfect!

here's a semi random wonky dub, r*s modules for rhythm and sound, with cwejman help.

http://soundcloud.com/uzala/ncom

User avatar
drinkcorpsevomit
Common Wiggler
Posts: 123
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:55 pm
Location: Hell

Post by drinkcorpsevomit » Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:53 pm

timoka wrote: here's a semi random wonky dub, r*s modules for rhythm and sound, with cwejman help.

http://soundcloud.com/uzala/ncom
Thats just lovely. Some really classic tones in there. Buying certain kit really does give you access to certain sounds you cannot get any other way. Like buying an 808 clone only gets you 90% of the way to the 808 'soul'. There's really no way around it.

User avatar
listentoaheartbeat
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2595
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:42 am
Location: Berlin

Post by listentoaheartbeat » Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:05 pm

Great recording, timoka!

User avatar
timoka
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1687
Joined: Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:43 pm

Post by timoka » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:45 am

thanks @drinkcorpsevomit and @listentoaheartbeat,

i agree, serge modules have a distinguished sound. however unlike other brands i find it easier to shape the sound away from the "typical" territory.

Avjr

Post by Avjr » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:58 am

Having just ordered the VCFS i will have now all the R*S Serge modules except the N COM. Curiously i will have 10hp left on that case wich is what the N COM requires...

I have built a Serge oriented case so the N COM would be the obvious candidate to fill that space up but i still don't quite grasp what it does practically so can't tell if it will be useful for me.

Anyone care to share some insight and/or patch ideas on the N COM? What can one do with it?

User avatar
vgermuse
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 3000
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:42 pm
Location: ashland, oregon

Post by vgermuse » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:04 am

Avjr wrote:Having just ordered the VCFS i will have now all the R*S Serge modules except the N COM. Curiously i will have 10hp left on that case wich is what the N COM requires...

Anyone care to share some insight and/or patch ideas on the N COM? What can one do with it?
viewtopic.php?t=81473&highlight=

:party:

Avjr

Post by Avjr » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:14 am

vgermuse wrote:
Avjr wrote:Having just ordered the VCFS i will have now all the R*S Serge modules except the N COM. Curiously i will have 10hp left on that case wich is what the N COM requires...

Anyone care to share some insight and/or patch ideas on the N COM? What can one do with it?
viewtopic.php?t=81473&highlight=

:party:
Aw man, how did i miss this in my Google search? Thanks a bunch! :hail:
Gonna give it a good read. More tips are always welcomed!

But you pleople know i'm getting it anyways... :deadbanana:

User avatar
vgermuse
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 3000
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:42 pm
Location: ashland, oregon

Post by vgermuse » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:36 am

Be sure to use the Muffs search in the Buchla, EMS, Serge thread for more information, tips and tricks.

funqpatrol
Common Wiggler
Posts: 176
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:14 am
Location: Melbourne

Post by funqpatrol » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:50 pm

I've been fascinated recently by serge sound, and especially by that demo of the 2 NTO fming each other othe demo page. Only thing that come close to that kind of sound is the Lorre Mill double knot. Nowhere else have I heard these sounds. Now I want them all

User avatar
nimmen
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 297
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:42 am
Location: vilnius

Post by nimmen » Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:35 pm

R*S Serge is one of main reasons i'm expanding my rack, just can't ping vcfq enough for few months now...
busy soldering...

Avjr

Post by Avjr » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:36 am

NTO users, any recommendations on other vcos to pair with it? I'm thinking of replacing my Make Noise STO and i don't have the hp for another NTO, only 14hp left... :waah:

User avatar
lightafterdark
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:32 pm

Post by lightafterdark » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:13 pm

Serge Precision VCO would be the perfect match for NTO. I really hope that Random*Source will make it available soon in euro format.

User avatar
hallospceboy
Common Wiggler
Posts: 123
Joined: Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:22 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Post by hallospceboy » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:30 am

I really wish the search function worked, posted two days ago asking about this exact thing... :bang:
Looks like for Christmas I’m gonna build me some modules and make myself a random source serge case! Very excited about all of this!
And that BOM thread. :banana:
Current rig: Modulargrid!

User avatar
nimmen
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 297
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:42 am
Location: vilnius

Post by nimmen » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:33 am

I'm also building "sergy" cases, wonder if anyone could post their "mainly serge" racks as example, starting to lack ideas on what to add and how to balance it well (it will be 12u x 84 "portable" case). Or at least could tell me what other complimentary modules(non serge) they find very nice to have.
At the moment have:
2x reseq
2x vcfq
1x nto
1x ncom
1x dusg
1x ssg
other non serge modules, like vca's, mixers, fx, etc...
busy soldering...

Hr.Jansen
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 24
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:25 pm
Location: Norway

Post by Hr.Jansen » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:09 am

I feel the Hordjik Benjolin and TwinPeak filter, Doepfer matrix mixer and MN Erbe-verb fits my serge well. Spring reverb goes without saying i guess, but in lack of wad, i feel i can do lots of weird delays with my rainmaker. Just filter out the modern hi-fi highs and lows... :)

rob909101
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 33
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:20 pm
Location: UK

Post by rob909101 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:07 pm

I have the 4u: nto, wave mult/reseq, dssg, dusg, dual adsr, vcfq mixer
But no time to use it :waah: [/img]

User avatar
neonmercury1
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 380
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:15 pm
Location: Berlin

Post by neonmercury1 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:45 pm

rob909101 wrote:I have the 4u: nto, wave mult/reseq, dssg, dusg, dual adsr, vcfq mixer
But no time to use it :waah: [/img]
you can send it to me and ill put it to good use :miley:

Post Reply

Return to “Eurorack Modules”