MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Filter for Euro Harsh Noise
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Synth Noise  
Author Filter for Euro Harsh Noise
Bataserpa
I am looking for an aggressive filter for my eurorack harsh noise killer machine.

I know there is many options around and i already used forum's search function, but i need more straight opinion about a filter for extreme noise duties (screaming!!).

I already have Plague Bearer, Doepfer Wasp and Doepfer Bit Modifier.

So far, I have in my mind this options:

Get another Plague Bearer
Bionic Lester
Pittsburgh Filter
FSS Spektral Devastator
Geiger Counter
Metasonix R?? (forgot the number).

I need help to decide which one

Thanks a lot
EarlJemmings
Any of those would be great- idk about the Pittsburgh
Fss is what I'd lean towards, also like to put up:

Animodule SOB does some weird stuff when resonating

IFM sprott is just delightfully weird

Also check out the elby bi-n-tic for a less expensive bionic Lester alternative
electrolobotomy
The Pitts filter can get pretty filthy!!
sloth713
Make sure to consider the WMD uHC it can get very filthy with its unstable resonance but it can also be clean depending on how you drive it. It is by far one the most powerful sound shaping tool in my modular set up.

The R-54 can be a very interesting and lively oscillator but as a filter I find it a fair amount more tame (but still very wild by most people standards). I cannot speak for the R-52. No matter what Metasonix stuff sounds amazingly awesome when it is right on the verge of self resonance.

Edit: if you like feedback loops then both the uHC and R-54 are equally awesome in their own ways.
Nelson Baboon
I feel like I must post some devil's advocate filth....

if you're making a harsh end sound, what exactly is the role of a filter?

(I'm just thinking out loud)...

For the most part, I think, a filter (even if it feeds back pretty nastily) will usually be used to calm the sound somewhat.

But this isn't a bad thing, even for harsh sounds, since some modification of your source sound is necessary, but you generally do want to retain the essence of what is fed into it.

So, I wonder if one really should have other criteria than just the question of what filter sounds best to you.

Then, there is always - what about the Sherman Filterbank? A little more expensive than a module, but used - they can be quite reasonable.

if it were me, I'd look for lots of modulation (which the sherman has) - and look at it as a tool to bring various qualities to the core sound - up to an including distortion, but lots of ability to modulate the timbre from there.

Again - just thinking out loud....
Bataserpa
Thanks a lot for all the sugestions. I will investigate the other modules mentioned, specialy wmd uhc and animodule sob.

About Nelson point of view. I do think a filter is important for Harsh noise because gives you the ability to play with high and low freq, bringing their in and out (an EQ does that also). It gives dinamics in the overall sound. Listen to Merzbow in the early 90's or Painjerk and you will see what i mean.

I already have a Sherman Filtebank, it's a great filter/dist machine. I will experiment with my eurorack. The problem it is a little big to carry for playing live. That's why a module is better, if sounds good.

More opinions will be great.
VanEck
Medic Modules - Defibrillator

This thing is nasty as hell. The pre-amp on the input is a very unique sounding monster. It has a crazy amount of gain, and distorts in a very lowend friendly way that sounds unlike any other filter I've owned. Hard to describe really... the closest thing I can compare it to is an overdriven tape saturation sound. Very interesting coloration that to me just sounds like fluorescent yellow puke.

Aside from being able to abuse the gain stage for distortion, the filter itself is pretty rad and based off of the MS20 circuit. Can really scream. Very wide dynamic range. The slightest adjustment of res or gain can bring out a whole new sonic range.

The sliders make it very fun and easy to go nuts with live and jam. decent for for feedback patching.

My only complaints about it is A: size, and B: no CV over resonance. If it was just a bit smaller, and had some CV over the resonance amount, it would be the ultimate noise filter for me. I actually sold my Sherman after getting this one.

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/medic-modules-defibrillator-plain
EarlJemmings
VanEck wrote:
I actually sold my Sherman after getting this one.

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/medic-modules-defibrillator-plain

High praise! Never paid much attention to it because of the panel, I'll have to check it out.

I've actually been considering getting more plague bearers, but for more of a mixing/mastering kinda thing.
Wish I could get a quad unit evil

And Don't forget to try out things that aren't technically filters:
Somehow my Envelator in AR mode mixed with some feedback for resonance makes for a surprisingly good sounding- and gnarly- filter. Preserves low end, while adding some weird multiple peak kind of waveshaping to the signal.
MindMachine
You might consider a Synthrotek Dirt.

Also some say 2 Plague Bearers are the only way to go.

For the price you could afford to get another PB and a Dirt.

Feedback loops into filters really show you what they have under their pants, but you likely know that. Extra mults and mixers always add more fun.
building
i say doepfer 106-1
solaris
Bataserpa wrote:

About Nelson point of view. I do think a filter is important for Harsh noise because gives you the ability to play with high and low freq, bringing their in and out (an EQ does that also).

then maybe something like this

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/l-1-quad-vc-resonant-equalizer

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/sputnik-modular-spectral-processor
VanEck
EarlJemmings wrote:

I've actually been considering getting more plague bearers, but for more of a mixing/mastering kinda thing.
Wish I could get a quad unit evil

i've owned the quad unit... twice. A ver 1 back in the day, and then later a ver 4. Missing them lately.

The quads are fun and convenient in some ways, but it's a very weird case. Kind of inconvenient to find a spot for live. Probably better off just getting a little lunch box case and slapping in 4 of the modules. Really can't go wrong with the PB's, but they are a bit of a one trick pony. Personally I prefer using filters with more versatility and making them perform in obnoxious noisy and distorted ways.
coolshirtdotjpg
MindMachine wrote:
You might consider a Synthrotek Dirt.

Also some say 2 Plague Bearers are the only way to go.

For the price you could afford to get another PB and a Dirt.

Feedback loops into filters really show you what they have under their pants, but you likely know that. Extra mults and mixers always add more fun.

I like the dirt filter a lot, but you have to really want to destroy the tone! The plague bearer is a lot more versatile. They are both worth getting. Not sure it counts are as a filter really, but the Serge Resonant EG is also great for adding resonant screeches.
building
i currently have my doepfer 106-1 in a feedback loop and the output is going into a plague bearer, it sounds amazing.
RealDudes
High pass and band pass are great for noise but I would check out the serge res eq or ladik filter bank
memes_33
polivoks are screamers! there's a guy from russia on the forum who makes very affordable (albeit ugly) clones. i think the modules go by Uoki Toki
krz
[quote="Bataserpa"]I am looking for an aggressive filter for my eurorack harsh noise killer machine.

I already have Plague Bearer, Doepfer Wasp and Doepfer Bit Modifier.

So far, I have in my mind this options:

Get another Plague Bearer
Bionic Lester
Pittsburgh Filter
FSS Spektral Devastator

Geiger Counter
Metasonix R?? (forgot the number).

I need help to decide which one

Thanks a lot[/quote]

I went to modulargrid.net site and searched for
noise and it doesn't specifically cover "filters" but
it sure does illustrate what sort've modules are available
(some aren't anymore) that can bring the noise.
You can certainly get (financially) maimed by what's currently available. Unbelievable.
dubonaire
building wrote:
i say doepfer 106-1

Agree! A really useful filter, particularly in this case because it has clipping controls on the diodes.
Swann
Something to try, seeing as you already own a few filters is to feed them into each other. This can force filter self oscillation at lower settings and really push you into clipped zones across your frequency span.

I also recommend the Alex and June filter by Razmasynth it can really scream!
sexcomputer
the pittsburgh filter has the ability to get nutz. filters aren't always reigning in sound sometimes they antagonize it quite nicely.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Synth Noise  
Page 1 of 1