MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Oberheim Two Voice Pro Issues
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Oberheim Two Voice Pro Issues
synthmind
I'm curious who else here owns an Oberheim Two Voice Pro and if you are having any issues with it...

I've stumbled upon a couple so far and am in communication with Tom about them, but have yet to receive any concrete answers.

- The first issue has to do with overall tuning of all four oscillators. I've noticed there can be a full half step shift up, that is quick (it's not a slow drift) after I've tuned. Sometimes it happens when I'm pushing buttons (for example changing octaves of the keyboard). Other times if I've left it on untouched for an indeterminate amount of time.

- The other issue is sequencer based. I've made a sequence and then saved to memory - for example to 5. When I scroll through the sequences, from 1 > 2 > 3 > 4 > 5, and then Recall Sequence 5, it automatically goes to Sequence 4 (which is not the same sequence as I had saved to Seq 5). I've now lost the ability to recall this one Sequence. Again, this has happened a couple times now. I've powered down and back up and it's the same scenario - completely unable to recall sequence 5.

Curious if anyone else is having issues along these lines - or other issues for that matter.
jdkee
I'm getting one in a couple of weeks. I'll see if I can recreate the issues when I get mine.
doombient.music
synthmind wrote:
I'm curious who else here owns an Oberheim Two Voice Pro [...]

Does anyone?

Stephen
Kazremark
I've had one for about a year. I've had tuning go out a bit, but nothing beyond what I would expect. In terms of the sequencer, never had an issue recalling a sequence.
scrumbo mcgrumbo
it's such a small cosmetic detail, but one thing i've noticed that bothers me is that on the top panel with all the 3.5 cv ins and outs there's a line between the lfo and envelope section is on the left SEM but for the right SEM there is not a line between the lfo and envelope cv ins/outs.

for a weirdo like me it's annoying.
onthelees
I had the issue you describe (sudden pitch shifts, etc..) with another synth. I spent forever trying to figure it out. It turned out to be a defective pitch bend wheel. The wheel would just randomly inject little changes. This can be the case whether the wheel is Analog or via MIDI.
Escapegoat
I've got one too, and hadn't noticed the first problem. As the pitch knob is quantised, it seems like it's happening when the knob is just on the cusp of two notes, and the small extra impacts of pressing other buttons elswhere 'nudges' it over the edge?

If so, I guess it's a case of tuning and then trying to leave the knob in the centre of the note position.

Not explored the sequencer in full depth yet. (Partly because those pitch knobs are so small and even trickier to set than the osc pitch.) So I can't give any advice - I'll try to repeat your problem next session.

scrumbo mcgrumbo wrote:
a line between the lfo and envelope section is on the left SEM but for the right SEM there is not a line between the lfo and envelope cv ins/outs.

Wait, what? (scurries off to check) Aw nuts - mine, too. Now it'll keep me awake at nights. eek!
bgerkes
Hey folks, I am the proud owner of one since this week and I ran into another anomely (bug?) regarding duophonic mode.

When all four leds are off in the keyboard mode section and I do the following:
1. press and hold a key (and keep holding it while doing step 2-4) (SEM 1 plays the note)
2. press a second key and let go (SEM 2 plays the note)
3. press a second key and let go (SEM 2 does NOT play the note)
4. press a second key and let go (SEM 2 plays the note)
5. press a second key and let go (SEM 2 plays the note)

So step 3 won't trigger a voice.

Can someone confirm that?
dang_motu
Has anyone had the issue with the sequencer, when driven by midi clock, adding inexplicable ratchets to steps?
Rex Coil 7
Confidence killing stuff for a $3,500 synth!
murch33
I've noticed the tuning issue before, but none of the other things posted so far.

The one thing mine does semi-regularly (maybe 10% of the time) is not turn on completely. Everything lights up except for the sequencer section, and I have to power down and then turn it back on. I don't believe it's ever happened twice in a row, so the reboot seems to do the trick.
Chrutil
murch33 wrote:
I've noticed the tuning issue before, but none of the other things posted so far.

The one thing mine does semi-regularly (maybe 10% of the time) is not turn on completely. Everything lights up except for the sequencer section, and I have to power down and then turn it back on. I don't believe it's ever happened twice in a row, so the reboot seems to do the trick.

Never noticed any tuning or clock issues with mine either, but a handful of times I have also had the problem where the sequencer section did not turn on completely. Turning it off and on again had always worked.
That said, this is definitely one of my all-time favorite synths.
dronic
One day
Panason
Issues are totally inexcusable at this price.
doombient.music
Panason wrote:

I'm afraid you are right.

I guess this is why I still haven't bought one -- this, and the fairly steep price over here in Europe.

Stephen
oldgearguy
doombient.music wrote:
Panason wrote:

I'm afraid you are right.

I guess this is why I still haven't bought one -- this, and the fairly steep price over here in Europe.

Stephen

I was in the same position and decided it was better to get an OG Two Voice, do the cap/calibration/cleanup required and have a known good quantity. MIDI/cv-gate interfacing solutions are abundant, and adding patchpoints to the original is a fairly easy thing to accomplish.

I wanted to like the new version, but small sonic differences combined with the OS/build issues tipped the scales to the old version.

I was fortunate to find an original about a year or so ago that needed a small bit of attention and was priced similarly to a new Two Voice; don't know what prices are like now.
askthedust
Before they're considered the new Andromedas, I need to say I never had a single problem with mine (black demo version from Perfect Circuit Audio).
dubnspace
don't have any problems with my black TVS either..
SynthBaron
Sounds like some kind of power supply regulation issue more than anything, IMHO.
pelican
No problems with my black one either other than the bend box cable being disconnected upon arrival, but literally fixed in 2 min
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1