MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

[ORDER] Euclidean Circles - LEDs with rhythm
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25  Next [all]
Author [ORDER] Euclidean Circles - LEDs with rhythm
av500
UPDATE 9: SixSwitches PCB/panel set, kit and fully built available, see build guide below

PLEASE, if you email me, mention your MW nick, otherwise I have a hard time tracking who is who

see bottom of this post for prices

it's a panel! it's a PCB! it has rhythm! it's Euclidean Circles!

prototype PCBs finally came in, so here it my first *real* Eurorack module

it's a 3/6 channel 16 step Euclidean rhythm generator with an unique pattern visualization in 3U, 10hp Eurorack format. outputs 1-3 are the "on-beat" triggers and 4-6 are the "off-beat" trigger signals, all 5V. triggers 4-6 can also be used as a second set of 3 channels so 6 independent rhythm channels in total

the board and front panel is all SMT except for jacks and encoders - soldering the LEDs can be tricky, it's not a beginners SMT project.

The module runs from 5V only and depending on the adjustable LED brightness consumes between 60mA and 150mA. I run it at the lowest setting most of the time, at the highest level you attract passing alien space ships, so beware

see the linked video for a short demonstration of the basic features. on top of creating Euclidean Rhythms, the board is also a variable clock divider up to audio rates (tested up to 20kHz) and I'm working on more features like chaining and prescaling between 2 or 3 channels.

---------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------
UPDATE:

DIY PCB set (v1.8) with CPU soldered and programmed, including JP1/JP2 to connect the PCBs and 3 plastic washers for the encoders: €45 + shipping

NOTE: soldering the LEDs can be tricky, it's not a beginners SMT project!

Fully built module with encoders, knobs and jacks: €250 + shipping

SixSwitches:

PCB + panel: €10 + €5 shipping

full kit: €35 + €7 shipping

Fully built: €50 + €7 shipping

payment via PayPal in Euro please, email me for orders, email address is vp (at) vpme (dot) de and please mention your MW nick so I can track who is who.

---------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------
Mouser cart: https://www.mouser.de/ProjectManager/ProjectDetail.aspx?AccessID=99414 397ee
---------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------








Euclidian Circles @ Modulargrid

BOMs and build guides:
(NOTE: in order to see the attached documents, you need to be logged in to muffwiggler.com - alterntatively these are avialable here: https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/0ByXqLcOF-aBUbmdKSjJGTEtwOU U)

v1.8:
- EuclideanCircles_BOM_and_Build_Guide_v1.8.pdf

v1.7:
- EuclideanCircles_BOM_v1.5.pdf
- EuclideanCircles_Build_Guide_v1.7.pdf

v1.5:
- EuclideanCircles_BOM_v1.5.pdf
- EuclideanCircles_Soldering_and_Assembly_v1.5.pdf

v1.2, v1.3, v1.4:
- EuclideanCircles_BOM_v1.3.pdf
- EuclideanCircles_Soldering_and_Wiring.pdf

SixSwitches:
- SixSwitches_build_guide_v1.0.pdf
LoFi Junglist
remove the 's' in 'https' in the video link.

I always hoped for something like this to be released with Dekatrons, but metasonix ruined all hope by explaining how unreliable they are waah

Great job implementing it thumbs up
av500
using the Euclidian Circles module as a clock divider at audio rates:

emeb
Amazing!
av500
LoFi Junglist wrote:
remove the 's' in 'https' in the video link.

I always hoped for something like this to be released with Dekatrons, but metasonix ruined all hope by explaining how unreliable they are waah

Great job implementing it thumbs up


thanks, fixed. Dekatrons are here on my desk, but no time yet smile
medbot
emeb wrote:
Amazing!


I agree!

That chip in the middle looks pretty scary. I've done ICs like the others, but I don't think I've tried anything that tight. I'd definitely be down to try though because that thing looks worth it just for the light show. Great sequencing options are just a bonus really.
PK808370
That's just fun to look at! I don't even like light shows on my modules, but I like this one. Oh, it also seems like it might be sonically useful smile not just a flashy dresser.
av500
medbot wrote:
emeb wrote:
Amazing!


I agree!

That chip in the middle looks pretty scary. I've done ICs like the others, but I don't think I've tried anything that tight. I'd definitely be down to try though because that thing looks worth it just for the light show. Great sequencing options are just a bonus really.


20pin TSSOP, solders easily under the stereo microscope here smile
PK808370
medbot... you snuck in in front of me and stole all my thoughts... I must have been too mesmerized by the ... ooh circles Dead Banana
limpmeat
Looks cool, I'd be keen
mikecameron
neat! I didn't see any mention of availability...
timpecter
That looks super cool, really pretty, useful, and novel! I've done a bit of SMD but I think that's just too extreme for me to tackle. How do you solder the LEDs? Seems like it would be hard to reach the contacts with the iron without melting the plastic edges of the LED...
av500
mikecameron wrote:
neat! I didn't see any mention of availability...


bear with me, this is the first time I think about making PCBs/modules available, so I need to find my way smile
av500
timpecter wrote:
That looks super cool, really pretty, useful, and novel! I've done a bit of SMD but I think that's just too extreme for me to tackle. How do you solder the LEDs? Seems like it would be hard to reach the contacts with the iron without melting the plastic edges of the LED...


soldering the LEDs is not that hard for me, but then I have a stereo microscope that I can use smile I basically rotate the PCB after every two LEDs, so the iron is always in the same place when soldering and with a fine tip I can reach the contacts easily.
atte
av500 wrote:
the module runs from 5V only and depending on the adjustable LED brightness consumes between 60mA and 600mA.


Looks really nice, although it seems to be a hungry little fella.

However it too small for me ATM, maybe someone could build one for me... What's the price and availability? Full kits or is there a BOM (or mouser card) available?
TimoRozendal
wow, nice!
NS4W
I'm interested! But I would need some assistance on that SMD....
geecen
1:12 Finally, a Euro jump-step module cool

Seriously though, looks great.
Jarno
Looks great!
It does seem a bit fragile though, does it feel that way too, or not too bad?
oootini
looks really nice!

quick thought - flip the firmware to have only the active step lit on the leds? that would mean far less current consumption. just a thought...
gbiz
Fantastic. SMD and blinkenlights. screaming goo yo

Is that SMD power header up to taking repeated insertion/removal of the power cable, or a cable under strain in the cabinet ?. I appreciate using a PTH header would mean the pins show on the front & wouldn't look good. I ripped half the pads off a similar header that's used for the display board on Streams with nothing more than a accidental knock.
av500
oootini wrote:
looks really nice!

quick thought - flip the firmware to have only the active step lit on the leds? that would mean far less current consumption. just a thought...


can add that to the firmware as a setting smile what's a digital module without settings after all! Rockin' Banana!
av500
Jarno wrote:
Looks great!
It does seem a bit fragile though, does it feel that way too, or not too bad?


it definitely feels "not too bad to me" smile
av500
gbiz wrote:
Fantastic. SMD and blinkenlights. screaming goo yo

Is that SMD power header up to taking repeated insertion/removal of the power cable, or a cable under strain in the cabinet ?. I appreciate using a PTH header would mean the pins show on the front & wouldn't look good. I ripped half the pads off a similar header that's used for the display board on Streams with nothing more than a accidental knock.


show me on the module where to put a 10/16 pin through hole header smile
av500
NS4W wrote:
I'm interested! But I would need some assistance on that SMD....


I'm thinking of offering it "prebuilt" with the SMD soldered and you only mount the jacks and encoders. would that be an option?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25  Next [all]
Page 1 of 25
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group