MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

VBrazil Systems Lizard 2 mk2
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author VBrazil Systems Lizard 2 mk2
icaroferre
Hi fellow wigglers. I recently got my hands on a VBrazil Systems Lizard 2 mk2 module and, since it’s quite a hard-to-get module (Vinicius still only makes them to order and by hand) and some people wanted to know more about it on FB and Instagram, I thought it’d be cool to share some stuff related to it with you guys.

So, here’s what this module is all about: it’s an sequencer and sequential switcher with 8 steps.
What’s unique about it is that it has an internal clock that can go up to oscillator range (8kHz according to my tuner), tracks 1v/oct and it has an FM input.
Because this internal oscillator can track 1v/oct at audio-rate, the sequencer becomes an oscillator and each of the 8 steps control 1/8 of the waveform. In other words, when in VCO mode, you can use the 1-8 knobs to “draw” you waveforms.
The sequencer can also be switched to a 4-steps mode and it features 2 modes: A (Forward) and B (Ping-Pong). Mode B is specially cool when in VCO mode because it generates more complex waveforms by mirroring 8 steps.
The Lizard 2 can also take 8 different inputs (1-8 Wave Inputs) and switch between them in sync with the sequencer (so Wave 1 is selected when the Sequencer is also on Step 1). Both the sequencer and sequential switch parts work simultaneously and have separate outputs (1-2).
The module also includes a Square output (internal clock), a Hard Sync input, Course and Fine frequency controls for the internal oscillator and an attenuator for the FM input.
While this version does not have an ext clock input, Vinicius told me that he’s planning on adding it to the next update.

As a Brazilian, I gotta say this is one of the best brazilian modules ever made. The build quality is amazing and it's extremely versatile. SlayerBadger!

Here are a couple of pictures and audio demos from the module:

[s]http://soundcloud.com/icaro-ferre/lizard2-vco-mode-demo-1[/s]
[s]http://soundcloud.com/icaro-ferre/lizard2-wave-input-demo-1[/s]
More demos available at https://soundcloud.com/icaro-ferre/sets/vbrazil-systems-lizard-2-mk2-d emos/s-cXR1l

More information about it can be found on ModularGrid and on VBrazil's website.

Anyway, hope you guys enjoy this and sorry for the long post!
Mcranioex
very good lizard 2
Dogma
Whats the $$ on the module?
icaroferre
Dogma wrote:
Whats the $$ on the module?

U$290 thumbs up

Not too expansive in my opinion.
smetak
error
Bbman
Has the Vinicius Electrik Lizard Oscillator Sequencer been relaunched/updated? Not much info on this other than there have been versions going back to 2013 at least. Seem to be available on their site and at dealers as a stand alone or part of a system.

Any thoughts or info on this are welcome.

[/img]
Zymos
Just got an email from Perfect Circuit that they have them.

I got a demo at Knobcon and it sounded great!
spinalbeatz
Just picked one up from Perfect Circuit! Can't wait to dive into it. Does anyone know where to find the manual online? Couldn't find it on the Vinicius website.
smetak
spinalbeatz wrote:
Just picked one up from Perfect Circuit! Can't wait to dive into it. Does anyone know where to find the manual online? Couldn't find it on the Vinicius website.

The site doesn't have a manual to download and don't know if Vinicius ever got to write one - I'll drop him a line on it - what module did you get? The Lizard, right? Any specific doubts on it?
spinalbeatz
Yes, picked up the Lizard and got to rack it last night. No doubts whatsoever, it sounds great, although I've only really messed with the Chord Type so far.

This video has helped me understand most of the module so far though:

smetak
I've sent him an email yesterday on the topic. But still no reply.

Vinicius is a fascinating character, brilliant, even, someone I have personally known for a good many years; he's able to create very decent analogue gear from thin air.....almost a miracle for we live in Brazil, where everything is terribly hard to get a hold of and expensive as hell. Modular synths, here, in this dark, dense, forsaken jungle, are a thing of fiction, absurdly esoteric, a form of electric black magic pushed to the fringes (in Rio, where we live, there's probably not more than a few lost souls into this - in São Paulo, from the little I know, the community may be larger if compared to Rio, yet, still, it exists on a microscopic level).

Vinicius, as far as I know, is the prime modular-euro-maker in this country (there's EMW, but Vinicius' work is on a much higher level, a totally different dimension). Despite being able to create this all from scratch, he tends to slide, from time to time, onto the "off mode". At the moment, I'm pestering him for a 3U powered-skiff - will it be built? Yes, eventually. But I'll have to wait until he's switched back to the "on mode"....

Despite the setbacks, I'm a big fan of his work and have attempted, on various occasions, to send some of it to Shawn at AH or personally present the modules to the nice folks at Control. But for some reason the timing is never right....

Now, I see there are a new batch of people, who I don't know, attempting to help Vinicius in promoting his work - I wish them the best of luck! Truly hope they succeed in getting Vinicius' modules out there.
dooj88
i've only been able to get 10 minutes or so into the video, but it looks amazing. it's so damn versatile.. an LFO sequencer?.. haven't come across that before.

someone posted a full VBrazil rack rack recently and it immediately caught my eye. i'm definitely interested in getting some modules. there seems to be a lot of care put into the design and functionality.

based on what smetak is saying, it comes across about the designer in the module.
researchclub
If you want a good price module down here in Brazil (with quick turnaround) the best choice is Pantala Labs.

https://www.facebook.com/pantalalabs/

Gibran is super down to earth and has a good selection of basic modules and weird ones too (Also cases!). I can compare his modules with Ladik if you need some sort of reference.
smetak
Vinicius was in São Paulo, thus the delay in the reply

He did send me the manual for the Lizard module - five-page PDF file, but I have no idea how to upload the file here, to Muff - anyone give me a hand on this? [/list]
smetak
dooj88 wrote:
i've only been able to get 10 minutes or so into the video, but it looks amazing. it's so damn versatile.. an LFO sequencer?.. haven't come across that before.

someone posted a full VBrazil rack rack recently and it immediately caught my eye. i'm definitely interested in getting some modules. there seems to be a lot of care put into the design and functionality.

based on what smetak is saying, it comes across about the designer in the module.

The modules are designed by Vinicius, here, in Rio - but they are all made in the US. Unfortunately, he's not making his multi-lfo module, which is really it - I have the original, black-faced panel - really great.
smetak
researchclub wrote:
If you want a good price module down here in Brazil (with quick turnaround) the best choice is Pantala Labs.

https://www.facebook.com/pantalalabs/

Gibran is super down to earth and has a good selection of basic modules and weird ones too (Also cases!). I can compare his modules with Ladik if you need some sort of reference.

I second that!

Gibran is really great! Very professional and lightning fast! I'm a big fan of his work, especially his cases.

For us, poor souls, who dwell on the fringes of the earth, and are into the sweet sounds of car alarms and cats in heat, Gibran is a breath of fresh air!

More to the south, in Argentina, things are a great deal better. An Arturia Rackbrute can be easily snatched and for a very decent price (in Brazil, such esoteric item is unheard of.....I've tried to get one, but gave up) - and there are a few very good manufacturers - one that comes to mind is this guy here:

https://sintetizadores.mercadoshops.com.ar/

Unfortunately, never had the chance to see his work personally, but from the snapshots, they seem quite up there. The 6U modular case with power et al. which looks mighty sturdy, is around $23.300 pesos ar - or US$620. An excellent price for South America.
smetak
This might be of aid:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLgq_puKsr8LICjV9A9h0rPGRly6eIQO 96

As said, got hold of the panflet - 5 page PDF file - if anyone wants one, just drop me a line.
spinalbeatz
Thank you smetak for the PDF and link to those videos!

This module continues to amaze me. So much functionality and I haven't even begun to dig into the audio switcher. One thing I'm a little lost on is "Type 4" of the Chord mode. It's listed as a CV switcher on the manual, but doesn't describe what that is and he doesn't touch on it in his videos... Any guidance would be much appreciated.
smetak
spinalbeatz wrote:
Thank you smetak for the PDF and link to those videos!

This module continues to amaze me. So much functionality and I haven't even begun to dig into the audio switcher. One thing I'm a little lost on is "Type 4" of the Chord mode. It's listed as a CV switcher on the manual, but doesn't describe what that is and he doesn't touch on it in his videos... Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Not to worry - I'll ask him - should bump into him soon (he's mounting a 6U skiff for me). Any other doubts, just send them in!
Kummer
love the white knobs on red faceplate
smetak
Sent the questions directly to Vinicius, who should answer them directly, here, on the forum.

But, yes, there seems to be some mix up in the manual:

From the Manual:

"Mode 6 - CHORDS

In this mode you can create chords up to 5 notes, one being the main and the other four, slaves. With pots from 1 to 4 you set the deviation in semitones, from zero to 15 semitones.

With pots from 5 to 8 you adjust the volume / mix of each slave oscillator, allowing you to make chords with notes in different volumes or chords with less notes.
Type 1 - Saw Chord
Type 2 - Triangle Chord
Type 3 - Square Chord
Type 4 - CV switcher"

According to Vinicius, the Chord Mode are Types 1 , 2 e 3 while type 4 is not CHORDS, but another Mode.

He continues: In the CV Switcher Mode, you controle, via CV, the active step; thus, OUT1 will send the the value "POT_x" while OUT2 will send what it receives in "WaveInput_x". - Attempted to translate this directly from Portuguese - hope it makes some sense. Personally, I don't have the Lizard, so I'm of limited help - Vinicius will probably drop by soon enough to clear things up.
VBrazil
Hi friends, here Vinicius Brazil.

Thanks Smetak! the MultiLFO module is called MultiWaves in US, because LFO1 now is VCO too.

The Mode 6 Type 4 in LIZARD is another mode, not a CHORD mode, i think i need to clarify this on the manual.
It works like Smetak described.
Dragonaut
When I see a module like this I start to understand how you guys fall down the rabbit hole.
VBrazil
Some very importants comments:

- This is a real 1MHz sample rate module!!!

- This Module isn´t bandlimited VCO, is a Pseudo NCO, full of harmonics...

Some videos (but in portuguese):
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLgq_puKsr8LICjV9A9h0rPGRly6eIQO 96
smetak
Dragonaut wrote:
When I see a module like this I start to understand how you guys fall down the rabbit hole.

Falling down the rabbit hole is at the very heart of wiggling.....
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1