MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Analog 4 and Analog RYTM screen issues..?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Analog 4 and Analog RYTM screen issues..?
Fiddlestickz
Has anyone else noticed a slight discoloration of the LCD screens on their analog 4 or RYTM's..??

On both of mine they seem to be kind of grey pixels in some areas..?

to the far right side on the analog 4 screen, equal to the 2 far right knobs=parameters E&J it's grey instead of the dark blue

on the RYTM all the pixels are grey instead of the 3rd row of knobs=parameters C&G which are still blue..

It's really obvious to look at and appears as though the screens are fading or something else..?

this is the analog 4 screen..

this is the Analog RYTM screen..

anyone else notice this on theirs..??
confused
shreddoggie
Seems pretty lame for devices that are a year or 2 old at the most. I wonder if you leave them on all the time or turn them off and on each time? Near heat or in direct sunlight?

Not insinuating its your fault at all - its not acceptable for a professional device at that price point to develop such issues, (any device for that matter) just wondering if there my be some aggravating cause beyond the clear defect of some sort or another.
Fiddlestickz
My studio has no direct sunlight coming in at all, I only turn them on when I use them but they can be on for a day or two at a time occasionally, but still that shouldn't do this..??

The deterioration is very noticeable..
Poldenstein
Maybe it's a silly question, but did you already take away the transparent protective adhesive layer? It's so sturdy that's easy to miss..
My A4 it's close to its 4th birthday and the display is perfect.
fano
is each device using its own power supply?
Fiddlestickz
yes the plastic film was removed before i bought them both..

fano wrote:
is each device using its own power supply?

yes and they are both plugged into the same power board...I thought of trying a different power supply like the one from my monomachine but it's not the same V as the newer ones on the black elektron boxes..
heckadecimal69
Forgive me, as you've already stated it but maybe just double check that there's no film still on the screens. It's really easy to miss. Dig your fingernail into it. That's really what this looks like to me, otherwise I can't help ya. Good luck either way.
Fiddlestickz
I've checked, honestly there is no film, the RYTM it was peeling off when I bought it so I took it off the day I got it, the A4 it's not there for sure..

I will just continue to monitor them and see if it gets worse, if it stays like it is I have no problems with it, just don't want it to deteriorate..
RustyO
You haven't had a good run with Elektrons at all have you?
Fiddlestickz
RustyO wrote:
You haven't had a good run with Elektrons at all have you?

hated the red screen of the machinedrum so sold it..
took me forever to get a Monomachine but now I have it I love it to pieces..
I love my A4 and RYTM and will not sell them, recently sold the Octatrack as I just wasn't using it, currently selling my Avalon too for more euro..( verbos )

Want to buy an analog keys and almost have the money for one, then I'm just buying euro euro euro...no more hardware synths or groove boxes or modules for me, just the AK and A4 and A Rytm and a wall of euro rack..

but I love the Elektron boxes I have..

Mr. Green
indionat
hi
i am late for an answer but i had the same today with both machines A4 and AR, the room temp is 20 C. no sunlight... Both were working fine before.
greetings
indionat
RowanH
I had the same issue with my analog 4 after about a year. Luckily still in warranty and Elektron fixed it and got the paint chipping issue fixed at the same time, which I wasn't too fussed about initially as it was only around one screw.
nikbee
i had same issue on my RYTM. elektron replaced it (along with a bunch of other unrelated stuff!).
trabant
looks weird
nativestate
I have an analog rytm and I have never had this issue. I do come across weird abnormalities if it is left on for sometime. A simple restart addresses this.
amnesia
https://reverb.com/item/6622500-led-display-upgrade-elektron-analog-fo ur-heat-keys-rytm-custom-white-on-black-dot-matrix-display#login-form
Panason
shreddoggie wrote:
Seems pretty lame for devices that are a year or 2 old at the most. .

The mk1 boxes were declared "legacy" by Elektron, who rewarded the fans with mk2 versions ( which also have lame displays). applause

On the Rytm mk1 the labelling of the buttons (white paint on black) is done cheaply and stupidly. On mine (bought new less than 4 years ago) the labels of the 16 steps are getting rubbed out from use. If they had a clue they would have printed the labels ABOVE the buttons so they don't get rubbed off by hands.. and if they weren't so greedy they would have done a better quality paint job.

Elektron : a facade of quality and hi-tech concealing cheap and nasty stuff...It doesn't have to be made in China.
Rex Coil 7
Panason wrote:
shreddoggie wrote:
Seems pretty lame for devices that are a year or 2 old at the most. .

The mk1 boxes were declared "legacy" by Elektron, who rewarded the fans with mk2 versions ( which also have lame displays). applause

On the Rytm mk1 the labelling of the buttons (white paint on black) is done cheaply and stupidly. On mine (bought new less than 4 years ago) the labels of the 16 steps are getting rubbed out from use. If they had a clue they would have printed the labels ABOVE the buttons so they don't get rubbed off by hands.. and if they weren't so greedy they would have done a better quality paint job.

Elektron : a facade of quality and hi-tech concealing cheap and nasty stuff...It doesn't have to be made in China.
Graphics on devices that are meant to lay flat on a table or desk are always beneath the knobs. Graphics on devices that are meant to be mounted vertically (such as synth modules) are always above the knob.

This is done so the descriptions are not hidden by the knobs (think about it ... and look at other audio gear meant for desktop/tabletop use .... graphics beneath the control, nearly every time).

Panason wrote:
If they had a clue they would have printed the labels ABOVE the buttons so they don't get rubbed off by hands.. and if they weren't so greedy they would have done a better quality paint job.

"If you had a clue you wouldn't rub the graphics with your thumb when you use the knob ... and if you weren't such a tight wad you'd have bought better gear"

poke
poke
poke

Mr. Green

razz

Cheers my friend .... cookie?!?
arnoux
Just noticed the same issue with mine, this picture was taken running the test mode:

Fiddlestickz did you manage to fix the issue somehow?
arnoux
I noticed another issue with my RYTM:

the FX/kit button do not always respond Dead Banana

If I press Function FX/kit it respond every time, but pressing it all alone it doesn't always switch to the FX page.

I tried the factory reset and the software update (two times) to not avail.

Any suggestion?
Panason
There's a guy on ebay UK that sells better quality replacement screens but I think he just gets them from an electronics supplier and marks them up....At the elektron forums there is plenty of info on the displays and replacing them...

Reeeeexxxx , nice try but I' m afraid I am right (again) twisted . I was talking about buttons, not knobz. thumbs up

Rytm :

Once again, elektron are clueless and Pioneer shows how it's done right:

Looks like I'm not the only one!

calaveras
My only problem with the A4 is that it's not as familiar or easy to use as the Machinedrum I have it next to. So I end up rarely programming more than one thing at a time on it.

I do not see any fading or anything. I also don't see that funny rainbow pattern that all your pics show?

At one point I was going to sell it, but the prices it's getting right now it's easier to keep it around for the one or two things it's good at.

I'm considering getting one of the upgraded screens for the machinedrum. That dull orange glow is hard to see at an angle.
lmgrovllum
This happened to my Rytm screen after heavy use for about 3 years and likely some sun exposure.

I contacted Elektron support and they sent me a new screen for free that arrived in under a week. Back to good as new thumbs up

The Mk II / Digi... screens are much superior in all aspects. I ended up selling the Rytm Mk I after getting a Digitakt because I couldn't stand looking at the tiny screen of the Rytm in comparison.
shred
lmgrovllum wrote:
This happened to my Rytm screen after heavy use for about 3 years and likely some sun exposure.

I contacted Elektron support and they sent me a new screen for free that arrived in under a week. Back to good as new thumbs up

The Mk II / Digi... screens are much superior in all aspects. I ended up selling the Rytm Mk I after getting a Digitakt because I couldn't stand looking at the tiny screen of the Rytm in comparison.

How long ago did they send you a replacement? Was it an easy swap? I looked into the replacement ones you could get and it was mentioned that there was some easy soldering involved, which I can do, but it still worries me.

I have a second hand A4 which I love and is starting to show some fading signs. Leaving it on for an extended time helps a bit, but I'd love to have it looking new again.
lmgrovllum
shred wrote:
lmgrovllum wrote:

How long ago did they send you a replacement? Was it an easy swap? I looked into the replacement ones you could get and it was mentioned that there was some easy soldering involved, which I can do, but it still worries me.

I have a second hand A4 which I love and is starting to show some fading signs. Leaving it on for an extended time helps a bit, but I'd love to have it looking new again.

Sept 2018, not too long ago. The swap wasn't too tough, but you do need to be careful about soldering in the new screen as it's like 24 (or 36, I forget...) small pins. Just take your time and you'll be fine thumbs up
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2