MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Anyone use Ladik M-330 Clock to MIDI sync?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Anyone use Ladik M-330 Clock to MIDI sync?
xonetacular
http://ladik.ladik.eu/?page_id=861

I'm wondering how tight the timing is and how well it works in practice.

I was hoping to avoid midi altogether but I'm looking to add some other boxes to my setup and want to clock them from the modular. This seems like it could work on paper but I know midi can be a pain in the ass in practice.

Looking to add a TT303, and eventually maybe a rytm to my setup, and would like to keep the modular (circadian rhythms in particular) the master clock. I don't know if this route will end up being a headache or not and I should just make something else the master and use a regular midi/cv converter to slave the modular instead.
technicoloraudio
I just ordered this to sync my looper with, and I am really excited about it, even if there's a wee bit of jitter. My experience with Elektron stuff is that they want to be the master. I hope the Ladik is tight, but I don't know if I would put anything on Elektron clocking duties. However, I have always been satisfied with the clock out from Elektrons and their transport controls. YMMV.
ModusOp
Bumping this old thread to see if anyone who's owned this module has had good luck with it, specifically with fluctuating clock speeds to midi.

Turns out the Cirklon's CV in doesn't do clock input (yet), so I'm trying to go this route instead until it's hopefully one day implemented.
xonetacular
ModusOp wrote:
Bumping this old thread to see if anyone who's owned this module has had good luck with it, specifically with fluctuating clock speeds to midi.

Turns out the Cirklon's CV in doesn't do clock input (yet), so I'm trying to go this route instead until it's hopefully one day implemented.

I had good luck with it while I was using it to use my CR to clock midi gear/elektrons. just keep in mind it expects of a 24ppq pulse so you will need a multiplier if your clock source doesn't output that fast

I'm downsizing now so am selling one at the moment fyi: https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=159883
ModusOp
Very cool. Thanks, xonetacular! I'm still not 100% sure what I'm going to put together at the moment, but I'll definitely keep the M-330 in mind. smile
technicoloraudio
My experience with the 330 wasn't awesome due to the weirdness of the 12 ppqn, which I couldn't manage on the receiving end so now instead of being the master, modular is ze slave.
ModusOp
Hmm. Well, that doesn't sound promising. Did you try using a Multiplier?

I may just try waiting until the Clock in via CV input functionality is added to the Cirklon then. confused
The other Clock to Midi options are a bit too large/pricey for what they do, me thinks.
Paranormal Patroler
I own both the Ladik and more expensive options. The Ladik is a great module, I've been using a Pamela to get the triggers right and sending MIDI clock to my Repeater. Both Pamela and the Repeater show the same BPM and change similarly when I turn Pamela's knob. No issues here, but then again contrary to the OP I enjoy MIDI!
ModusOp
Yes! That's what I'm talkin' about! Thanks for chiming in.
I can just squeeze an SCM in my plans too, so hopefully that'll do the trick. Guinness ftw!
Paranormal Patroler
ModusOp wrote:
Yes! That's what I'm talkin' about! Thanks for chiming in.
I can just squeeze an SCM in my plans too, so hopefully that'll do the trick. Guinness ftw!

I have the SCM, RCD and Pamela; I use the Pamela when I need to create utilitarian clocks, like when you need a steady clock multiplication to the Ladik Clock-to-MIDI, or when you need a reset or start/stop of the clock after a certain number of clock counts.

The SCM and RCD are more musical with the direct CV control (Pamela has CV control but it's not that direct), but I'm positive you can use the SCM for your purposes. You might also need the break-out, but I'm not sure.

Since we're on a Ladik related thread, I also adore the Ladik S-190 clock distributor. There are a lot of options in Eurorack and Ladik has some crazy modules which people don't notice! He has taken the mantle from Doepfer.
ilarioglasgo
Hi guys, I bumping this old thread because it's really the point of my problem.
I'm new in Eurorack world and I'm trying to sync my modular (master clock) with my loop station (slave) without success.
I'm using exactly the Ladik M-330 CV-to-MIDI.

Reading this thred, I think the problem is the clock out is too far from 24ppqn for the M-330.
If I put the clock out in a multiplier (x24) I resolve the problem?
Is there multiplier for these numbers? Is maybe 24 trigs for a single quarter too fast?!?

I don't know, actually, how to resolve the problem, because I have a few modules now. Maybe I should buy a multiplier?
Thanks a lot
jimmy_p
Typically you would take the 16ths clock and multiply it by 6.

The scm has a x6 option, but you could do x24 if you use the extra x4 option on the expander.
ilarioglasgo
Hi jimmy_p, thanks for the reply.

I don't understand if I should multiply the single trig x24 or the 4/4 bar x6.
Is the same or is it different?
jimmy_p
I think what you are getting at would amount to the same thing, it's really a matter of what else you would use the clock divider / multiplier outputs for.

If you think in terms of a standard setup in a drum machine step sequencer, there are 16 stages in 1 bar. That bar is typically thought of as having 4 quarter notes (typical house/techno 4/4 kick pattern) Each quarter note is comprised of 4 stages on the sequencer (XOOOXOOOXOOOXOOO)

If you have all the stages active (XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX) you have 4 pulses per quarter note, this can be thought of as 1/16th notes. If you already have these 16th notes generated by your clock system, multiplying that by 6 will give you 24 pulses per quarter note (4x6 = 24) If your clock is only sending the quarter note triggers, you would have to multiply by 24 somehow.

The most accurate way would be to generate the clock at 24 ppqn and then divide down by 6 for your 16ths etc, but it really depends what other divisions / multiplications you will find useful elsewhere in your patching.

For my own setup I modified the code on an scm slightly so that the x2 output gives me 1/4 notes at 128bpm, the x8 gives me 16ths, and the x6 outputs 24ppqn which is actually x48 of the base clock. This goes off to my own midi clocking modules via an Intellijel Plog, which is patched so as I can stop and start the midi clock in sync with the bar via the toggle switch.
ilarioglasgo
Thanks a lot for all suggestions, I'll try a SCM and I'll write about the tests!
rico loverde
I use the M220 and absolutely love mine. Cheap and does what it's suppose to!
rico loverde
Oops sorry misread the module you are talking about. My bad.
ilarioglasgo
Quote:

jimmy_p
If you think in terms of a standard setup in a drum machine step sequencer, there are 16 stages in 1 bar. That bar is typically thought of as having 4 quarter notes (typical house/techno 4/4 kick pattern) Each quarter note is comprised of 4 stages on the sequencer (XOOOXOOOXOOOXOOO)

If you have all the stages active (XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX) you have 4 pulses per quarter note, this can be thought of as 1/16th notes. If you already have these 16th notes generated by your clock system, multiplying that by 6 will give you 24 pulses per quarter note (4x6 = 24) If your clock is only sending the quarter note triggers, you would have to multiply by 24 somehow.

After some tests I can say that my sequencer (Soundmachines DC1) clocks out 4 triggers for a single quarter, so I must just put a multiply x6 (for example 4MS SCM) before the M-330. Is right?

Thanks a lot, I learned something new!
ilarioglasgo
Hi guys, I'm very sad for the test's results.
I've seen my seq puts out 16 steps (4 for every quarter), so I've bought a 4MS SCM for multiply the clock x6 before entering into Ladik M-330.

But the result is very odd :( :(
The my Pigtronix Infinity Looper's tempo is synced with modular (the led blinks synced to modular), but when I close every loop their pitch is always modified on a semitone up.
Slowly (after a pair of loop) the pitch of the loop turns correct but without syncing.
It's a disaster! I'm really sad

I know the CV-to-MIDI sync is very complex work but I don't believe there isn't alternatives.

For example, jimmy_p, Iungo module can do this work for me?
Paranormal Patroler
Seems like your issue is with Pigtronix Infinity Looper, not with the Ladik. I own both the Ladik and the Iungo and I've never had any issues with either. Specifically I sync my Electrix Repeater via the Ladik with no fuss.

Have you tried syncing the Infinity to other devices before ?
akavalve
Paranormal Patroler wrote:
Seems like your issue is with Pigtronix Infinity Looper, not with the Ladik. I own both the Ladik and the Iungo and I've never had any issues with either. Specifically I sync my Electrix Repeater via the Ladik with no fuss.

Have you tried syncing the Infinity to other devices before ?

2nd'ed on an issue with the Infinity.

I've had some funny issues Midi syncing my Infinity..didn't matter enough for me to pursue it. I suggest you contact Pigtronix. They've always been really responsive when I've questions for them.
mylomod
I own both the Ladik and more expensive options. The Ladik is a great module, I've been using a Pamela to get the triggers right and sending MIDI clock to my Repeater. Both Pamela and the Repeater show the same BPM and change similarly when I turn Pamela's knob. No issues here, but then again contrary to the OP I enjoy MIDI!

Hi I am trying to use the same set up as you - Pam's running into a M-330 which, in my case, is sending midi sync to a drum machine. Could you please run through for me how you have Pam's set up and going to the m-330.

Thanks
Paranormal Patroler
mylomod wrote:

Hi I am trying to use the same set up as you - Pam's running into a M-330 which, in my case, is sending midi sync to a drum machine. Could you please run through for me how you have Pam's set up and going to the m-330.

Thanks

Just plug one of the Pam's outputs to the M-330 input and change Pam's setting (speed it up) until your unit syncs with your modular stuff in terms of aligning the bars. Should be at 24ppqn normally.
xonetacular
So I sold my M330 when I downsized thinking I could use CV out of the A4 as a master clock to sync all my gear and save HP.... Nope that turned out to be a big headache, rebought another 330 and life is good again. It just works and is rock solid with my CR and all my elektrons. Miley Cyrus
sauflesautres
Is there anything special in configuring pam's for feeding the M330 ? I already use 24ppq with a standard reset trigger for my sequencers. Will i need to fiddle with pam's delay settings and all for my gear to be synchronized ?

This Ladik module looks like it's exactly what i want.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2