MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

New Intellijel cases?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next [all]
Author New Intellijel cases?
astromooses
Didn't see it posted anyone peep these new Intellijel cases? They look beautiful! love

https://twitter.com/DayPolyester/status/673250465413402624

Not all images showing up in browser, here are more: http://imgur.com/a/nFZAb
phosfiend
Yeah, really looking forward to hearing about them in more detail. I have a design in mind that would use 3+ of them in a semi-portable folding case...

Plus I think there was mention of the ability to mount/customize aspects of them with the external rails/fin things.
ju4n
There is a pretty rigurous discussion on these going on in the 'news from intellijel' thread. They look pretty great! Curious to see their 1u line.
StanleyHiller
Ya these look awesome.
astromooses
ju4n wrote:
There is a pretty rigurous discussion on these going on in the 'news from intellijel' thread. They look pretty great! Curious to see their 1u line.

Thanks, I was wondering why I didn't already see a thread about these. d'oh!
silkynight
phosfiend wrote:
Yeah, really looking forward to hearing about them in more detail. I have a design in mind that would use 3+ of them in a semi-portable folding case...

Plus I think there was mention of the ability to mount/customize aspects of them with the external rails/fin things.

There's new accessories on the way and probably a million ways to DIY your own with these cases. applause
High Wolf
Do we know how many hp's?
geremyf
48, 84 and 104. Pick your poison.
computer controlled
Nice!
NoSix
I like the concept of these new cases, but there's a couple of things that stand out for me:

Price: if the station 252 is any indication, they might be on the upper pricing range.

Power: I think they all use one tile for power to the busboard (could be wrong), if you start adding tiles you would quickly start running out of available connectors (unless you stick with unpowered tiles).
Umcorps
NoSix wrote:

Power: I think they all use one tile for power to the busboard (could be wrong), if you start adding tiles you would quickly start running out of available connectors (unless you stick with unpowered tiles).

Quoted for truth.

10 connectors isn't really enough for a 104 hp case - I used 12 in mine already without any tiles.

Also not sure about the wisdom of locating the power bus over to the right of the case. I'd rather it was more central. I can see modules located on the left of the rack needing extra long ribbon cables.
phosfiend
I don't think any of the specifics you guys are discussing have been revealed yet, I'm hopeful that these cases are as well considered as the rest of IJ products.

I saw some other photos with power entering the side of the case, so I think it's going to be flexible?

Also in terms of price, from IJ Facebook:

"All I can reveal is that they will be in full stock in a couple of weeks, the design is unique and offers some features no other cases in Euro have offered before, they are built like tanks and they are very affordable. We will post details within the next few days."
hawkfuzz
I wanna see the accessory that connect the cases...I'm curious if power can be distributed from one bus or needs one each.

As smart as these are, I'd imagine you can use one bus. Just wanna see it and I'll start buying them.
pugix
hawkfuzz wrote:
I wanna see the accessory that connect the cases...I'm curious if power can be distributed from one bus or needs one each.

As smart as these are, I'd imagine you can use one bus. Just wanna see it and I'll start buying them.

I just got the 104 HP case and I think it's very good. It's well-built (although whoever assembled the power switch did not fully seat the sta-con connectors). The power supply has 20 headers. That's something you don't see that often in a small case.

I got two of their 1U balanced line out tiles. These have a standard header and power cable. But I'm putting in PulpLogic tiles, with a distributor cable that drives six tiles from one Euro header.

To your question, I don't see how power could be distributed to another skiff. You would need to power them separately.
hawkfuzz
In the picture it looks like two screw go in each side of the bottom wall/rail, so if that piece is replaced with a piece the joins both cases and has rails in the right place and was full of holes for the connectors, it could be fine.
slumberjack
pugix wrote:
But I'm putting in PulpLogic tiles, with a distributor cable that drives six tiles from one Euro header.

regarding to another thread, pulplogic tiles don't fit into intellijel 1u rows.
how do you manage that?

best,
s
pugix
slumberjack wrote:
pugix wrote:
But I'm putting in PulpLogic tiles, with a distributor cable that drives six tiles from one Euro header.

how do you manage that?

best,
s

You're right, they don't. angry

So I've just ordered a bunch of tiles that won't fit. I don't get it. Why isn't the 1U tile a standard size. This really pisses me off.

I am going to return or sell this case and the two IntelliJ output modules. Can anyone explain to me why this information isn't made available before you buy the shit? Why wouldn't I assume that 1U is 1U?
exper
There are several '1u standards'.

Pulp Logic chose to design their tiles to only be compatible with lipless rails, whereas Intellijel chose to follow doeofer's standards of lipped rails which mean to stay with 1u, they'd have to slightly shorter. Then there's the wildcard 1u modules some of which are bigger (Monome's case uses somethung like a 1.25u) different power connectors (vermona supposedly used the same size as pulp logic, but uses standard euro power headers), etc.

This thread has lots of discussion:

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=154392

Basically, because Intellijel's cases are extruded aluminum, the rails are built in. In order for the case to exactly fit in 4u (so that rack ears can be added) the needed to design it this way.
Citizen Klaus
pugix wrote:
slumberjack wrote:
pugix wrote:

how do you manage that?

best,
s

You're right, they don't. angry

So I've just ordered a bunch of tiles that won't fit. I don't get it. Why isn't the 1U tile a standard size. This really pisses me off.

I am going to return or sell this case and the two IntelliJ output modules. Can anyone explain to me why this information isn't made available before you buy the shit? Why wouldn't I assume that 1U is 1U?

Here's an explanation based on a comment that I made in the "Intellijel 1U Info" thread linked by exper, revised to account for some helpful format-comparison analysis by widgetoz.

As I understand it, the reason for the difference goes back to the original creation of 1U tiles. Pulp Logic/Erthenvar were able to give themselves extra PCB and panel space for their tiles by pushing the rails out to the vertical limits of the 1U form factor. In the process, they wound up inadvertently making a 1U format more like PAiA's Frac Rack than like the Eurorack standard -- where the panels are scaled to take up the full height of the given number of rack units.

As Doepfer notes on their Mechanical Details page, Eurorack modules aren't exactly 3U tall (unlike Frac Rack modules, which are) -- they're actually approximately 5mm shorter than the full 3U of vertical height. (3U/Frac Rack = 133.35mm; Eurorack = 128.5mm). Doepfer did this to account for the extruded lips present on the Schroff rails that they use. If Eurorack modules were sized for the full 3U like Frac Rack modules, then a rack using Schroff rails wouldn't fit in 3U of rack space -- it'd be just slightly too big.

Getting back to 1U tiles, Pulp Logic/Erthenvar were able to size their tiles in a Frac Rack-like fashion, using the full 1U of vertical space, because they were using Vector rails, which don't have lips. If you used the Pulp Logic/Erthenvar hole spacing with lipped rails (Schroff, TipTop, etc.), you'd exceed 44.45mm of overall height, and the tile row would no longer fit into exactly 1U, just like a Eurorack module with Frac Rack-sized panels wouldn't fit into 3U if mounted to lipped rails.

Since Intellijel wanted or needed to use lipped rails for their cases, they had to make their 1U modules smaller than Pulp Logic/Erthenvar's in order for the entire package to still fit within 1U of rack space.
pugix
Thanks for the explanation. It does not help my predicament. I'm going to have to return or sell (at a loss) the brand new case and all the brand new tiles that don't fit.

And then I'll have to go looking for another case and power solution.

On the bright side, I'll probably end up with more modules. smile
slumberjack
tbh to me these cases don't seem very 'intelligent' if you only can use their modules.
deStrict
I'm looking for a performance case.
Interesting
PolarIceCaves
pugix
If you bought it from intellijel I'd return it to them for your full purchase price.

They mislead you.
kjellb
Could someone with a 4U case please measure the exact possible depth for a module in the area with no busboard?
exper
kjellb wrote:
Could someone with a 4U case please measure the exact possible depth for a module in the area with no busboard?

From the website:

Quote:
Max. internal depth for modules: 70 mm
Internal depth for modules over top of the power bus board (at highest ): 53 mm
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next [all]
Page 1 of 7