MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Argos Bleak - what do we know?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> The Harvestman Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next [all]
Author Argos Bleak - what do we know?
guestt
Thanks mt3 grin

I was a little uncertain about posting it, I have about a dozen variants and I couldn't decide which one, this is one of the tamer ones - AB can go crazy - I think it's amazing!!
mt3
The crazier the better. You're at the right place for stripping off any inhibitions!
The Harvestman

Did you make that image?
governor blacksnake
timoka wrote:
can this module act as a simple quantizer? when i add a cv from a sequencer to input a and change scales on argos bleak i hear no difference at all, i think i set up everything correctly, but the scale selection seems to only have an effect when adding or subtracting semitones to a channel, is this right?
and is it possible, maybe in future to add custom scales?

Unlike Stillson Hammer (whose quantizer achieves different scale roots by transposing the slider settings upward), Argos Bleak takes a 12-tone chromatic scale, reduces it into your selected scale, and applies those selected intervals to your input signal to be quantized. There is a lot of redundancy in the available output CV scales as a result (C major is D dorian and so on). The quantizer should work within the selected scale on all channels even if you aren't using chords, rotation, or semitone shifts. Are you still having trouble getting the unit to do simple quantization? Tell me about your problem, I use it for this every day.

There's a lot of weirdness going on in the quantizer code to achieve the speed that it has over 4 channels, so unfortunately the scales are preset.
wireangel
Picked up my Argos Bleak from Perfect Circuit this week. Was excited to get it and have to say, after first play, it's amazing. Being able to simply manage a bank of oscillators so quickly changes how I can quickly make pitch/harmonic shifts, dramatically.

Nothing too clever so far, but being able to run 3 oscillators off of 2 Stillson Hammer tracks (1 from A, 1 from B and 1 from A+B) with B running /16 from A!!!! I think I turned on some delay and sat back and listened for about 40 mins! :-)

Did notice that I should really calibrate my oscillators as my HD mkii's mod oscillator was pitched differently than the carrier when both pots were at zero.

Thanks Governor, really great module.
wireangel
Soundcloud link of quick recording of above test patch. First line is Channel A controlling Piston Honda. Second line that enters is pure sawtooth from HD mkii controlled by Channel B. Last line to enter is the mod oscillator from HD mkii controlled by A+B. Some octave offsets were used on the individual oscillators.

Some delay and reverb added to make it more enjoyable!
;-)

Hope it's not too 'pretty' for Harvestman.

Soundcloud direct link[/s]

[s]https://soundcloud.com/cen-8/bleak-harvest[/s]
mt3
wireangel wrote:
Soundcloud link of quick recording of above test patch. First line is Channel A controlling Piston Honda. Second line that enters is pure sawtooth from HD mkii controlled by Channel B. Last line to enter is the mod oscillator from HD mkii controlled by A+B. Some octave offsets were used on the individual oscillators.

Some delay and reverb added to make it more enjoyable!
;-)

Hope it's not too 'pretty' for Harvestman.

Soundcloud direct link[/s]

[s]https://soundcloud.com/cen-8/bleak-harvest[/s]

Pretty?
Pretty brilliant.
wireangel
Cheers MT!

The Bleak seems so straightforward in some respects but it really seems to be some kind of magic. The ability to quickly manipulate pitch and harmonic relationships opens up tons for sequencer outputs, but is also awesome for designing drones etc.

It works so well with SH mkii and v2.0 is going to be a whole other level.
wireangel
Quick patch from this morning using the Bleak to combine a couple of channels from the SHii. Started with the melodic fragments (HDmkii) then took the modulating channel to derive the bass, which is IME Polivoks osc-filter-env-vca.

Patch uses CVA and B inputs from additional channels on the SHii to create the random melodic fragments.

Finding that the Bleak and Hammer are an amazing combination for creating motifs that can appear/disappear with the ability to derive additional 'versions' or elements.

Some delay and reverb added post in Live.

[s]https://soundcloud.com/cen-8/november-morning[/s]
rustyjaw
Just ordered an Argos Bleak! I'm super excited. I've basically been after something like this for a while, in fact I bought the SMR mainly because of the 1voct out feature that was added in FW5.0, this way I could drive up to 6 oscillators in a chord, and I got some nice results that way, but the level of control is limited. And the AB brings a lot more to the table besides.
rustyjaw
So I got the Argos Bleak today. Just before installing it, I noticed that the bottom-most trim pot is bent at about 45-degrees from the PCB. The other two are perfectly flush to it. I sent a report and this pic to IME support.

It powers on OK. I was able to update the FW. I stated to calibrate the HD MkII but when I connect to output 3 from
The AB, turning the trimpots on the HD I can only get it as high as G6...whereas the manual says that output 3 should be C7. This may be unrelated to the bent trim pot, but I have no idea.

mt3
Mine is also angled, so probably by design.
rustyjaw
mt3 wrote:
Mine is also angled, so probably by design.

Ah ok. That’s good to hear. Kind of curious though.

Now I’m stumped about the HD MkII calibration. If I don’t rotate the fine tune full CCW, but put it as close to center as I can (no detent), then I can get it to reach C7. I guess that’s ok?
mt3
rustyjaw wrote:
Now I’m stumped about the HD MkII calibration. If I don’t rotate the fine tune full CCW, but put it as close to center as I can (no detent), then I can get it to reach C7. I guess that’s ok?

rustyjaw wrote:
...whereas the manual says that output 3 should be C7.

The first line in the manual is the golden one:
Industrial Music Electronics oscillators such as the Hertz Donut or Piston Honda are already scaled to perform well with Argos Bleak.
Automagic.
rustyjaw
mt3 wrote:
rustyjaw wrote:

rustyjaw wrote:
...whereas the manual says that output 3 should be C7.

The first line in the manual is the golden one:
Industrial Music Electronics oscillators such as the Hertz Donut or Piston Honda are already scaled to perform well with Argos Bleak.
Automagic.

Yes, I did see that. However, I'd recently updated my HD FW and had calibrated it using the SH. That experience fresh in my mind, and having the tools out already, I thought I'd see how it went to the AB. That's when I hit a ceiling of C7. For now I just redid it with the SH.

I think I'm going to need a voltmeter in the near future to take the guessing out of all of this. Anyone have recommendations for one well suited to calibrating modular stuff?
mt3
Skip the voltmeter.
Mordax Data or OD ER-301.
rustyjaw
mt3 wrote:
Skip the voltmeter.
Mordax Data or OD ER-301.

Oh! Another excuse to get the 301!
guestt
No excuse not to get an ER-301 - king of the modular hill imho - the whole thing is just ridiculously good!

Actually there is one reason... it's not for those who don't like programming - if you are even a little bit geeky about that kind of thing - it's just insanely good!
Veqtor
I'm really interested in argos bleak, for its seemingly live playability and egonomics, but in my music I frequently use non-western scales such as "Japanese", Pelog, Slendro and Ryukyuan scales...
It would also be very nice to be able to adjust the temperament/tuning...
Any chance these functions will be added in a later firmware update?

Edit:
More suggestions:
Combinatorial modes of input A & B such as:
A%B (modulo)
A only octave + B without octave
(A + 1-12)%12 + B <<addition signified using dots blinking at various frequencies
A & B (bitwise and)
A ^B (bitwise xor)
hyena
you can also use references app in Ornament+Crime to have frequency metering\note value
mt3
Veqtor wrote:
I'm really interested in argos bleak, for its seemingly live playability and egonomics, but in my music I frequently use non-western scales such as "Japanese", Pelog, Slendro and Ryukyuan scales...
It would also be very nice to be able to adjust the temperament/tuning...
Any chance these functions will be added in a later firmware update?

Edit:
More suggestions:
Combinatorial modes of input A & B such as:
A%B (modulo)
A only octave + B without octave
(A + 1-12)%12 + B <<addition signified using dots blinking at various frequencies
A & B (bitwise and)
A ^B (bitwise or)

Yes to all.
guestt
+1 from me too thumbs up
wireangel
Definitely a fan of the combinatorial side of this module. Amazing how much variation you can derive from 2 sources whilst keeping them 'related'. The old Kurzweil K2k series had some great logical processing for control sources. Could definitely see much utility for different techniques, such as extracting the higher or lower of the 2 voltages or more transforms or scaling (multiplication) of one by the other.

LOL, somewhat more than an oscillator controller!
Villarceau
Argos is the many-eyed monster to me. eyes... eyes...
eyes... eyes... eyes... eyes...

And Bleak is how the world looks to it, doomed to gazing at it with at least one waking eye as it guards the herd relentlessy. screaming goo yo screaming goo yo screaming goo yo

I could not resist so much poetry and ordered the module.
Dead Banana
Veqtor
I couldn't resist. Ordered one. Hoping those scales will get some love... Also need blues scale! Rockin' Banana!
rustyjaw
Anyone else have odd behavior when storing a preset (via holding down the encoder while pressing Chord)?

I've done this while a sequence is playing through the Argos Bleak and everything goes a bit wonky at the moment of saving - and after saving, some settings seem to be changed.

I'm still getting to know this module, so I've not tracked exactly what may have changed before and after saving. If this continues to happen, I will submit a bug report. At this point, I just want to know if this is also happening for others.

My AB is updated to FW 1.3
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> The Harvestman Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next [all]
Page 5 of 7