MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Argos Bleak - what do we know?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> The Harvestman Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 [all]
Author Argos Bleak - what do we know?
mt3
dysonant wrote:
no idea why my last post was just a quote, I swear I posted something. Anyway, I have yet to test the Zorlon going into the Argos, but I will soon. Though here is my first patch with the Argos Bleak. Not quite so fancy, but I like being able to shift several VCOs at once

[s]http://soundcloud.com/dysonant/exocomp-5[/s]

Nice drop. What is the filtration(s) employed?
dysonant
mt3 wrote:
dysonant wrote:
no idea why my last post was just a quote, I swear I posted something. Anyway, I have yet to test the Zorlon going into the Argos, but I will soon. Though here is my first patch with the Argos Bleak. Not quite so fancy, but I like being able to shift several VCOs at once

[s]http://soundcloud.com/dysonant/exocomp-5[/s]

Nice drop. What is the filtration(s) employed?

Thanks. On the pad noise it was 2 channels of DPO (at related pitches, thanks Argos Bleak) into Three Sisters. The sub bass was an E352 with ch 1 out clean but a morphing cloud and ch2 multed out a sine clean and the other split into a Trogotronic m679. Which is giving all the filter spitting and chirping noise.
rustyjaw
Just came back to this thread to heap on more praise and "thank you"-s for this wonderful module. The more I use it, and get comfortable with it, the more impressed I am and the more fun I'm having with it. It's enabling me to go in new directions with my modular system, I love it.
RLK
I'm slow in getting confident command over this module.
One issue is I no longer am getting a trigger signal out.

That said here are a couple of recordings using "AB".
This is a simple patch with 2 saw wave oscillators through filters and the Verbos HO.
The fourth quantize channel is effecting the Verbos HO's harmonic spread.
One of the VHO's higher harmonic outs is serving as the fourth voice.
The clock is running the a Depltronics trigger man, which which gives four envelopes different rhythms to open each voice's VCA.

This patch has AB channeled as such:
Akemie's Castle. (set up in the sixth 1. 2-3, 4 algorithm)
1>Channel A. Operator 2 Harm Mult, Wave select
2>Operator1 Harm Mult, Wave select
3>Channel B. Operator 4 Harm Mult, Wave select
4> Operator 1 Harm Mult, Wave select

E352 2> invertor > Voit/oct
Elements 1>invertor> Volt/Oct
(Apologies I screwed up the gain when recording this. You may need to turn it up a bit.)

mt3
RLK wrote:

Welcome to Harvestman! Fortune favors the brave...

RLK wrote:

What firmware?
From the manual:
Argos Bleak Manual wrote:
QUANTIZER TRIGGER OUT - When Channel 1’s quantizer picks a new note based on the incoming voltage, a trigger event will re from this jack. It has no effect if channel 1’s quantizer is disabled.

I believe "ch 1 quantizer" is disabled when its SCALE TYPE is set to --.
RLK
Thanks mt3! Is it okay if i do NOT want my quantizer to require bravery? >80)
I'm using firmware 1.5
Same behavior, no trigger out even when changing scales on channel 1.
I also checked the output setting to be sure the "." bypass was not engaged.
There are other issues, but I want to be sure it's not just new user mistakes before sharing.
I definitely have to get used to remembering the color code for the buttons.
I think part of (my) problem is gaps in documentation.
"Internal routing and internal cv delay" in firmware 1.3 Great! But how is this accessed and implemented?
Another confusing thing is there are different readings on the display than are described in the manual. Example output types:
A, B, AB, A.B, A-B., then C3, C4, C5, etc.
Also there is an S2 setting in the slew that is not explained.
(edit) I see an explanation of the above items on revoltcrew's post (thank you!).
Why isn't this info on the site?
I'm sure part of problems I'm having were due to not having that info.

A list of the chord types in the chord presets would also be very helpful.

Sorry if I sound at all bitchy, I see a lot of potential with the AB and might be impatient to get over the learning "hump".

mt3 wrote:
RLK wrote:

Welcome to Harvestman! Fortune favors the brave...

RLK wrote:

What firmware?
From the manual:
Argos Bleak Manual wrote:
QUANTIZER TRIGGER OUT - When Channel 1’s quantizer picks a new note based on the incoming voltage, a trigger event will re from this jack. It has no effect if channel 1’s quantizer is disabled.

I believe "ch 1 quantizer" is disabled when its SCALE TYPE is set to --.
mt3
RLK wrote:
Thanks mt3! Is it okay if i do NOT want my quantizer to require bravery? >80)
I'm using firmware 1.5
Same behavior, no trigger out even when changing scales on channel 1.
I also checked the output setting to be sure the "." bypass was not engaged.
There are other issues, but I want to be sure it's not just new user mistakes before sharing.
I definitely have to get used to remembering the color code for the buttons.
I think part of (my) problem is gaps in documentation.
"Internal routing and internal cv delay" in firmware 1.3 Great! But how is this accessed and implemented?
Another confusing thing is there are different readings on the display than are described in the manual. Example output types:
A, B, AB, A.B, A-B., then C3, C4, C5, etc.
Also there is an S2 setting in the slew that is not explained.
(edit) I see an explanation of the above items on revoltcrew's post (thank you!).
Why isn't this info on the site?
I'm sure part of problems I'm having were due to not having that info.

A list of the chord types in the chord presets would also be very helpful

The firmware release notes are essentially manual addendums. Here is ver 1.3 update where S.2 is explained.

New feature: CV delay line. Each channel now has a short delay line that can be used instead of the slew limiter. To access it, select the “S.2” option from the slew selection menu of the desired channel and use the associated Slew knob to adjust the delay length. When active, the delay is also enabled/disabled by the slew gate input.

New feature: internal channel routing. Several input sources have been added to each channel’s input selection menu. Input sources C1-C4 take as their CV input the output of the named channel. This is useful for chaining channels to get longer CV delay times, or to try combinations of delay/slew while patching the intermediate output to another oscillator. If you select the input source “—“, the input is disabled and the only voltage sources for that output will be the octave knob, the detune knob, and the vibrato generator.

So C1 is Channel 1's output, C2 is Channel 2's output, etc.
Essentially this is an no-input internally-normalled quantizer/requantizer/dequantizer feedback loop scale morphmutator.
Set Ch 1 to C2 (Channel 2's output).
Set Ch 2 to C1 (Channel 1's output).
You can see the theoretical whatthafun already.

Plug Ch 1 output to HD Primary and Ch 2 output to HD Modulator.
Turn the knobs on Argos Bleak.
Listen.
Ignore the text captions below the knobs (they don't correspond to reality anymore, the manual is an effigy of ashes).
Listen.
Simple and quick unusual timbre (de)generator.
RLK
Great info, mt3 - thank you!
I did see some of this info on revoltcrew's post.

In fact yesterday, I incorporated that info into a copy of the manual.
I could share if anyone wanted to review/revise or use.

I also put together a "Bleak Cheat Sheet" (say that fast three times):

mt3
RLK wrote:
Great info, mt3 - thank you!
I did see some of this info on revoltcrew's post.

I also put together a "Bleak Cheat Sheet" (say that fast three times):

You win one internet!
SlayerBadger!
Sinamsis
I've had my Argos Bleak for a week or two, and have had limited time with it, but I'm slowly getting to know it. I've used it with the Stillson Hammer as the heart of these two patches.

This first one I used it to control 3 Kermit oscillators (I just snagged a seond, what a great idea!) for chords. Other voice is the PH sequenced by the SH. Shaker sound is from the second section of the Zorlon Cannon, sequenced by the first section, into the Malgorithm, Double Andore and then the Tyme Sefari. Kick from Basimilus Iteritas Alter.

This one used the SH/Argos Bleak to sequence the Hertz Donut (two outs of AB control each oscillator of the HD) as well as the Piston Honda. Zorlon Cannon sending gates to the Argos Bleak. SH sequences hat sounds from Polivoks modulator noise source into Dual Borg and then Double Andore, then Tyme Sefari. Kick from BIA.

mt3
RLK wrote:

Yes, please do.
robotopsy
Studying a lot the Argos !!!! Dead Banana Rockin' Banana!
Will enventually share the learnings
hopefully soooooon !!!! hmmm.....
guestt
robotopsy wrote:

Oooh yes please - been waiting for this!!!

we're not worthy
digitalohm
I've just started digging into the argos bleak. at first I felt there was too much overlap with the sh mk2, but now I'm enjoying having more of the sh mk2 tracks free for CV sequencing.

Definitely can't wait for the Robotospy video on it, I feel I haven't scratched the surface.

I'm currently feeding in values from the polivoks modulator s&h (basic quantizer patch). Does anyone know if the argos bleak possibly has a hidden offset parameter grin. I'm using a SSF S.P.O and Miggs to move the ranges of values around so the notes aren't all over the place. This would be a great feature to have internal to the bleak!
mt3
digitalohm wrote:
I've just started digging into the argos bleak. at first I felt there was too much overlap with the sh mk2, but now I'm enjoying having more of the sh mk2 tracks free for CV sequencing.

Definitely can't wait for the Robotospy video on it, I feel I haven't scratched the surface.

I'm currently feeding in values from the polivoks modulator s&h (basic quantizer patch). Does anyone know if the argos bleak possibly has a hidden offset parameter grin. I'm using a SSF S.P.O and Miggs to move the ranges of values around so the notes aren't all over the place. This would be a great feature to have internal to the bleak!

Do you mean being able to CV an offset?
digitalohm
mt3 wrote:
Do you mean being able to CV an offset?

no but that would be cool too. i did just realize that attenuation and the octave knob is working in a similar way as offset and attenuation would work for constraining values from the sample and hold very frustrating
jwise
robotopsy wrote:

Time is traveling forward and the masses are waiting on the Robotopsy....

Same goes for @MT3 who promised a video early on. There can never be too many videos as something in each one speaks to different people and we all typically learn something from somebody else's technique.
mt3
jwise wrote:
robotopsy wrote:

Time is traveling forward and the masses are waiting on the Robotopsy....

Same goes for @MT3 who promised a video early on. There can never be too many videos as something in each one speaks to different people and we all typically learn something from somebody else's technique.

Sadly, the stars are disaligned in opposition to my career as a filmographer. Video hard drive fatal crash, plus lack of a video workflow makes their production time-consuming.
I have something else in mind that may be more beneficial in general.

The Perfect Circuit vid actually captures the spectrum of possibility quite well, especially considering the majority of Argos Bleak's functionality wasn't even covered!
It can be quite daunting to demo any aspect of it without excluding much of its capability.
Sinamsis
I feel like I really have not tapped into the potential of my Argos Bleak. Today I sat down and tried to use it as a chord generator to control my Andromeda through the ADDAC 222. I fed it CV from Marbles and played around with swapping CV inputs from another input from Marbles. I also used Marbles to trigger the 222. All in all I found the result a little meh. I'm wondering if in this patch the most effective and musical thing to do would be to set up a few chord voicing as presets and CV through them.

Otherwise I've used it for FM indices, and I've also found the offset knobs per channel handy for some changes when performing. But I think partly I still don't know WTF I'm doing with this module, and partly even when I know what I'm doing, I don't know how to best use it. I've brought it over to my larger system, where I believe I'll get more use out of it. But I have to think there's a ton more I can be doing with this module (like it should be in every patch). Anyone with some patch examples for inspiration?

BTW where's that video robotopsy?!?! Haha.
rustyjaw
Sinamsis wrote:
'm wondering if in this patch the most effective and musical thing to do would be to set up a few chord voicing as presets and CV through them.

Anyone with some patch examples for inspiration?

I've literally used the AB in every patch since I got it, I find it immensely inspiring. I've used it in different ways, but the method you describe above is the most common way I use it. In fact, over the last few days I patched an ambient thing based around the Argos.

I treated the 4 Argos outputs as 2 pairs of dyads, one pair went to each osc in the HD MkII (I wanted perfectly matched Osc for this patch), the other pair went to Rings and 2HP Pluck (also I figured two string modelling modules might make for interesting overlap). Also, I used some vibrato on the Rings/Pluck pair to help tie them together.

I set up 8 presets on the Argos and used Track 4 on the SH to basically switch between 2 Argos presets at a time, and then I made 4 presets on the SH (each changing between 2 Argos presets) which I CVed from Rene, so every 32 beats, the SH moved to the next preset. Track 1 on the SH going to Input A on Argos.

The result is a simple ambient track, but I like the melodic progression the AB makes possible:

robotopsy
I'm waiting for this update Scott told me...... and also too busy right now waah

Sinamsis wrote:

BTW where's that video robotopsy?!?! Haha.
rustyjaw
robotopsy wrote:
I'm waiting for this update Scott told me...... and also too busy right now waah

Ooh, does that mean there is new firmware on the way?
RLK
Attaching a pdf with the content I revised in last March.
Sorry guys I got pulled away from this forum and the synth hobby for various reasons, then kind of forgot about it.
Then forgot where the files were!
To be fair - not sure why the info has not been put in the IME's documentation by this time.
mt3
RLK wrote:
Attaching a pdf with the content I revised in last March.
Sorry guys I got pulled away from this forum and the synth hobby for various reasons, then kind of forgot about it.
Then forgot where the files were!
To be fair - not sure why the info has not been put in the IME's documentation by this time.

SlayerBadger!
w00t
thumbs up
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> The Harvestman Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 [all]
Page 7 of 7