MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Palgue bearer in 4 (and a half) hp
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Flight of Harmony  
Author Palgue bearer in 4 (and a half) hp
sgnelson
So, I had a really bad idea when I ordered my plague bearer barebones pack. Given the lack of space in all euro racks, I decided I wanted to make my PB fit into a lot less than 8hp of space.

Unfortunately, I succeeded.

plague bearer in 4 (and a half) hp

It fits, and all the jacks are all usable at the same time. But it fits with an extra half of a hp that sticks out the side. You can see in the picture the knobs just barely overlap the synthacon filter. This isn't a problem though as the synthacon has extra room behind the faceplate. I think if I bought the barebones with the pots unsoldered, I could solder them on and manage to get the whole thing into 4 hp without "cheating." The gain input is at the top, with the High and Low CV's above the input and output at the bottom. The faceplate was made out of a front of a CD case, and I may eventually switch this out to acrylic or the like, I've just been too lazy to put the dimensions into a computer.

So, once I finally get around to building a new case, I'll have to order at least another PBBP, and see if I can fit 2 of the wonderful bastards in 8hp.

Thanks for the module flight, it's all it's cracked up to be and a whole lot more. It's a great waveshaper/filter.
ritchiedrums
lol Love It!!! It's the ANOREXIC PLAGUE
gwaidan
Great idea! I'd say the key to reducing the vertical spacing needs would be finding replacement pots in the same 12mm form factor as the Spectrol 248 pots (but cheaper)...you''l have a hard time getting the standard 16mm pots to give you the clearance
otto_tsr
so small, and yet so crazy!!! nice one.
BugBrand
Changing to 12mm pots (or perhaps even smaller) would maybe help to avoid the knobs hanging over the adjacent module?

http://www.banzaimusic.com/Alpha-12mm/

or even 9mm ones:
http://www.smallbearelec.com/Detail.bok?no=693
fivesteppath
Oh man this is painful to see. I have a feeling I might be doing something similar though xP.
negativspace
Those stock knobs are 16mm in diameter (Rean P670s?) at the base. If you were to use the same ones as on the adjacent Maths module - Rean P400S series - they are only 12.5mm. I don't know if that will make it a perfect fit, but it will get you a good bit closer. (Mouser should have some in stock to fit those 6mm-splined-shaft pots - with various line colors - for about $0.70 apiece.)

I also find the stock PB knobs to be a little bit too close together for their size, so the P400s will work better in use as well IMO. (I really should order some replacements for mine, now that I'm thinking about it.)

And FWIW, I did my DIY Plague Bearer in 6hp and found that to be a perfect fit.
sgnelson
negativspace wrote:
Those stock knobs are 16mm in diameter (Rean P670s?) at the base. If you were to use the same ones as on the adjacent Maths module - Rean P400S series - they are only 12.5mm. I don't know if that will make it a perfect fit, but it will get you a good bit closer. (Mouser should have some in stock to fit those 6mm-splined-shaft pots - with various line colors - for about $0.70 apiece.)

I also find the stock PB knobs to be a little bit too close together for their size, so the P400s will work better in use as well IMO. (I really should order some replacements for mine, now that I'm thinking about it.)

And FWIW, I did my DIY Plague Bearer in 6hp and found that to be a perfect fit.

It's funny you mention that, I did change the knobs a while back. I also had Lugi (tragedybysyntax) make up a pretty cool, real aluminum faceplate for it (just in time as the old one had started to crack).

And I agree, 6hp would be a good size, but when I made this I only had a 4hp hole, and luckily there was space to the side, behind the faceplate of the synthacon filter.

latest image:
cleaninglady
i just ordered a barebones so i may hit you up for some advice

SlayerBadger!

cL
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Flight of Harmony  
Page 1 of 1